HELP Summicron 50mm will not mount on M8!

steinzeug

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

just bought a new Summicron 50 mm (latest version, built in hood) however when i try and mount it on my M8.2 it will not "click" when i mount it. It is as if the locking groove on the lens is too thin for the springed "lock" on the M8.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Its as if there was 0,2 mm too thin, I thought Leica stuff was "exact".

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Could it be the thickness of the cameras spring loaded clasp?

Hi,

just bought a new Summicron 50 mm (latest version, built in hood) however when i try and mount it on my M8.2 it will not "click" when i mount it. It is as if the locking groove on the lens is too thin for the springed "lock" on the M8.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

I have this problem on my M8.2. It looks like the company may have had a batch of springed locking catches that were a bit too wide.

My experience has been that if the locking catch does not spring into place, the lens will not produce sharp imagery. I can't understand why this is - the bayonet lugs are engaged, so the lens is snugly on the mount, and whether or not the catch engages has no effect on the lens' rotational position, so the rangefinder cam should be operating correctly.

Last year I bought a 90mm f2.8 Elmarit, and the dealer had several in stock. Two would not latch properly, and produced poor imagery; the third did and produced fine images.

Earlier, I'd found that a newly-purchased 35mm Summilux did not 'click' into place on the camera, and the image quality was dire. But when I tried it again at the weekend, the latch engaged correctly (albeit without an audible click), and the images were first-class. I can only suppose that a slightly over-sized catch has worn down slightly in use.

I thought Leica stuff was "exact".

An old Leica employee who dated back to the Leitz era once told me that "They don't make them with the precision that they used to". Many Leica enthusiasts will disagree with that statement, however.

Best regards,

Doug

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When I bought my M9-P last weekend, I took all my lenses to the shop and made sure that they all mounted on the camera. The 35mm Summilux ASPH that gave problems with the M8.2 mounted properly on the new camera, so it seems – as others have suggested – that the problem is with the latch of the M8.2. Either a batch of over-wide latches slipped through quality control, or the specification for latch width is not tight enough.

Best regards,

Doug

Sorry to hear about your problem.

The lens groove on your photo looks a bit narrow - hard to tell from the image.

But it is not the lens we are talking about, is it?

The one you show seems to be an Apo Summicron-M 75mm.

I checked my lenses and they all have a 3mm groove.

If your other lenses fit well, it must be this lens that is faulty.

At any rate, I would take it back and request one that fits your M8.2.

Edited by george +

• 8 years later...

Hello. I’m resuscitating an old thread for a similar help needed.

I just purchased a Elmarit M 28 2.8 and it doesn’t mount properly on both M6 and M8.2. The lens does flush contact and mount correctly expect for the very last bit. It doesn’t make it till the end to “click”. 
I wonder if it’s a fixable problem.

attached a picture that shows the missed last bit.

any advice please?

46 minutes ago, ricco75 said:

Hello. I’m resuscitating an old thread for a similar help needed.

I just purchased a Elmarit M 28 2.8 and it doesn’t mount properly on both M6 and M8.2. The lens does flush contact and mount correctly expect for the very last bit. It doesn’t make it till the end to “click”. 
I wonder if it’s a fixable problem.

attached a picture that shows the missed last bit.

any advice please?

Please see my response to your other post here.

Pete.