Yellow line fixed -- what is pixel/column restoration?

wparsonsgisnet

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My M9 went in for repair because of a yellow line up the center of the image.

It's back, and beautiful, but what is a pixel/column restoration. I anticipated that the sensor would have to be replaced.

I'm curious about the process....

Regards,

Bill, I'm not sure about what Leica does with Kodak sensors, but with other products I've been associated with when we received sensors from the manufacturer they would be accompanied with a certificate showing dead pixels, dead clusters, dead columns and dead rows. We had a spec for how many were acceptable, but it would be cost prohibitive to only accept perfect sensors. The engineers wrote algorithms to replace the dead pixels with a value, based on the surrounding pixels, which was then displayed and recorded. It sounds horrible but actually works pretty well, especially if the resolution is high enough.

Stephen

• Like 1

The same is true on high end and professional video cameras. When they develop a bad pixel it is mapped out either automatically or by a visit the service center. The same is true for hard drives. All hard drives have bad sectors and can develop more as they age. The firmware on the drive maps out the bad sectors automatically, you only get a drive failure notification when the amount of bad sectors becomes excessive.

The same is true on high end and professional video cameras. When they develop a bad pixel it is mapped out either automatically or by a visit the service center. The same is true for hard drives. All hard drives have bad sectors and can develop more as they age. The firmware on the drive maps out the bad sectors automatically, you only get a drive failure notification when the amount of bad sectors becomes excessive.

Hard drives are incomparabe to sensors, since the geographical location on the disk has no relation to the information. Data can be stored on any place that is available.

Data in a sensor is related to its postion. If a pixel is dead, the information cannot be stored somewhere else. To make things even more complex for a CCD, if a pixel is dead, all information in the column above this pixel gets lost because the information of all pixels in the same column is shifted pixel by pixel to the output row.

The dead pixel breaks this chain of information transfer.

By interpolation, all missing pixels can be restored, at the cost of losing some resolution locally.

Hans

• Like 2