Advice Please: Zeiss Biogon C 35mm f2.8 best lens code

Jon Pop

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I just purchased a Zeiss 35mm Biogon C f2.8 lens, heard lots of great things about it and it was a good price. What I'm wondering is the preferred setting for the lens profile - I know I could 'play around and experiment' myself, but if someone out there who is an avid M9 user (I'm new to the M9, usually using my MP) has come up with the best lens profile to pick from the M9 menu, I'd love to know. I don't want to pixel peep for hours looking around.

I have the latest firmware. I notice that the Summarit 35 f2.5 isn't in the lens profile (it has the closest minimum aperture so I'd thought about using that one). I've heard some say 'use the 35mm f2 summicron pre-asph', but wanted to ask the question anyway. I want to get the best performance from this lovely lens on my M9; don't want to blame vignetting or anything like that on the lens when I've simply not picked the best profile. Nor am I interested in performing lots of post-production corrections.

I appreciate everyone's advice!

Cheers,

Jon

6-bit lens codes to try with the Zeiss C-Biogon 35 mm 1:2.8 ZM include these (0 = white patch/no patch; 1 = black patch):

• 6 (000110) – Summicron-M 35 mm 1:2
  • 25 (011001) – Elmarit-M 24 mm 1:2.8 Asph
  • 30 (011110) – Summicron-M 35 mm 1:2 Asph
  • 43 (101011) – Summarit-M 35 mm 1:2.5

I don't know which of these will be the best. The first I'd try are 43 and then 6. If the Biogon has a lot of vignetting then it may be worth trying the 24 mm Elmarit's code even though the focal length doesn't match. Codes for 28 mm or 50 mm lenses won't work at all.

That's the one I used (011100) with my Zeiss C-Biogon 35/2.8 ZM and it worked very well.

If the 6-bit code you're using works well with your 35 mm lens then it cannot be 011100.

Edited by 01af

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks - I thought 011100 was the 28 f2.8 asph code? Did you use that b/c of the 2.8 aperture, or the 35 f2 non-aspheric?

Cheers,

Jon

Sorry, I grabbed the wrong lens!!! Doh!!!! The code I've been using is 000110

I do agree with paulmac that coding is much less critical at 35mm than wider focal lengths.

The resolution of this lens is outstanding and although I still hanker after the current Summicron ASPH (at three times the price) comparison shots from two examples I have previously owned are in an inferior class. Maybe I was unlucky with the samples, as others note 'exceptional sharpness' for the 35 Summicron. Ergonomically the Zeiss is not as good as the Summicron but optically it is on a par with my 50 Summilux ASPH – and that's saying something!

I code as 35 Summicron pre-ASPH but not coded at all I can't say I see real differences: of course in Lightroom it will show as [–] and you may prefer it to show as, at least, 35mm.:)

• Like 1

• 9 years later...
13 minutes ago, Mahesh said:

This is a very old post but I am excited after getting this little biogon. What seems to work on M10p for me, is possibly 28 summaron's profile.

If it works for you that’s great!