A gear report

jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Really good people are using the M9 in rugged conditions. But by the sound of it I am far from convinced whether the M9 or DMR are the best tools for these conditions. I would agree weather-sealing and an ultra rugged version would be a worthwhile upgrade to the M9. I have used the M6 in snow and rainstorms, no problem, but would no be so confident with digital.

Card reliability is another matter. Definitely good to have plenty of backup. My M9 locked up recently, no idea why -- I removed the battery and reinserted it and it was fine.

I have bought about 20 32GB Extreme Sandisk cards with not one problem. Bought 15 from Adorama which I believe does not deal in bogus Sandisks. Bought the other 5 from B&H with also no problems.

Some have mentioned bogus Sandisks exist that is why I made mention of it above.

Edited by algrove

ken rockwell seems to think the 1.162 firmware is at fault. me, i think maybe that plus the newer sandisk cards...my old sandisks work fine. the old towel wrapped around a chair with clothespegs and a hairdryer trick works for excessive condensation at the end of a sweaty, wet day out. thanks for posting and looking forward to seeing some results of your hard work

ken rockwell seems to think the 1.162 firmware is at fault. me, i think maybe that plus the newer sandisk cards...my old sandisks work fine. the old towel wrapped around a chair with clothespegs and a hairdryer trick works for excessive condensation at the end of a sweaty, wet day out. thanks for posting and looking forward to seeing some results of your hard work

I have never had a problem with SD cards, in M8 or M9.

However based on all my reading its only Sandisk cards that have problems, so I have just used non-sandisk cards, even cheapie store branded ones.

I did experiment briefly with a sandisk extreme class 10 and normal sandisk class 4. The class 4 was noticeably slower in writing then the memory2go class 6 I was using.

Jaap, thanks for the very interesting update. It sounds like a fantastic trip, and I'm sure I speak for all in saying "Welcome Home".

From your report it sounds like your cameras and lenses performed very well, with perhaps some not unexpected issues from such a harsh environment.

I'm curious, at night did you attempt to "dry out" your cameras and lenses by placing them in bags with silica gel desiccant packs, or in such an environment would this be a futile gesture?

Stephen

• Like 1