.58 VF and 50mm frame lines

jbl

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How usable are the 50mm frame lines on the 0.58 viewfinder? My main focal lengths are 28, 35 and 50 and the 0.58 magnification has piqued my interest if only to make the 28mm lines more usable. The longest lens I ever use is a 90mm and that's not that frequent.

Thanks!

-jbl

I sold my M7 because even as a glasses wearer I couldn't get on with the .58 viewfinder. Sure the 28mm frameline was magnificent, but all the others were so tiny it made me feel disconnected from the scene in front of me, like I was standing a mile away from the action. Personally I would rather scan around the edges of the 28mm frame (or using years of experience make an educated guess) using a .72 finder than compromise the other framelines so much with a .58.

Steve

I had an M6 TTL/0.58x with a 28 and 50 mm for a while, and I had no problems with the 50 mm frame. Bu then my prescription is +6 so my glasses in fact worked as a magnifier of sorts, so for me the 0.58x was excellent.

The 0,58 VF (M7) is perfect for me because I am using mainly the 28mm and 50mm . I also have a 75mm and this is still possible. My C.V. 15mm -M has an external V.F. of course.

So if you go for W.A. the 0,58 VF is very good.

Greetz,

Robert

I sold my M7 because even as a glasses wearer I couldn't get on with the .58 viewfinder. Sure the 28mm frameline was magnificent, but all the others were so tiny it made me feel disconnected from the scene in front of me, like I was standing a mile away from the action. Personally I would rather scan around the edges of the 28mm frame (or using years of experience make an educated guess) using a .72 finder than compromise the other framelines so much with a .58.

Steve

Steve's reply illustrates just how subjective this is. Both my M bodies (M7 and M6TTL) are 0.58s. I bought them both because I'm a life-long spectacles wearer and I have never been anything but pleased with the choice. A 50mm offers arguably a bit too much surrounding space, in fact, and people used to the .72 or especially the .85 would in all likelihood say the view is too small.

My personal view is that where the .58 really shines for specs wearers is with the 35mm -- being able to see all four framelines and compose quickly and comfortably with the 35 is marvellous.

As regards 28, I still can't see all four framelines even with the .58 finder and as a consequence rarely use the 28 I do have...

Thanks, everyone.

If I use a 1.25x magnifier is it basically indistinguishable from a 0.72? With the exception of the eyepiece sticking out and the missing 135mm frame line, of course.

I have a 0.72 MP and an M3, but I find myself most comfortable at 35mm. 28mm, when I want to go wider, 50mm when I want to go longer.

While the 90mm lines are small on the .72, I don't find them impossible to work with. The thing that irritates me most about the 90mm frame on the 0.72 is the lack of corners in the frame lines. The M3 has that and IMO it's the best thing about its viewfinder :-). I assume the 50mm frames on the 0.58 are bigger than the 90mm frames on the 0.72?

Thanks again,

-jbl

I use the m7 0.58 vf with my 50mm lens with no problem. I tried the 1.25 magnifier (which I use for the 75 mm lens) with the 50 and it works but I prefer to use this lens without magnifier. I wear spectatcles and my preferred focal lens is 35.

robert

I love to use a 50 with a 0.58. Something to do with seeing a whole frame with extra ease.

Agreed. Strangely I prefer the 50mm on the 0.58 M7 than on the 0.85. And having the bare 35 framelines is v nice. I rarely shoot film beyond 50mm so I will sell the 0.85.

Interested to read your various views

I just bought (or rather part traded for a Mamiya 7 and lenses I have never used since getting the Mamiya 6) my first, used but pretty mint Leica MP. I have longed for one for ages.

I bought the 0.58, in part as it looked great, worked and was what they had in the shop I did the trade. It might not have been my first choice because I was worried about focussing accuracy. On the other hand my two other best Leica M film bodies are am M3 (which is of course .91) and an M7 0.82, and as I use a 28mm and 35mm lens a lot I wanted a film body I could do this with - although I expect I shall still wish to use the 50 on it.

I don't wear glasses, and I think I have pretty good eye sight - but I'm still nervous about focussing accuracy so I bought a thumbs up 1.25 magnifier straight away which I will use when using a 50mm. I guess I won't really know until I analyse the negatives, but how do people feel about focussing accuracy, wither with a 50mm and a magnifier, or a 35mm lens without?

Thanks, I'm still very happy to have got the MP :)

I don't wear glasses, and I think I have pretty good eye sight - but I'm still nervous about focussing accuracy so I bought a thumbs up 1.25 magnifier straight away which I will use when using a 50mm

The 0.58x VF has an effective measuring base of 40.2mm and is plenty accurate for a 50mm lens - including the Noctilux. 50mm is really not that demanding. Where the lower VF magnification limitation will come into play is at the longer focal lengths like 90mm and 135mm. The latter, even at F4, is theoretically beyond the focussing accuracy of the 0.58x.

Thanks Andy and Watsy

That is re-assuring to know

I certainly don't plan putting anything llonger than the 50 on the MP, and mainly plan to use it for 25(Biogon), 28 (Summicron), 35 (Nokton f1.2 and Biogon f2) and 40 (Summicron), using either the M3 or M7 to have a 50 permanently stuck on it, but if I only ever take out 1 film byd, I would like to be able to use it with a 50.