Front Cap/Hood Cover for Leica 35mm 1.4 (V1) Lux - Options

edcentric

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Greetings all -

My father is loaning me his V1 35mm 1.4. It is currently sent out for CLA. It has a metal hood, but no hood cover or lens cap. Does anyone know the options covering the lens? Ken Rockwell's site calls the hood part # 14078 for a cap. I've seen a few sold on ebay, but there's none currently for sale. Is there an alternative?

I saw a picture of one 14078 and it looked round, but my lens hood is squared off.

Pic:

photostream

Ed

Welcome to the Forum !!! If your Summilux non-asph has a round metal hood (to say, not the old rare OLLUX in the pic you linked) it ought to be the vented 12504, which is divisible into 2 parts to accept a series VII filter inside - an easy way to protect the lens (with a ND or UV filter).

Afaik there is not a cap for this hood... when removed, on the Summilux 35 you can mount the 14268 plastic cap, which is common and easy to find (also "compatible" for cheap... just seen one on ebay for US$ 18)

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

Welcome to the Forum !!! If your Summilux non-asph has a round metal hood (to say, not the old rare OLLUX in the pic you linked) it ought to be the vented 12504, which is divisible into 2 parts to accept a series VII filter inside - an easy way to protect the lens (with a ND or UV filter).

Afaik there is not a cap for this hood... when removed, on the Summilux 35 you can mount the 14268 plastic cap, which is common and easy to find (also "compatible" for cheap... just seen one on ebay for US$ 18)

All correct. It's a great hood. Allow me to add that at a Chinese-made copy of the 12504 is available. Having destroyed three originals so far since the Seventies I jumped on the opportunity. It was defective in one regard so that it fell off easily. The problem was that one of the retracible retaining tabs does not extend all the way out because its slot is too short. A Dremel with a tiny cutting wheel fixed the problem. I have no 12504 spare, the last one was destroyed in my little bike accident. :(

On that big auction site see items 120694071743 and 180724802012.

I believe they are the Chinese counterfeit that I wrote of above.

I do not believe the picture of the first one is what you get. That's original.

The second is the one I got. Dunno if they've fixed the tab yet.

The originals go for up to $300, and on that site is a less expensive one: 370401352688, an original that damaged and way over-priced. That seller typically asks twice what his items go for elsewhere.

Edited by pico

I have used the same 12504 hood on several lenses - the pre-asph Lux 35 and both the asph and pre-asph Summicron 35s. A 58mm generic cap fits snuggly over the 12504.

It is a great hood either with or without a Series 7 filter and does a great job of protecting the lens barrel by taking most of the beating.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...My father is loaning me his V1 35mm 1.4... It has a metal hood, but no hood cover or lens cap. Does anyone know the options covering the lens?...my lens hood is squared off...

I guess your hood is the OLLUX # 12522 right? If so it has no hood cap AFAIK. Otherwise you can use a lens cap # 14078 or 14143 if you want a Leica's but i'm not sure for the 14143.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Greetings all -

My father is loaning me his V1 35mm 1.4. It is currently sent out for CLA. It has a metal hood, but no hood cover or lens cap. Does anyone know the options covering the lens? Ken Rockwell's site calls the hood part # 14078 for a cap. I've seen a few sold on ebay, but there's none currently for sale. Is there an alternative?

I saw a picture of one 14078 and it looked round, but my lens hood is squared off.

Pic: lux | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

photostream

Ed

...Ed, I use the 35/1.4 pre-ash Summilux lens + 12504 hood.

The optics demand quite a bit of respect, so I do not use a filter. The hood is always in place, and I use one of those "Nikon-style" pinch snap-on lens covers. The correct diameter for such a pinch snap-on lens cover for the 35/1.4 pre-asph Summilux + 12504 is 52mm. Go to your local photo store and buy a Nikon (LC-52) or a no-brand version.

It works perfectly - have used it that way for the last 17 years. 100% recommended. Enjoy.