Sign in to follow this  
kolya

Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 VM Nokton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I am new in this forum, just got a M6 with 28,35 and 50 framelines.I was thinking to get a Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 VM Nokton as my first lens, as i think it would cover all my needs so far, but i am worry about the framelines, as there are not 40mm.Does anybody knows if this lens could work with the M6?could i uses the 35 frameline as a guide?.Also i would apreciate if anybody who has used this lens ,could give me some feed back about it.Thank you very much in advance

Check the Cameraquest site for Voigtlander lenses. There is a lot of information on all of the lenses in the Voigtlander line for M and LTM cameras. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your M6!

1) Beautiful lens that gives great results.

2) It brings up the 50mm frame which is how I shot with it.

3) There are countless threads on how to file down a certain flange in order to bring up the 35 frame if thats what you choose.

4) Enjoy, you will not be disappointed!

1) Beautiful lens that gives great results.

2) It brings up the 50mm frame which is how I shot with it.

3) There are countless threads on how to file down a certain flange in order to bring up the 35 frame if thats what you choose.

4) Enjoy, you will not be disappointed!

That.

+1 and then some!

It reminds me of the pre-Asph 35mm Summilux in many of its characteristic's, slightly soft and glowing wide open and sharp stopped down and I like it. I filed the lug down to bring up the 35mm framelines on my cameras and that works very well, the 'real' frame being just inside the 35mm frameline and so easier to judge than the 50mm frameline that is much smaller than the real view.

It may make purchasing a Leica 35mm or 50mm lens more difficult in future though, being so close to both it may not get much use.

Steve

If you use the 35 framelines on the M6 they will probably be more accurate for the 40mm than for 35, but its not that critical

Gerry

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had the 40mm for some time. It's a nice, compact fast prime and a good "travel" lens. I don't hold with modifying mounts to bring up different framelines, however. I was quite happy to shoot it with the 50mm frame in the certain knowledge that it was capturing a bit more of the scene. This is particularly handy in street photography where a fast-moving situation can at times be hard to frame accurately.

Regards,

Bill

I just bought a 40 Summicron. I'm thinking of replacing my Voigtlander 35 1.4 with it. I'll stick with the 50 framelines for a while and see how I like working with them. I don't mind cropping. But on the M9, the 35 framelines are extremely close to what you get with a 40.

There's also the issue of which framelines you prefer. I don't know the M6, but on the M9 I like the 50 framelines better than 35. Everything is readily visible without having to look around the viewfinder.

John

Thank you very much to everyone! for yours fast reply.I think i would go for it and then, after a few rolls i could see how its works.Glad to know that it can be done.

Thanks again

I filed my Nokton 40mm it was very easy to do. The 35mm frame lines works very well. Almost 100% finder. Enjoy it's a stellar combo. I have an M6 as well.

I had the 40mm for some time. It's a nice, compact fast prime and a good "travel" lens. I don't hold with modifying mounts to bring up different framelines, however. I was quite happy to shoot it with the 50mm frame in the certain knowledge that it was capturing a bit more of the scene. This is particularly handy in street photography where a fast-moving situation can at times be hard to frame accurately.

Regards,

Bill

Me experience/opinion exactly.

I was out shooting with it today, such a good little lens.

Edited by Ronan

Both the Voigtlander 40 and the Summicron C 40 are excellent lenses....

Small and perfect for travel and good for all situations.

Enjoyed them both A LOT on my M8 and M9.

I shoot with both the Voigtländer and Leica 40mm versions all the time on my MP and M2 - in fact I have sold off my 35mm and 50mm lenses as I rarely used them.

I also have the Voigtländer 40mm viewfinder which works a treat. However, the 50mm frame lines will give you room to see what is coming in to the field of view.

Both of my Noktons are the single coated versions as I only shoot B&W film. It is a beautiful lens with low contrast.

..i got it eventually, Single coated one, as i do mainly b/w and it seems to have a very personal look that i think i will like.I have shot already the first roll, just had a wee look to the negatives as they are still drying..i think they have come out very well! i will print some negatives next day off.

First impression is very positive, i like it! i am using the 50mm frame line so far, i will have to get use to it, but i think it will be fine, or may be i will get a 40mm viewfinder in the future.

As i said before , i got the single coated version, i have read somewhere that using filters with the SC can affect somehow the quality when using with this lens. i normaly use filters for b/w (yellow most of the time) and also UV.Did anybody have any problem using filters with this lens?

Also my camera gives the same reading of the light when using filters and doesnt have any way to compesate this reading, when using them.Is there any way to use filters in RF cameras without any compensation dial on it?(mine is a m6,probably one of the oldest models) or should i keep in mind all the time ,to give it an extra stop when using for example a yellow filter.

thank you very much in advance

Javier

Both the Voigtlander 40 and the Summicron C 40 are excellent lenses....

...and don't forget the M-Rokkor 40mm f2.0. It essentially is identical to the Summicron-C 40. I use mine on the "Leitz-Minolta CL" I purchased it with, as well as my Ms, M9 included.

Guy

Is use the SC as night lens, when my 28mm Elmarit is too slow and the 50mm Nokton a little bit to long.

I have one that lives on my CL and have gotten several very nice rolls out of it. I also have a spare CL with the Rokkor 40/2 on it. I still haven't had a chance to test the 40/2 but the built in collapsible rubber hood is nifty and the size is wonderful.