Advertisement (gone after registration)

Bought this camera with all my savings when I was eighteen but got sidetracked with university and never used it much since. I always kept it with me though wherever I was (I lived/worked/studied in 4 different countries in the past couple years). It's only now that I realized what a treasure I had, left hardly used. I took it out for a couple times on weekends and had a lot of fun shooting. What I noticed is that people don't feel intimidated, even when I am fairly close - see pics:

What I'd like to find out more about though is how to exploit this feature of the Leica M to the fullest. How to approach people without them reacting to the camera at all? I think this is the single most important feature of a Leica so if you guys would like to share some thoughts, they'd be much appreciated!

It's all about you. I know it's cliche, but if you are nervous your subject will sense it. Confidence will only come with experience, I'm still working on it. Others may suggest shooting from the hip, but that's limiting and often a waste of film...ultimately it's about picking your spots and learning from those you shoot and from yourself

What I'd like to find out more about though is how to exploit this feature of the Leica M to the fullest. How to approach people without them reacting to the camera at all? I think this is the single most important feature of a Leica so if you guys would like to share some thoughts, they'd be much appreciated!

One "technical" way to do it is to use a wide angle lens (I use 28 or 35mm) and include the subject on the side, so the camera is pointing away. They don't realise they are in the frame. You've got to watch out for distortion though. I've found it works and I'm a wimp