Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical

ralph1464

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am a M6 guy (Film!!! Imagine!) but I am looking into buying a M9.

Does anybody have experience whether the two Voightlander leneses I own:

1. Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical

2. the 15mm Aspherical

can be coded and are useable on the M9?

I own also Leica lenses but the ones above are critical.

Many thanks!

2. the 15mm Aspherical

Many thanks!

I use the 15mm lens on the M9, manually set via menu to old 21mm. Best value, IMHO.

12mm f/5.6 is an excellent lens on the M9. Coded as 21/2.8 pre-asph. With latest firmware no further correction needed. Here's an example: FreeWiFi.jpg

I'm not sure if the picture posted has cropped out the corners?

I know with the new version of the CV15mm (rangefinder coupled), I still need to use Cornerfix to remove the Cyan corners.

Do you find yourself needing to use Cornerfix for your color photos taken with the CV12mm?

I'm not sure if the picture posted has cropped out the corners?

I know with the new version of the CV15mm (rangefinder coupled), I still need to use Cornerfix to remove the Cyan corners.

Do you find yourself needing to use Cornerfix for your color photos taken with the CV12mm?

What lens profile are you choosing on the M9?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One of your pictures is cropped, and the other could, depending on the orientation of the camera, have any red edge (that appears on the left side of a horizontal frame)disguised at the bottom of the photograph in the shadows. Do you have anything 'normal' that doesn't have heavy shadow or cropping because this is very interesting?

Steve

I have both lenses. Mine are both screw mount with adapters coded as 21 pre-ASPH. I have all my lenses <50mm coded and find that more convenient than using the manual menu. Since the firmware update before the most recent, I have not needed to use Cornerfix on any shots I've taken with either of these lenses. That isn't to say it won't ever be necessary, but at ISO 320 and below I don't think it will. Above 320, perhaps some compositions with light, solid colors in the corners may show a red cast, but so far I haven't found any that did.

2. the 15mm Aspherical

Many thanks!

The advice you have received so far here is correct. If you code the 12mm as a the 21mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M pre-ASPH (11134) it will generally be fine on the M9, although you can occasionally get some faint red edge on the left. Very rare, but it can happen. The key is to have the latest firmware version--either 1.162 or better yet, 1.174 to prevent any SD card issues (or rather, reduce most of them).

The 15mm will still not work, however. It will require CornerFix. You can greatly reduce the problem using the same profile as used for the 12mm, but you can't eliminate the problem.

Jeff

What lens profile (on the CV15mm) are you choosing on the M9?

For the 15mm, I've made up my own profiles, based on trying to follow the instructions on the Cornerfix site.

I seem to get a bit of deterioration in picture detail/increased noise levels at the corners of the frame (in particular the left side of the photo when in landscape).

I use the non-lens coded setting and have created my profiles at various ISO and various f stops....

I can get some good results, and I can also get some fairly mediocre results depending on the subject matter and lighting conditions.

I seem to get a bit of deterioration in picture detail/increased noise levels at the corners of the frame (in particular the left side of the photo when in landscape).

Rob,

CornerFix work essentially by amplifying the corners, so noise gets amplified as well. If you want, you can go to the preferences, and dial back the "Luminance" correction. With Luminance at 0 and Chroma at 1, CornerFix will be correcting only for color shift, not "normal vigenetting", so won't be amplifying as much.

Sandy

Rob,

CornerFix work essentially by amplifying the corners, so noise gets amplified as well. If you want, you can go to the preferences, and dial back the "Luminance" correction. With Luminance at 0 and Chroma at 1, CornerFix will be correcting only for color shift, not "normal vigenetting", so won't be amplifying as much.

Sandy

Thanks Sandy,

I really appreciate the advice. I'll give it a try and see how it goes!