Replacement codable flanges for M lenses

250swb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After reading this thread

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/customer-forum/204297-6-bit-flanges-ebay.html

I ordered a set of three codable flanges from the Ebay seller. They arrived from China fairly quickly. Initial inspection shows they are hardly discernable from the original flange. As my 50mm Summicron is the slickest focusing lens I have I thought that would be the best to try first.

All you need are a good set of screwdrivers to take the rear flange off and put the new one on. The first try and I felt the flange was slightly out of alignment with the holes in the lens. When tightened up fully the focusing ring stiffened/locked up considerably. So off came the new flange. Measuring things and it all looked spot on except the screw holes are very slightly smaller than those in the original Leica flange. So I used a 1.6m drill to enlarge them, it really only takes a tiny amount off. It allows the flange to centre itself properly, particularly if you tighten the screws gradually and in opposite order (like bolting down a cylinder head on a car). But this sorted things out completely, when re-installed the new codable mount now allowed the super slick focusing, and having tested it the focus is spot on (as it was before).

So this is a massive success. $35 for three flanges 50-75, 28-90, 35-135, all codable for your favourite lens. All you need are a set of screwdrivers and a 1.6mm drill (although I can't say if the fractionally small mounting holes are a characteristic of all the flanges). From the back of the lens I don't think anybody would know its not an original Leica flange in functional terms.

Steve

P.S. Just done my 90mm Elmarit as well, same results, very good.

Underlining to aknowledge lct's observation.

Edited by 250swb
more info
  • Like 6

Thanks for sharing. Just received my sets from China. Flanges are easily distinguishable from the genuine ones at first glance. Will try a couple of them during the weekend if i find some time. I won't have to drill any holes hopefully.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Bought a couple of 28/90, 35/135 and 50/75 6-bit flanges from the Chinese seller "jinfinance" on e**y.

Two attemps and two failures so far.

6-bit flange for 35/135 mm lenses.

This flange is not made for the Summicron-M 35/2 v4.

The six screw holes are not at the same place.

Not the seller's fault who shows clearly the screws positions.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

6-bit flange for 50/75 mm lenses.

This one is not made for the Summilux-M 50/1.4 asph either.

The screw holes are at the right place, no mounting or unmounting problem at all but the original flange has a recessed ring onto which the lens barrel rotates when focusing.

The 6-bit flange having not that ring, the focusing process is blocked when screwing the former onto the lens.

Seller's fault who should warn about this. No harm done though, suffice it to mount the original flange again.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I just ordered a set of flanges from the seller and he advised me of the differences between the two types and asked me to check which ones I needed. And in fact I do need one of what he is calling Type II (the earlier ones) and he is in the process of making those. So far I've gotten more and better communication from him than I have from many US sellers. I'm looking forward to receiving the parts. The eBay link has been updated to show both possible screw positions.

Bruce

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

6-bit flange for 50/75 mm lenses (cont'd).

Does not work with the Summicron 50/2 v4 (# 11542) either.

But one copy of the flanges for 50/75 does work with the Summilux 50/1.4 v2 (# 11868). The other copy of same causes stiff focusing to the latter.

Finally, "jinfinance" 6-bit flanges for 28/90, 35/135 and 50/75 are *not* compatible with the following lenses:

Summilux 35/1.4 # 11870

Summicron 35/2.0 # 11310

Summaron 35/2.8 # 11106

Summicron 40/2.0 # 11542

Summilux 50/1.4 asph # 11891

Summicron 50/2.0 # 11819

Elmar 50/2.8 # 11612

Summicron 90/2.0 # 11135

Elmarit 90/2.8 # 11129

Tele-Elmarit "Thin" 90/2.8 # 11800

Elmar 90/4.0 # 11631

Elmarit 135/2.8 # 11829

Elmar 135/4.0 # 11850

• Like 2

But one copy of the flanges for 50/75 does work with the Summilux 50/1.4 v2 (# 11868). The other copy of same causes stiff focusing to the latter.

See my note about drilling out the holes of the flange a fraction which solved stiff focusing one of my lenses.

Steve

Just for whats it's worth, I put the 35/135 one on my 35mm f 2.0 asph. Haven't had the chance to put the coding black paint into the proper holes yet, but so far focus, frame lines, etc. seem to work OK on my M8.

I'll update after paint-coding the flange.

Glenn

Thanks for the heads up lct on those Chinese made

lens mounts found on e++y from jFinance. I had

purchased a few and hadn't had any luck with them

either. At least they were inexpensive. Another cheap

lesson.

In fact one of those flanges works fine with my 50/1.4 pre-asph and it is enough to save me some money already. :)

Those flanges look well made to be honest and i would not be surprised if they worked with later lenses than those listed in my post # 11 above.

Mine are already coded but 21/2.8 asph, 28/2, 35/2 asph & latest 50/2.8 look compatible at first glance. I did not remove their flanges so i'm not 100% sure though.

See my note about drilling out the holes of the flange a fraction which solved stiff focusing one of my lenses...

My two 50/75s are properly drilled but one causes stiff focusing on the 50/1.4 pre-asph for whatever reason. Perhaps some lack of flatness of the flange's surface, i don't know.

Update; the flange for my 35mm f 2.0 Asph. works fine. After paint coding, the lens is recognized propery and focus seems to be the same as before.

As noted in the post above, a sharpie would most likely work, but since

I don't think I'll be changing the coding on this lens, I went ahead and

used paint.

As always, YMMV.

Glenn

• Like 1

I got my 28mm elmarit v4 done today and it works fine with sharpie. I also have 35mm f2.0 asph to be done soon. Hope mine works fine like yours. What kind of paint do you use for coding? Do you code only the black or also the white too?

Viboon

Update; the flange for my 35mm f 2.0 Asph. works fine. After paint coding, the lens is recognized propery and focus seems to be the same as before.

As noted in the post above, a sharpie would most likely work, but since

I don't think I'll be changing the coding on this lens, I went ahead and

used paint.

As always, YMMV.

Glenn