LFI8

asmith

I hoped to see a serious article about potential product releases (that is exactly what they promised since LFI 7/2011) and maybe some hints, without breaching NDA.

I don’t think LFI will ever feature articles of a speculative nature; either there is a product worth writing about or there isn’t and ‘potential product releases’ is stuff best left ro rumour sites. LFI 7/2011 hinted at new products, suggesting either “first assessments” or even “trials” in the next issue – the former if the new products were just announced, the latter when LFI staff could report from first-hand experience. As it turned out it was neither so the article had to be postponed; now for LFI 1/2012 they hope to have test results ready. We will see.

• 2 weeks later...

I've not only missed out on LFI 08/2011 but I didn't get the previous one, either! The last one I got was 06/2011 :(

Until then, I've been getting each one without a problem since 2008. I want to contact them to find out what's going on but, for that, I need my customer number. Since I don't keep the packaging, I don't know how to find it. Any ideas?

I've not only missed out on LFI 08/2011 but I didn't get the previous one, either! The last one I got was 06/2011 :(

Until then, I've been getting each one without a problem since 2008. I want to contact them to find out what's going on but, for that, I need my customer number. Since I don't keep the packaging, I don't know how to find it. Any ideas?

Email the details to the publisher. They should be able to help you.

Hello Jason,

Upon emailing LFI regarding my missing LFI8/11 it turns out that the credit card they were using to renew my account had expired back in June /11.I was only notified of this upon chasing up my missing copy ,which i received today.

This might be worth checking as some credit cards have short expiry dates.

Cheers

Matthew.

Thanks Matthew. My card is fine for another couple of years so that's not the issue. I sent them an email yesterday but no response yet...

Perhaps it's something like the automatic annual renewal not happening for some reason - we'll see. Next time I do get one I'll be sure to note down my customer number somewhere - I still don't know what it is.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
Michael, I accept your point and I also enjoy your lucid and thorough articles published in LFI. However, going beyond the subject of this thread, yet picking up the expressed criticisms about content, I wonder whether you have an influential voice within the editor's office?

I have written to the office in the past about the balance of editorial content, yet never received acknowledgement nor reply. I know editorial staff are busy, but so are many readers. Briefly, my feelings are that far too many photographic portfolios dwell on poverty and conflict, deserving of space as some are; but very few on the successful uplifting and happier events in the world. Secondly, very few narratives develop the photographic aspects of the work shown. Several writers often omit the basic mention of camera models and lenses used. They come across as generalist journalists rather than photographer journalists.

I accept such a combination of photographic and writer's skills place demands on busy professionals' time, but features such as those produced by Brett in the past, for example, possessed an excellent balance of information pictures and subject interest, yet served Leica's interests by showing what new lenses were capable of doing. (Goodwood and Weddings come to mind)

I really do not feel that commissioning such well informed features from those with appropriate skills should be beyond editorial capabilities. If you share any of my views, please try and have them considered when editorial planning and scheduling meetings take place. Thank you.

I would have sent this request to you by PM but thought that it would be better to test opinion in the forum first; either in this or a dedicated thread.

David, renewed thanks, I enjoyed shooting and writing those articles from a photographer's point of view. Best wishes

• Like 1

Brett, good to have your continued support. Since writing my quoted piece, MJH gave me a contact. The result is that I received a very prompt reply from LFI editorial office saying that they were redesigning the journal. At the same time, they thanked me for my suggestions and would take them into consideration with future planning. I found that a heartening response and look forward to issues in 2012.

I will be disappointed if we do not see a resurrection of the Field Practice features which I always found instructive, entertaining and useful.They combined many of the desirable aspects I mentioned.

Good Luck to you Brett and I hope we will read more about your exploits in 2012!

At the same time I would like to thank Michael Hussman (MJH) for his erudite and beautifully written features which have appeared in LFI for several years.