Messages from a bygone era

biglouis

This is a really interesting idea and a fine project to preserve these painted advertising panels before people like me take them all down!

The French used to go in for them in a big way, especially in rural areas. Would be a great "holiday" project... drive through rural France taking photographs of fading "Buvez Chocky" adverts!

:)

Can you take this from a bit further back, to get more of the front elevation of Sidmouth Street? It's often good to see these in true context.

I don't know Sidmouth Street, but there could be a good juxstaposition between the Georgian frontage of this building, the advert and some more modern architecture next door, although it looks like another Georgian frontage to the right too, in this case.

Do you have Photoshop CS2? If so, it might be an idea to tweak the perspective slighty in this shot.

Louis,

very well seen and executed.

The layers of writing are really nice and the high contrast suits the subject rather well. I would agree with Andy that it could look even better if you corrected the lean-back in Photoshop.

Thanks for the comments. In fact I did process this through photoshop but as it is relatively new to me I could not quite adjust the lean back.

In fact, to detail the processing steps:

1. Open the RAW file in Camera Raw

2. Thought I'd corrected the lean as far as I could but there again I still don't quite understand how to do this, so I need to experiment more

3. Vignetted the original because I quite like the darkening at the edges (matter of taste)

4. Saved image as TIFF

5. Opened TIFF image and ran 'auto adjust' plus some sharpening. Then discovered the 'equalise' option gave it a nice sharp contrasty effect

6. Added a touch of warm filter (was I playing too much at this point?)

7. Saved it twice, once as a 1280x960 jpeg and once for the forum.

On my shelf next to my computer is "Camera Raw with Adobe CS2" which is my next book to read after I've finished "Freakonomics".

Thanks again for the feedback, it really helps to expand my understanding

LouisB