Where are those Leica-M Forum members?

atournas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Some years ago, I used to be member of a Leica-M forum. There were relatively few members, of which the active ones were just a couple of a hundred.

Some of those members stood out for a number of reasons and I recall them to be sort of a driving force for the rest of us.For instance, I remember a surgeon who used to take his Leica into the operation room and then upload vibrant black-and-whites that conveyed the tension, or the calmness, during the operation; and I remember a biologist at a university, a nice person with whom I shared the same aesthetic beliefs.

Then, all of a sudden, the server that supported the forum ceased to exist. Where did those other members go? I am sure a lot of them subscribed into this forum and I wonder if we could acknowledge our presence and just say 'hello" to each other, like a classmates' reunion.

Paul

Do you mean this lot?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Many big characters have gone. They are missed. It was more intimate in those days.

Regards,

Bill

• Like 1

It wasn't just a Leica M forum, it was this forum when it was owned and operated by Leica themselves. It was a forum for ALL Leica users, not just M ones.

This forum has grown hugely over the years and, as Bill has suggested, has lost something along the way. However, it has gained a lot of new members, with new experiences etc.

I am in that collection above and there are still some familiar faces on there who still contribute regularly.There are at least two people who are on that image twice :)

Well I do see myself in that collection of pictures and it was a nice surprise. Yes it was more intimate back in those days and I spent more time on the forum. Today it's not quite the same and time is also lacking on my side. Shame though, there were some good days... :)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I joined while it was still Leica, accessed from their website, but don't remember a picture gallery

I'm not sure if it was possible to upload photographs when the old forum originally opened. I do remember Leica suggesting people upload their best 2 or 3 photos at some stage. Maybe that was when the forum originally opened. Can't remember.

I do think the forum was more intimate in those days, but things change and it's a much bigger place now.

I was not an owner back then, but it sounds like it was very family like.

Today, often one cannot ask a question as a Leica beginner or offer opinion without being called more or less "stupid". Just because someone is not "experienced" in Leica matters does not mean that their fervor is less than longer and/or more and varied experienced members.

I have been involved in serious photography since 1966 and just because I am a new Leica owner does not mean I have nothing to offer. I am just new to digital and thus it is almost like starting over, but without the smell of chemicals.

I would participate in more discussion threads if the type of activity mentioned above was just NOT tolerated instead of tolerated to a point.

I have learned so, so much reading many, many threads it makes me want to give back when and where I have something to offer or where thread comments raise a question in my mind.

Edited by algrove
clarify
  • Like 2

...one cannot ask a question as a Leica beginner or offer opinion without being called more or less "stupid"...

Are you sure you don't exaggerate a little bit? Aside from yours truly there are not more than two or three grumpy old men on the LUF :D

I'm still here but a few notable names have disappeared. Times take their toll.

There were some important threads which could be post-referenced for some time. Not sure if they are still accessible. I have lost my bookmarks to the site.

algrove,

I'd encourage you to ask anyway. If you have been shooting since 1966 you have lots to offer in return, and this place is more bark than bite. There were Leica forums in the past that were the other way around (links to current versions: here and here). I have been seriously over-occupied by cameras and photography since about 1971, but only bought my first Leica in 2004. Join in and keep things alive!

Chris

When I joined the "old" Forum in October 2002, I guess I asked several rather simplistic questions (being relatively new to photography as well as completely new to Leica photography). But I found everyone very helpful and supportive, and I don't think I ever got patronised or put down. Maybe I was just lucky. I hope that, as a result, I've come on a bit since then, so I would encourage people in the same position as I was, to jump in and ask their questions. I would hope that there are enough supportive people around to put down any "put downers".

(I'm the last one at the bottom of that portrait collage! )

I'm not sure if it was possible to upload photographs when the old forum originally opened. I do remember Leica suggesting people upload their best 2 or 3 photos at some stage. Maybe that was when the forum originally opened. Can't remember.

I do think the forum was more intimate in those days, but things change and it's a much bigger place now.

It was possible to upload photos. 150kb max.

I'm not a lurker but also not no. III of my species, a pity to hear actually, why get so tied up with something so unimportant. Anyway, hope all is well with this forum member (all forum members actually).

EDIT: Mmm. Andy's comment has magically evaporated in the mean time.
Edited by SJP

Looking at the last link reminded me. What happened to William G. Lamb III? He was a widely travelled and informative contributor to the old forum.

He was criticised too much for his taste and chose to leave, a real shame. I met him at one of our London meets and what a pleasure it was.

• Like 1