Israeli Security found my X1 to be a "Security Threat"

i_like_leica

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I remember all the fun I used to have in the old days trying to get the airport security checkpoints (pre-TSA) to hand check my film. Half the time they wouldn't do it, sometimes they would. That's in the US of course. It's a different world today. As a small boy, traveling to meet my dad, I once missed him at the gate (yes people could meet you at the gate) and went to get my bag thinking I'd meet him there. He wasn't there and I went back to the gate thinking he might be there forgetting I had a pellet gun in my checked bag (no gas cartridge or pellets but still). The security guy held me there (very nicely) till my Dad arrived and they let me go with a friendly warning. Embarrassing but no strip search or trip to Guantanamo or anything. These days they're probably just shoot me in the head (you know, just to be safe). 

On 11/20/2017 at 12:48 PM, IkarusJohn said:

We flew into Ben Gurion in April (Cathay Pacific flight from HK).

I was expecting rigorous security - not so.  We breezed through in 20 minutes.  Interestingly the woman in the little booth knew more about me and my travelling companions than I thought possible.  It was quite clear to me that Israeli security and border controls knew exactly who was on that flight before it left the ground in Chek Lap Kok.  Very efficient, and I did notice that selective people got more treatment than the rest of us (I was traveling with my partner and her family - she has a son, uncle and cousins living in Israel, and her travel records were there on screen as we came through).

I would have to say, I was impressed, and felt quite safe and welcome.

El Al's security is layered, and starts well before you get to the airport. As to their making a fuss about a camera case, I recall an incident from the 1980's in which an El Al security agent at Heathrow stopped a pregnant woman from checking in for a Tel Aviv flight because her vinyl carry-on bag was sweating. Unbeknownst to her, her boyfriend has squeezed a thin layer of Semtex into the lining of the bag and attached some sort of timer/detonator to it, before dropping her off at the airport. (I don't think that relationship survived, although all the passengers did.) So they take a close look at soft goods.

• Like 2

These days it seems any law enforcement officer in the U.S. has an itchy trigger finger. I expect TSA is probably more twitchy than the security guards I encountered when I was a kid. It may be different in Isreal, but in the U.S. it seems like most of what they put us through when I was flying (which was several years ago at least) was more theater than real. Replacing airport security guards with federal officers might sound like a good idea (better training maybe?) but what actually happens is that you replace a security guard who knows he might have to answer to someone if he shoots a passenger with a federal officer who will very likely NOT have to answer to anyone. You see he was in "fear of his life" from your toothpaste tube or tripod or your water pistol or whatever. 

Then there was the time I was visiting NJ/NY a couple of years after 9/11. And found a beautiful 400mm f/6.8 Telyt to bring back home. I was thrilled it would fit in my carry-on bag, by unscrewing the head from the barrel.

Unfortunately, that meant what the Newark X-Ray officer saw in my bag was two "pipes" about 7" long x 3" diameter. ;) Had to have a little interview at the hand-inspection table.

• Haha 1

Some 7 months after I came to live in the US, my youngest son (Anthony) came to visit (image from that time, early digital Leica).. When I took him to the airport for his return to the Uk,  he was asked to go thro' a second inspection before boarding (unbeknown to me until later).. I too was asked to partake in an interview before I left the air terminal..I had my valid Green Card & Passport etc.. Having been in LE, I fully understood and appreciated the  courtesy & professionalism of all concerned.. Another time on a flight to the UK from Seattle, just prior to boarding, 5 or 6 Muslims in their robes started praying in a corner, not quite heart stopping, security together with armed officers proceeded to recheck everybody's papers, luggage and certain individuals were further questioned.. We had a safe & enjoyable flight.. I certainly breathed a sigh of relief when we disembarked..  L

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

12 hours ago, adan said:

Then there was the time I was visiting NJ/NY a couple of years after 9/11. And found a beautiful 400mm f/6.8 Telyt to bring back home. I was thrilled it would fit in my carry-on bag, by unscrewing the head from the barrel.

Unfortunately, that meant what the Newark X-Ray officer saw in my bag was two "pipes" about 7" long x 3" diameter. ;) Had to have a little interview at the hand-inspection table.

Imagine trying to get the old Leica "Gun stock" mount past security these days.

My niece and her husband both work within security at Gatwick airport - or rather did, they have both been told they're being made redundant as a result of Covid....

Anyway, when they are assigned to checking the baggage and x-rays at check in, obviously they want to be careful in what they're doing but also aware that there are 'dummy' items and travellers from time to time to ensure that the staff are alert. If something is missed it's then retraining/downgrading or in some cases disciplinary action. 

Worth bearing in mind next time you think they're being difficult with you. 

Yeah, in my case I realized it was a perfectly legitimate concern for TSA - and told the inspector so. He said "Happens every day."

Sort of like the time I had my hand (and my wife's P&S camera) in my pocket at a rope-line for Vice-President Gore - and the Secret Service guy in front of me reached out, patted the bulge, and asked "What have you got in the pocket, fella?" My real mistake was panicking, and whipping it out faster than necessary..... ;)

• 3 months later...

I have a Manfrotto combination shoulder rig and mini steadicam which I took through carry on baggage screening. The device looked suspicious to the airport staff because the weighted shoulder stock was filled with densely packed steel plates, which were removable to help balance the rig for steadicam duties. It was so annoying that I never took it away with me again. I suspect that's what happened with the OP's X1 - the X1 is quite a dense camera, and airport x-ray scanners might not be able to see through it sufficiently.

On 11/7/2011 at 7:45 AM, i_like_leica said:

This is my first post. I love my Leica X1 and took it all over Israel and Jordan this summer with fabulous results.

However I am curious as why Israeli Airport security found my X1 and the leather case to be a "Security Threat" when it was scanned at the airport. Has anyone else had this problem? During the standard Israeli interrogation before check-in at the the airport (this is before I left for Israel, with the Israeli security at check-in) they ran my X1, with a lens cap and SD card inserted and the Leica X1 Camera case (the stock Leica dark brown leather case with the form-fitted soft padded interior and neck strap) through a scanner and told me "Your camera is a security risk" then proceeded to use that as an excuse to take me in a private room and strip search me. I gave them the Leica charger and an extra battery in case they needed to do more checks or turn it on.

They spent about 30 minutes running the camera through a scanner in the room over and over again, arguing about the image on the screen (the lens cap intrigued them) and kept looking at the leather case, especially where the lens covering protrudes, the padding inside, and muttering in Hebrew.

At the end they said they had to ship my $2000 Leica in an envelope and a box, and the leather case had to be shipped in another box, which I could collect in Tel Aviv.

Upon my arrival in Ben Gurion Airport in Tel Aviv, the two packages arrived about 15 minutes after my luggage on the conveyor belt. I normally NEVER check a camera in my luggage as I have had them stolen before, so I was happy to see the box arrive. They had put everything in tightly wrapped plastic inside a box and an envelope. I noticed they had forgotten to pack the Leica charger and the Leica battery. At this point I just wanted to get out of the airport. Of course I could not find a replacement charger in Israel, at least not in a few days, and have now ordered a new battery and $100.00 charger on my return. I may send Israeli Airport Security a letter, but I doubt I'll get a refund.

I was quite surprised and delighted as the single charged battery lasted quite a while during my trip to Israel and Jordan, at least for 200+ shots, which was wonderful.

On my way out of the country I packed the leather case in my luggage and kept the camera with me in my carry on and had no extra searches beyond the regular intensive luggage scanning, opening, bomb searches, etc. So the case and camera together may have been the problem?

Has anyone had this problem, in particular with the Leica leather case? I think they may have been using this as an excuse to strip search me...I was travelling alone, although I really don't fit the standard terrorist "profile", having a UK background with a USA passport, catholic and with a Scottish last name.

Please don't let this become a thread about the necessity for heightened security checks and current political situation. I'm just curious if people have had this problem with the Leica padded leather cases when travelling. For me, this was the first time ever, and I used to travel with an M6. At most they used to ask me take my electronics and camera out of my carry on, but I have never had my camera deemed a "Risk" before.

Thanks! And the camera arrived OK. =)

What a good story and glad the camera arrived safely.

I also love my X1 it's an original and IMO a Leica Classic I keep the Leica 36mm viewfinder on mine all the time and I don't believe it spoils it's looks. Anyway I am so pleased all worked out for you in the end.

Here my experience with an airport and security, i wonder if others have had the same trouble?

Last year on Schiphol airport (Amsterdam, The Netherlands) my M10-P got a special check at the luggage checkpoint because they didn't trust that piece of metal in my hand luggage. In my case a senior security man appeared and told the person lower in rank, that it was oké because it was an old stuff camera.😳

I told it to a family member of mine who works at the airport security about my strange experience. He told me that the Leica brand is known for this because first of all the Leica body is made of Steel/brass which the X-ray scan cannot look through. And if there is one thing the don't like there, it is stuff they cannot see trough. Second he told me that the lenses of Leica are made from Glass and not plastic, this shows black as well on the X-ray scan, again a reason to unpack the stuff and controlling it by hand whether nothing strange is the matter.

Fortunately, i was able to continue my journey without any problems and with my Leica. 

• Like 1