best portrait lens for M9 Suggestions

vinster

Portraits can be made with any damn lens – but they will be different kinds of portraits, of course. A 35mm lens is excellent for across-the-table portraits, for instance – portraits with environment (and there's the group portraiit too, of course. That is one great tradition. Guess what focal length Rembrandt used for The Night Watch?)

Now if you believe that 'portrait' means 'glorified passport mug shot' a 90mm lens is best of course. Unless the subject disapproves violently, in which case you need something longer. But a mug shot is not a portrait, only a registration of the geometry of the victim's facial features. A portrait tells us about a person's personality, his/her way of expressing him/herself.

But yes, a 50mm lens is also great for portraiture. I understand that Doctor Tulp's Anatomy was shot with a 50mm Rigid Summicron ;-)

The old man from the Age of Oil Paint and Gelatine

• Like 8

50 or 90 IMHO. One of my favourite portrait lenses ever was the Canon EF 85 1.2 L - but it was so heavy, and I now don't use the Canon for this kind of work. On M9 (for me) the 50 lux asph or 90 summicron asph are right. I never got on with 75 on Leica M. If you subscribe to the over-clinical school, you can get older iterations that are lovely.

Yes, it depends on what are trying to achieve.

I finished a portrait shoot with a Nikon 85mm f/2 that was manufactured just after the war (lens is stamped Made In Occupied Japan).

It works well and costs 25% of a new Leica lens.

Nice write up here:

Nikon | Imaging Products | NIKKOR - The Thousand and One Nights / Tale 36 : Nikkor P.C 8.5 cm f/2

Yes, it depends on what are trying to achieve.

I finished a portrait shoot with a Nikon 85mm f/2 that was manufactured just after the war (lens is stamped Made In Occupied Japan).

It works well and costs 25% of a new Leica lens.

Nice write up here:

Nikon | Imaging Products | NIKKOR - The Thousand and One Nights / Tale 36 : Nikkor P.C 8.5 cm f/2

What is Nikon?

Portraits can be made with any damn lens – but they will be different kinds of portraits, of course. A 35mm lens is excellent for across-the-table portraits, for instance – portraits with environment (and there's the group portraiit too, of course. That is one great tradition. Guess what focal length Rembrandt used for The Night Watch?)

Now if you believe that 'portrait' means 'glorified passport mug shot' a 90mm lens is best of course. Unless the subject disapproves violently, in which case you need something longer. But a mug shot is not a portrait, only a registration of the geometry of the victim's facial features. A portrait tells us about a person's personality, his/her way of expressing him/herself.

But yes, a 50mm lens is also great for portraiture. I understand that Doctor Tulp's Anatomy was shot with a 50mm Rigid Summicron ;-)

The old man from the Age of Oil Paint and Gelatine

Good advice and some subtle wit to boot.

As you move in closer to your subject, the distance between yourself and something close (like the tip of a nose) decreases at a greater rate than the distance between yourself and something farther away (like an ear). Since a shorter lens, like a 35mm, requires you to move in closer, the features of your subjects face will be exaggerated. A longer lens, like a 90mm, will "flatten out" these features because you will be farther away.

When photographing people I prefer a 50mm, but most of them prefer the way they look with the 90, finding this rendering of perspective more flattering.

- David

• Like 1

A 35mm lens does not 'require' you to move in closer. That is, unless you try to do a head shot with it. I have state above that head shots are not portraits. For that matter, even a wide angle lens proper (to me, 35mm is a short standard lens) does not require a shorter distance. It requires that you consider the subject's environment.

You should not get closer than 2 – 1.5 meters (6' 6" – 5' to you troglodytes) with adults, or maybe 3 – 4 feet with a child) because this closeness does distort the face perspectivally. But similarly, a longer lens than 135mm or so will flatten a face in a way that we feel is unnatural – we are not used to being face to face with people at such long distances!

The portrait below was made with a 35mm Summilux ASPH. Try to think the surroundings away – not least the candle.

The wide-angular old man

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

yo yo dude...I am with Reds and others on this one. How does one define "portrait". It certainly is not the icon on the modern SLR selector dial and it is not necessarily the pre conceived idea in your head... cos the guy standing next to you has a different image in his.

No, clearly the notion of portrait is a concept which has neither rule or boundary. Choose lens or brush or whatever medium you feel appropriate to communicate the message. Your concept asks for boundaries to be applied.... With such constraints, mediocrity beckons like a siren.

• Like 2

If you are looking for a traditional portrait lens look at the 75mm Summarit, equal to the Summicron 75mm Apo at 1/2 price. Limiting factor is f2.5 and minimum focus is .9m. If you don't want the sharpness simply add gausian blur in photoshop for a beautiful soft look.

A 35mm lens does not 'require' you to move in closer.

True. I meant to say that a shorter lens requires that you move in closer for your subject to be the same size in the frame, in comparison to a longer lens.

I agree that no lens should be considered the right portrait lens, and every way of working has creative potential.