Jobo Colour Darkroom ...

jimbo-drummond

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all, new to using this forum....

I have just bought a Jobo CPP-2 manual colour processor from ebay. It was cheap as it needed some servicing. I had to replace all the retaining clips on the Lift. I have put Heatshrink over the drain pipe to prevent any further leaks over the motor. The only fault is loose conection to the LCD display, such that although it works fine, it flickers from dim to bright occassionally. In all it has cost £200.

I found the drain pipe on the Jobo processors with a Lift is made from Fish Pond Pump Hose. Unfortunately, that is only available in 20mm or 25mm, The jobo is 22m (7/8") and it does not stretch, so I have repaired the original pipe.

I am very please to find a cheap CPP-2 instead of the CPE-2 as it will control the temperature to 1:10th of a degree C (instead of with 1+1/2 degrees C as in the CPA and CPE) as I intend to develop my own E6 slides.

I also intend to have another go at Cibachrome - which is still available amazingly but mighty expensive. The variable motor on the CPP-2 means I can set to "F" instead of "P" (which I read once meant "Film" or "Paper" although the recent instructions on line say use "P", 75 rpm, for everything, including film, except for Cibachrome where it says use "F", a slower speed of 25 rpm as this will help control the contrast.

As the world is going digital, I am determined to go retro!

I would be really interested to hear of your experiences using the Jobo colour processors - particularly for E6 and Cibachrome. Any good tips?

I like nature and landscape and wildlife. What do you still take with colour chemistry?

Positive experiences, please!

Edited by jimbo-drummond
typo

the only thing I can share is that Cibachrome processing is very dangerous to your health if I recall correctly.

:eek: Believe it or not, I was looking for a Cibachrome or similar outfit,etc. You have given us the warning, what is your recollection of the story? Thanks, David

:eek: Believe it or not, I was looking for a Cibachrome or similar outfit,etc. You have given us the warning, what is your recollection of the story? Thanks, David

Google is your best source as usual. I don't recall details, it was back in the day when I was spending a lot of time printing B&W (last printed 13 years ago). I just remember being warned about the carcinogenic dangers of the Cibachrome process.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Google is your best source as usual. I don't recall details, it was back in the day when I was spending a lot of time printing B&W (last printed 13 years ago). I just remember being warned about the carcinogenic dangers of the Cibachrome process.

OK, did that, apparently it's non-carcinogenic, but you've got to keep it out of your eyes. Also, wash it off any part of you it gets onto. Thanks for your info. David

I am not sure that Ilfochrome is still available. On the Ilford site it is only mentionned for proffesional labs ILFORD ILFOCHROME

I used it couple of years ago and can only say that it is not easy and expensive. A 2 liter kit costs 60 Euro, and 50 sheets of 25x30 go for 150 Euro. On the other hand the prints are brilliant. For supply outside the UK as reference:Heimlabor und Fotolaborbedarf bei Foto Mayr

Good luck,

Jean

Unfortunately, your timing with Ilfochrome is rather unlucky. There is rumor reported here that Ilfochrome will soon be terminated because of lack of demand and price increases in raw materials.

Ilfo/Cibachrome has always been expensive, but the results are nothing short of spectacular. It also has very good archival properties. I have 25 year old Cibachrome prints here, and the colors are still like new. If you are still serious about Ilfochrome I suggest that you go out and try to stock up on paper and chemicals ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I received a newsletter from German online retailer Phototec announcing a price hike of 30% for Ilfochrome materials effective Dec. 1. I cannot imagine they would raise prices if they would already plan to EOL the product. Seems that the reports about Ilfochrome's demise were exaggerated. Well, sometimes increased prices are good news! :D