Vuescan users, please help

dennersten

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a Dimage Scan Elite 5400 III, and have used Silverfast with some success past few years. But that died when i upgraded to OSX Lion the other week.

So i bought the only software which still seems to exist for my old scanner. Now after the third roll of film i dare to say i am sure about this.

All scans are overexposed by one step.

It's really weird. I tried three different cameras with the same result. So it's not the camera. It's not the meter. So it's Vuescan or the scanner.

I have tried without any luck to fins any settings in Vuescan.

Please help

Typical sample is attached.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

1) Preview with no individual frames selected

2) Select as much of the interframe film base as you can with as little of the frames either side as you can. Select "Lock Exposure" then preview again

3) Now select "Lock Film Base Colour" and preview again (not sure if this extra preview is required)

4) Now select "Lock Image Colour" (I not sure if you need to do this)

If you now select and "Scan" the frame you want you'll find the histogram shows black and white triangles for each of the RGB channels, and these can be adjusted to avoid clipping.

"Save" the file then convert to greyscale in Photoshop and apply levels to taste. Soem go to the trouble of just working on which of the green or blue channels look sharpest or give the nicest greyscale (I think).

Pete

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Why don't you ask the Viewscan guy, he personally answers all questions - and that very quickly. The solution to the problem I had with Viewscan and Lion was solved by a one liner from him.

Perharps I should call him about my personal problems and hopefully he could solve them with one liners :D jokes aside, Ed Hamrick is know for great support with his software.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=65.613510,-37.637162