Israeli Security found my X1 to be a "Security Threat"

i_like_leica

• 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...

sorry to hear about that

probably not a comfort for you but I prefer when security officials are more thorough as it gives me more confidence on my overall safety

I have been to Israel many times and the verbal questions and occasionaly bag openings are common.

I haven't been strip searched but I suspect that has as much to do with your answers to questions, when the security official has been on his/her last top-up course and what they have been specifically alerted to regarding the particular time

Here's a picture of Haifa to cheer you up:

5688574690_dee630c6f4_z.jpg

Exactly. By the way, the most suspicious one's are young man travelling alone.

• Like 1

I cannot imagine that El Al is not the single most threatened airline carrier in the world, hence, Israeli security must be extraordinary. And, based on the 'success' rate as to the absence of incidences, obviously Israeli security is doing its job quite capably. 

As to the X1, I suppose all electronic devices with batteries are suspicious. Security, too, needs to think out of the box to be most effective. I suspect their agents are well trained and know exactly why and what they are doing.

Those flying to Israel should take comfort that security is so intrusive. It is a wonderful country to see and photograph.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We flew into Ben Gurion in April (Cathay Pacific flight from HK).

I was expecting rigorous security - not so.  We breezed through in 20 minutes.  Interestingly the woman in the little booth knew more about me and my travelling companions than I thought possible.  It was quite clear to me that Israeli security and border controls knew exactly who was on that flight before it left the ground in Chek Lap Kok.  Very efficient, and I did notice that selective people got more treatment than the rest of us (I was traveling with my partner and her family - she has a son, uncle and cousins living in Israel, and her travel records were there on screen as we came through).

I would have to say, I was impressed, and felt quite safe and welcome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Maybe the X resembles something in WWII? 

I had a problem with my Leica tablepods. But I forgot which country in Europe. Not because of its shape when collapsed. They use sone tools to unscrew the tube bottom of the ball that connect to tripod stand, trying to inspect what was inside. 

Another experience, I Think it was Frankfurt, I forgot the take the camera out of my backpack, the officer at the X-ray monitor asked me, I answered ,oh I forgot my Leica camera, The officer smiled and said, that’s OK.

On 9/26/2017 at 8:43 AM, Shlomo said:

Exactly. By the way, the most suspicious one's are young man travelling alone.

Our then 16 year old boy, going to an archaeological dig in Israel, was held up at JFK for a long, long time. They claimed the smell of his shampoo was suspicious. We'd been telling him that for years. 😀

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...

With an Israeli passport, I have no trouble at Ben Gurion.  Frankfurt and Munich. however. are much more intrusive in their searches.

And going back to the OP, anyone with both Jordan and Egypt stamped in their passports will get extra scrutiny.  In his case, it happened outside Israel as well.  The incident was sufficiently long ago that they may have been using the chemical sniffer, which detects the scent of C4, often falsely.  I had a long argument with ElAl once in EWR before they would let me take a grimy old laptop with me on the plane because of the chemical test.  I finally passed on a second try.

On 11/9/2011 at 6:36 AM, Ecaton said:

Pictures shot with the X1 are too sharp, thus the security risk:p

If an X1 gets you strip searched, may God have mercy on the souls of those who are traveling to Israel with an S3 or M10R.  I shudder to contemplate what horrors they may be subjected to.  🙄

Edited by Herr Barnack