shift lens

cirke

Advertisement (gone after registration)

thanks

anything for CanonTSE 24 ?

The Canon lenses use electronic aperture control so that makes it tough to adapt to other cameras. There are adapters for EOS lenses for the Sony Nex (and perhaps other mirrorless cameras) that have a diaphragm in them for aperture control I don't know how well this works to have an aperture in this location on a shift lens. (Or other lenses for that matter, but it will be off center when the lens is shifted and I think that would be a no no.)

If there is enough room, maybe such an adapter could be made for the M.

may I quote myself:

"The best is, of course, working with a tripod, because there is only one way to arrive to the desired framing: by trial and error. But with a little practice you will be able to do it without the tripod. My procedure is as if I would be working with a view camera."

I mean: what the groundglass was in the past is now the display, but because there is no liveview, you must cope with a certain delay: you shoot, and then inspect the image on the display, and eventually correct the shifting. Therefore the need of a tripod, or of experience that substitute it.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

and through the modified 18 mm accessory viewfinder you wil see the shift ?

No, you will only be able to see the shift through the lens if you use a Visoflex with the M9. Everything else will be trial and error by chimping the M9's LCD, adjusting, and reshooting as necessary.

Pete.

No, you will only be able to see the shift through the lens if you use a Visoflex with the M9. Everything else will be trial and error by chimping the M9's LCD, adjusting, and reshooting as necessary.

Pete.

I do not think you can use a visoflex. An SLR lens will not focus to infinity.

The Canon lenses use electronic aperture control so that makes it tough to adapt to other cameras. There are adapters for EOS lenses for the Sony Nex (and perhaps other mirrorless cameras) that have a diaphragm in them for aperture control I don't know how well this works to have an aperture in this location on a shift lens. (Or other lenses for that matter, but it will be off center when the lens is shifted and I think that would be a no no.)

If there is enough room, maybe such an adapter could be made for the M.

There is a ring from Novoflex for adapting Canon EOS lenses on the M cameras.

It would allow you to shoot with the 24TS 2nd model, a wonderful lens, BTW.

Are you sure? I can't find this on the Novoflex site. I have been using the new 24 and 17 tse lenses for architecture since they first came out and I think they are amazingly good lenses.

Edited by AlanG

but I have heard that you can use EOS lenses only at full aperture, there is no aperture control with the ring because this control is in the lenses

I have the 24 TSE II in its category certainly the best one can find

...sorry for the misinformation I gave regarding the Novoflex ring. There isn't one!

And you are right, Erick, there's not a diaphragm ring on the Canon 24 TS 2nd version.

If I would be you, having already the 5DII and the new Canon 24TS, I would keep it, no doubt. The quality of the new 24TS is very very high, the 1st. version's problem are no longer there.

I sold my 5D + 24TS because it was the 1st 5D and the 1st 24TS. The quality I obtain with the M9 + 28PC is certainly higher, and I've learned to live with the smaller angle of view.

• 10 months later...
Yes - a Novoflex adapter for the SLR shift lens of your choice. I tried a Nikon and it was perfect. In fact the result was better than on the D700 of the bloke I borrowed it from, probably because of the shifted pixels. That you lose the rangefinder focussing is no big deal, shift lenses should be stopped down quite a bit anyway and you will probably be on a tripod with a static subject allowing you to chimp and framing/focus-bracket

Jaap I phoned Novoflex to see if they had an adaptor to enable the use of a Canon TS-E TSE 90mm F2.8 f/2.8 Tilt Shift Lens on the M9 and was told no. Please do you know of any other supplier of such an adaptor? And has there been any mention of a Leica tilt shift for the M - I see that one has been introduced for the S system?

I am interested in this facility as I like to photograph wild flowers.

Many thanks for any guidance or thoughts that you, and indeed other Forum members, might have.

Jaap I phoned Novoflex to see if they had an adaptor to enable the use of a Canon TS-E TSE 90mm F2.8 f/2.8 Tilt Shift Lens on the M9 and was told no. Please do you know of any other supplier of such an adaptor? And has there been any mention of a Leica tilt shift for the M - I see that one has been introduced for the S system?

Many thanks for any guidance or thoughts that you, and indeed other Forum members, might have.

The issue with EOS lenses (including the TSE ones) is that the diaphragm is controlled electronically. And the Nikon PC-E lenses have electronic diaphragms too. One company has made an EOS to Nex adapter that translates the Nex's electronic impulses to what the EOS lens uses. But the M has no electronic connection for lenses so a similar adapter won't work for the M. There also is an EOS to Nex adapter that has a mechanical diaphragm in it and a similar one could be made for the M. I don't know how well this concept works and I can't see it working at all with shifted lenses.

The best solution is a powered adapter that has its own battery and can control the aperture. Hartblei seems to have all of that figured out since they made such a system already... but for their own camera. If they feel there is money to be made in such an adapter for the M, they could make one. The other company that could probably do this too is Alpa as they just introduced a new camera that can use EOS lenses. So I assume they have figured out how to control them.

Since you are after an 85mm lens you can always use a medium format or enlarging lens with a tilt/shift adapter. Zoerk makes these and so do other companies. And Schneider makes a 90 tilt shift and you might be able to find one of the old ones from Hartblei or Arsat. So this would be the simplest method right now. There is an older Nikon 85 PC that has a mechanical diaphragm so you might be able to find a used one of these.

Edited by AlanG
  • Like 1

I think you would be better off getting a Nikon lens, or an R 35 pc or 28 PC lens.

• Like 1

I have used in the past a Nikon 28mm PC

which I liked very much. It wasn't the sharpest

lens I ever used but when you needed a little

lens correction, it did the trick. So, recently

I had the opportunity to pick up the Schneider

equivalent. It has a changeable lens mount

and Schneider sells both the Nikon and Canon

EOS Mounts. I read somewhere that Leica copied

this Schneiders lens. I don't know if thats true

or not but this Schneider is the finest 28mm

Shift Shift lens I ever used on a 35mm camera.

I've never seen or used the Leica so I can't

say how they compare. The only caveat is when

this lens is used with the Leica M9 you

can't shift it as much as if it were on an

SLR body. The color will shift a bit on

the edges if you go to far. I'm using it with

the Nikon F mount and a NOVOFLEX Nikon to

Leica M adapter. Its all a little fiddly but it

does work. You may want to look for a PC

lens that doesn't lock you into only one

camera system though I understand the

Canon shift lenses are very good.

BTW, the Leica lens is the 21mm f/3.4

Super-Elmar-M ASPH.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1