LFI8

asmith

To be fair they didn’t promise; they merely said they hoped to have something fit to print in time for this issue. But neither is Leica run by LFI nor can LFI do anything to speed up product development, so sometimes new products will be late. There’s nothing anyone could do about that.

Look at the end of LFI 7/2011 and 8/2011.

LFI is repeating itself to write about new possible products (rumors or even confirmed products and maybe tests!!!:)). Not even one article about possible announcements in the latest LFI.

Look at the end of LFI 7/2011 and 8/2011.

That’s what I was referring to. An article had to be postponed. It has happened before and it will happen again. What do you want LFI to do when Leica says they need a couple more weeks? You can only write about new products when they are ready.

That’s what I was referring to. An article had to be postponed. It has happened before and it will happen again. What do you want LFI to do when Leica says they need a couple more weeks? You can only write about new products when they are ready.

Michael, I accept your point and I also enjoy your lucid and thorough articles published in LFI. However, going beyond the subject of this thread, yet picking up the expressed criticisms about content, I wonder whether you have an influential voice within the editor's office?

I have written to the office in the past about the balance of editorial content, yet never received acknowledgement nor reply. I know editorial staff are busy, but so are many readers. Briefly, my feelings are that far too many photographic portfolios dwell on poverty and conflict, deserving of space as some are; but very few on the successful uplifting and happier events in the world. Secondly, very few narratives develop the photographic aspects of the work shown. Several writers often omit the basic mention of camera models and lenses used. They come across as generalist journalists rather than photographer journalists.

I accept such a combination of photographic and writer's skills place demands on busy professionals' time, but features such as those produced by Brett in the past, for example, possessed an excellent balance of information pictures and subject interest, yet served Leica's interests by showing what new lenses were capable of doing. (Goodwood and Weddings come to mind)

I really do not feel that commissioning such well informed features from those with appropriate skills should be beyond editorial capabilities. If you share any of my views, please try and have them considered when editorial planning and scheduling meetings take place. Thank you.

I would have sent this request to you by PM but thought that it would be better to test opinion in the forum first; either in this or a dedicated thread.

• Like 3

A response from LFI,that I could do with a hand understanding ,it reads;

Inhalt der Mail:

Firma :

Vorname : Matthew

Nachname : Steel

Email :

Phone :

Betreff: LFI 08/2011 not received

Nachricht:

Hello,I have not received my copy of LFI 08/2011 .Members of the Leica Forum who live in the UK have received their copies and said I should drop you an email.This is the first time that I have not received a copy,Please let me know if you need any more information from me,

Many Thanks

Matthew.

Looks like it is more a Royal Mail problem than anything else.

Agree on content. It's a bit boring and not very creative or innovative. Michael's article is interesting though. Would love to see more articles regarding practical use/tips and experience by professional photographers (not just the results or motivation).

I'd like to see:

1. pictures from wider sources then gritty disadvantaged folk, although worthy in themself. The NY after 9/11 was ok, but what about positive themes - landscapes, street photography in different cities, professional's write articles !!! I don't know, something positive and beautiful and not always gritty.

2. I would like to see a bit more about gear. Perhaps cases, accessories, lens comparisons

3. Lastly technique by pros wold be good. Particularly off-beat stuff

...then, I would rather read the official Leica press release ;)

However, going beyond the subject of this thread, yet picking up the expressed criticisms about content, I wonder whether you have an influential voice within the editor's office?

Hi David, sorry to disappoint you but I don’t really have a say in this (but I can relay your complaint to those who have). I certainly see your point, even when I believe the war/famine/natural disaster kind of portfolio’s aren’t quite as prevalent as one might think.

• Like 3

That’s what you will have to do then – LFI will never breach an NDA.

Michael, LFI did not say they will strictly cover already effected anouncements. The german word they used was "Einschätzungen", ergo "estimations". I did not expect an anouncement by Leica that soon either (Photokina 2012?!?) ...

I hoped to see a serious article about potential product releases (that is exactly what they promised since LFI 7/2011) and maybe some hints, without breaching NDA. Got my point now?

Hi David, sorry to disappoint you but I don’t really have a say in this (but I can relay your complaint to those who have). I certainly see your point, even when I believe the war/famine/natural disaster kind of portfolio’s aren’t quite as prevalent as one might think.

Thank you Michael. Just a change of emphasis; complaints don't usually get very far and I certainly wasn't complaining. I was merely making suggestions about improvements to content which I and, I believe others, would welcome.