Why the NEX-7 makes M8 a tough call

BJDrew

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There are a few areas where an NEX7 cannot best the Leica. But the most significant one I discovered this last weekend when I chose to take my Panasonic GF1 with the EVF instead of my M8. That is in the area of multiple frame shooting. The EVF freezes on the first image and the you don't know what the remaining images are until you review the shots on the LCD screen after they have buffered. The results were not satisfying. My friend who has a Sony A55 which also has an EVF has the same problem. It is a great viewfinder and the best EVF on the market, but it does have limitations. My wife has the A33 and loves it after using heavier Nikon DSLR's.

Last summer in Iceland, I took a series of great sequential frames of sea birds with the M8 and didn't miss a shot. EVF's have come a long way and even I am looking seriously at the NEX7 or the NEX5 with the clip on EVF. But, I'll still keep the M8 for those shots that the Sony will never get.

The Nex-7 EVF is a different world from the ones you mention!

The EVF freezes on the first image and the you don't know what the remaining images are until you review the shots on the LCD screen after they have buffered.

I think that most cameras let you turn off the auto-review setting so that the EVF can continue working as a viewfinder. This keeps the camera from changing between shooting and replay modes on each shot. Frame to frame shooting is much faster that way even on a Nex 7.

• 1 month later...

Legendary tale:

Churchill to his political nemesis Lady Astor at a reception: "Madam, you are ugly."

Lady Astor: "Sir, you are drunk."

Churchill: "True madam, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.."

Not all cameras can look like a Leica.:)

• Like 2

I have a friend who owns an M8 and something like 15 M lenses. He bought an early Nex 5, then a Nex 7 (both with M adapters), and hasn't touched his M8 since. Just one person's experience, for what it's worth. Personally, I'll stick with my M8 because I have no desire to hold a camera out at arm's length to do focus peaking or anything else. Give me a viewfinder or give me death.

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 1

Those Sonys have (Nex-7) or can have (Nex-5N) a viewfinder so there is no need to use them at arm's length if you don't like that. Now none of them are rangefinders so perhaps you prefer the latters and your friend don't. M users do generally.

Legendary tale:

Churchill to his political nemesis Lady Astor at a reception: "Madam, you are ugly."

Lady Astor: "Sir, you are drunk."

Churchill: "True madam, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.."

Lady Astor: "Winston, if I were your wife I'd put poison in your coffee."

Winston: "Nancy, if I were your husband I'd drink it."

Jeff

• Like 2

Lady Astor: "Winston, if I were your wife I'd put poison in your coffee."

Winston: "Nancy, if I were your husband I'd drink it."

Jeff

Hilarious-Hilarious-Hilarious!!!

I quite literally finished watching the premiere of Downton Abbey five minutes ago and these Churchill quotes are cracking me up! :)

Keep em coming... please.

RW

My Churchillian quote was meant to be a ripost to the comments about the NEX 7 being ugly. I didn't intend that the thread go off into Churchill-land, although that might be more worthwhile than commenting about a camera's aesthetics as opposed to functionality and performance.

Churchiill attending a particularly bad play in London before WWII:

Actor on stage, hamming it up very badly: "West wind, west wind, west wind..."

Winston from the darkened audience: "Ma-jong!"

Churchill commenting on his successor to the office of Prime Minister, Clement Attlee.

"Mr. Attlee is a very modest man. Indeed, he has much to be modest about."

Now let's get back to cameras.

Edited by jevidon

Those Sonys have (Nex-7) or can have (Nex-5N) a viewfinder so there is no need to use them at arm's length if you don't like that. Now none of them are rangefinders so perhaps you prefer the latters and your friend don't. M users do generally.

But it was my impression you have to use the lcd to do focus peaking. Is that not correct?