IR-absorbing cover glass broken for second time!

Prem

Hi

I have the same problem !!

My camera will go to Solms with yours, they can meet together and be happy :rolleyes:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

... I have the same problem !! ...

There are folks who are collecting data on this phenomenon. Please be sure to enter your serial number in Lars's thread http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/133186-cracked-sensor-serial-numbers-only.html?highlight=serial+number.

And I'm curious about the OP's question as well.

Those of you who have experienced cracked sensor glass: Are you cleaning the sensor yourself...?

Yes I do clean my own sensor, who else would clean it? But that has nothing to do with it. Don't go and start up an hysterical urban myth that cleaning your sensor has anything to do with cracked sensor glass.

Steve

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes I do clean my own sensor, who else would clean it? But that has nothing to do with it. Don't go and start up an hysterical urban myth that cleaning your sensor has anything to do with cracked sensor glass.

Steve

Steve,

How can you be so sure that it has nothing to do with it?

I don't know what the M9 user manual say, but the equivalent Canon 1Ds III manual states clearly that one shall not touch the sensor with anything. Just use a blower and leave the rest to a professional service shop. Still the Canon service here in Norway experience a lot of repair as a result of users cleaning their sensors themselves. My impression was that it was the shutters that took most of the beating.

It has nothing to do with it because Leica themselves have already owned up to the problem - identifying a faulty 'batch' from Kodak. Besides, many of those who have reported the problem have not cleaned their sensor.

Steve,

I don't know what the M9 user manual say, but the equivalent Canon 1Ds III manual states clearly that one shall not touch the sensor with anything. Just use a blower and leave the rest to a professional service shop. Still the Canon service here in Norway experience a lot of repair as a result of users cleaning their sensors themselves. My impression was that it was the shutters that took most of the beating.

Yes - because idiots use "B" to clean their sensor.:rolleyes:

:confused:How much pressure do you put on the swab??:eek: You are supposed to swab the sensor lightly with it, not to push it through the IR filter on to the microlenses!

Actually I find the smaller swabs much more effective and easier to use than the full-sized ones.

Steve

Exactly. How many serial episodes of cracked sensor glass are there with other brands? Especially cracks attributable to sensor cleaning.

It is a design/manufacture flaw on Kodak's part. I had a S2P replaced because of a cracked sensor and I never even had a chance to clean the sensor. There was no way for Leica to know this issue, since it happened well after the QC phase.

They are fixing them, and that's what counts.

-Marc

There's nothing wrong with wet cleaning your own sensor. But it requires a certain... Bit of common sense. First, yes - do not use bulb. That's an accident waiting to happen. Secondly, you shouldn't be applying any pressure to the swab. Just enough to make even contact as you swipe across the sensor. The kits come with instructions. Read them. ;)

I prefer to wet clean as little as possible. Only if all other methods fail to dislodge the larger specks. I can live with a few small ones; it's not often I shoot skies at f/16 anyway... You can try a brush and a blower first and that's usually all that's needed. It's the oily spots that are troublesome, as no blowing or brushing will remove those.

Steve,

I don't know what the M9 user manual say, but the equivalent Canon 1Ds III manual states clearly that one shall not touch the sensor with anything. Just use a blower and leave the rest to a professional service shop.

With respect to a fine sub-section of the photographic industry I think it is fair to say you don't need a qualification to work in a Cleaning Salon, just the up front temerity to make people think it is a skilled job.

Steve

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

2th January > MY M9 IS BACK HOME !!!!!

The camera looks as new after returning from Solms.

I cannot wait to start shooting again.

I pray that it will not happen for a third time!!

For now I'm just happy :D

I wish all of you the best wishes for 2012 !!

best regards,

Prem :)

• Like 4

Good news Prem!

I think my camera was in better overall condition after it came back from having the sensor replaced than before. There is a very clear line I can draw between getting greasy oil spots on the sensor before the crack, and after it came back when sensor cleaning was reduced considerably. Before my Arctic Butterfly brush would drag oil onto the sensor if even a hair went beyond the edge, but after it came back nothing at all is dragged back onto the sensor. 'Every cloud has a silver lining' as they say!

Steve

• 3 months later...
Those of you who have experienced cracked sensor glass: Are you cleaning the sensor yourself...?

Michael Reid , Apr 22, 2012; 01:36 a.m. (edit )

Please be aware of Leica M9. On April 9th 2012 I discovered to my horror that I had a cracked infrared sensor. This created a bubble like anomaly in the sky of my photographs. I travel a lot and had not used this particular camera for some time. The warranty expired on April 9th 2012. Coincidentally...! I took the camera in for repair at Schmidt Marketing (HK) Ltd. They refused to honour my two year warranty. My Leica M9 was originally purchased in New Zealand from Lacklands. Warranty is recognised worldwide, when one travels to foreign destinations. The cost for the repair US$2000 +. Frankly, I am disgusted with the way I was treated by the above.

Thinking it was dust and being duly worried I very lightly cleaned the sensor. This action of 15 seconds in durations disqualified me for making use of my warranty. MJR: mad:

In answer to your question... I would be very wary of cleaning the sensor if the camera is still in warranty. The sensor can be mistaken for the glass cover (greenish colour)