M9 Firmware Update Available

esophoria

I just updated my M9 with the new firmware,

I had a fairly new Sandisk Ultra 16gb Class 4 SDHC card that refused to work with the last version of the firmware. The red light would blink for a long time and it would not save the image, or the camera would crash, and require a battery out restart.

I just tried it now. It works fine with the Sandisk card now. The camera operates and saves files normally.

So far, so good.

My 32gb Class 4 SDHC Transcend card worked fine before, and is still working fine.

• Like 1

the following SD-Cards are still not recommended to

use, because some misbehaviour occurred in the test phasis.

- San Disk Extreme Pro SDHC I UHS-1 (all card sizes)

- San Disk Extreme HD Video SDHC I (all card sizes)

I'm not only confused, I must be stupid. The following two pictures show the cards I have. Do I have the wrong cards?

http://www.digoliardi.net/sandisk/extreme20mps.jpg

http://www.digoliardi.net/sandisk/extreme30mps.jpg

Or should I use this one: http://www.digoliardi.net/sandisk/standard.jpg

You see, when I got the M9 I got it from B&H NY. The 20mps card was advertised under the M9 purchase. Later they switched it to the 30mps card. I thought it was okay to go with their recommendation.

(B&H has the M9-P in stock)

Edited by pico

Has anyone downloaded the update using a MacPro computer - If so, Can you list the details on how this is done on a Mac Pro.

Thanks

You download the file - and will probably find that the zip file has automatically been expanded and there'll be a .upd file in your download directory. Copy that to the root directory of a formatted card and follow the instructions posted by Leica.

Has anyone downloaded the update using a MacPro computer - If so, Can you list the details on how this is done on a Mac Pro.

Thanks

format a new SD card in the M9 (not one of the sandisk ones mentioned), and put it into a card reader attached to the computer

download the firmware, uzip it and copy to the root of the sd card

insert the sd card in then M9 and turn on

after a few seconds it will ask you if you want to update the firmware

select yes

wait

make sure the m9 is fully charged before you do this and do not turn off or press any button during the update

at the end it will ask you to restart. which means switch the m9 off and on

Leica has posted the new firmware update, 1.174 on its site

Leica Camera AG - Downloads

I updated with no issues. Be sure to read the notes along with the download. Still one card they are not happy with, of course, it's the one I own.

If anyone actually clicks on the above link, there are instructions for installing the update AND a list of the improvements. ;)

Looks like just a memory card bug fix so i'm not even going to bother.

Thanks

Oh geez, not this again. I used a Mac to do it and it took me about 4 minutes including flashing the firmware.

Do you understand zip files? If you use Safari the file automatically unzips, probably into your "download" directory. Copy the *.upd file onto a blank SD card, don't put it into any folders, and just read what the camera display screen tells you.

This goes on every time a firmware upgrade comes out. Nothing could be simpler, this is basic computer literacy.

This has been explained ad infinitum before here. How do people use digital cameras and editing programs without knowing how to use a computer??

Edited by M. Valdemar

Anyone else use Sony SF-32NX 32GB Class 10 cards? Has update worked? I purchased these cards after sending the Sandisk back. These Sonys worked faster than any other at processing the raw image quickly onto the card. There might be less risk of a counterfeit card with Sony than Sandisk also.

Still confused as what to use. My Ultra and other cards class 6 all work fine but with slow transfer speeds. I would like at least one 16gb card that downloads fast (write time I suspect is about the same no matter what card one uses).

Looking at the Panasonic SDHC UHS-I for $80 at BH. Anybody have experience with that or can make a recommendation for other cards that will download fast?

Thanks.

Charles