Help! M9 Auto ISO setting doesn't work

Griffin2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Help please!

I just acquired my long-wanted M9, it's mint, it's almost new! everything works beautifully, except the Auto-ISO.

I put the setting exactly the same way as on my M8, however no matter what I try, the ISO is locked at 160, even the shutter speed goes down to 1/2 or slower.

Here is what I tried so far:

M9 + Summilux 50mm 1.4 ASPH, 6 bit coded.

reset to default setting

max shutter speed: Lens depended; 1/30s, 1/60s, 1/125s (tried a lot)

Max ISO: 600, 800, 1600, 2500

however, even the shutter goes as low as 1/2 or even 2s, the ISO didn't boost up, still at 160.

also, using the iso button on the back only views the ISO is 160, can't be changed either.

Can someone please help?

thanks!!!!

• 7 years later...
On 9/30/2011 at 4:41 AM, Griffin2 said:

I figured it out! for some reason, the ISO setting was locked at 160. Regarding what I set @ Max ISO, it won't change.

now change the ISO setting to Auto, everything works fine :)

Hi, I don't know how to change to iso auto settings? Tks

Btw, are you shooting raw or jpg?  If raw, then auto iso isn’t advisable as the M9 sensor is ISO invariant. This means that the difference in ISOs is a result of increased gain from the sensor generated by either the camera’s firmware or in post by Lightroom or another raw converter. IMHO, between the two Lightroom does a much better job of increasing the gain, ie, ISO. Given that you can do this in Lightroom after the fact and fine tune the increase in gain/ISO to your taste, why use auto ISO? 

Of course, if shooting jpg this argument is beside the point. 

8 hours ago, AceVentura1986 said:

Btw, are you shooting raw or jpg?  If raw, then auto iso isn’t advisable as the M9 sensor is ISO invariant. This means that the difference in ISOs is a result of increased gain from the sensor generated by either the camera’s firmware or in post by Lightroom or another raw converter. IMHO, between the two Lightroom does a much better job of increasing the gain, ie, ISO. Given that you can do this in Lightroom after the fact and fine tune the increase in gain/ISO to your taste, why use auto ISO? 

Of course, if shooting jpg this argument is beside the point. 

I use my M-E with DNG and Auto shutter, Auto ISO.

I guess, if it is kind of personal choice with high ISO limit of M9 sensor and deep trust in LR, it could done via maximum ISO settings menu. 

:)

Native ISO 2500 from M-E.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

1 hour ago, Ko.Fe. said:

I use my M-E with DNG and Auto shutter, Auto ISO.

I guess, if it is kind of personal choice with high ISO limit of M9 sensor and deep trust in LR, it could done via maximum ISO settings menu. 

:)

Yeah, as with everything in photography it all comes down to a personal choice. If it works for you keep doing it.  Still, you might want to try pushing the ISO in Lightroom once or twice. It might surprise you.