buy wider lens or sell m8 and get m9?

tbracher

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all,

One of my first times writing here so looking for your advice and opinions.

I own an M8. Very good condition, only the scroll wheel is a bit 'jumpy'... never worked properly but not that big of a deal. But other than that, nearly perfect condition.

I own the 28mm 2.8 (a bit flat for my taste) and the Lux 50mm (LOVE the lens).

However the 50 is a bit too 'long' on the M8 considering the crop factor and so feel for a walk around lens I would prefer to move into a 35mm. (I will be renting the Cron 35mm asph next week to live with it and to get the feel for it first)

My dilemma is, I would really love to get a 35mm 1.4 Lux but almost makes more sense at that point to buy the M9 and just use my 50mm 1.4 lux don't you think? Get the FF and the higher res as well as all around better images?

Hard to decide if I should get the 35mm for the M8 and then down the road assuming one day I do move into an M9 I find suddenly the 35mm too wide? (though guess I can sell it then if I feel i won't use it any longer)

So basically, how does one come to the decision of upgrading to the M9 for the FF vs, buying a wider lens for he non FF M8?

Also to note, I am not a pro photog, I just live with the Leica in my hands and want to make the best decision I can.

All ideas and thoughts welcome.

A 35, 50, and 90mm are all you could ask for in a full frame. I quite like 35mm and have two of them. The Summarit and the Super Triplet Perar. Also have two 50s with the Summilux getting most use.

I really don't think you can go wrong with either choice, but recommend getting a 35mm. I find it a great focal length for street or landscape and even have done some portraits with it. The bigger question is which one to get! The Summicron should serve you well but also try the Zeiss Biogon-C. It's slower at f/2.8, but the cost is a lot lower and the quality of the image very nice. The Summarit is nice, a bit technical in it's rendering, but small, light and a real gem. The Super Triplet is my favorite though. It's slower still at 3.5, but I love the way it renders. And it's the most compact lens I've ever seen!

When you do upgrade to full format, the 35 and 50 might be all you need. I can't imagine you'd want to sell either!

You've raised many issues...FOV preferences, dissatisfaction with the rendering of your 28 Elmarit, and M8 vs M9 pros and cons, to name a few. The first issue is personal, so only you can say. The latter two issues have been covered extensively in other threads (the search box will bring them up), but I'll mention a few of my own considerations.

First, a question. Do you like the 28 FOV using your M8? It is of course the closest approximation to 35 on FF. Or, is it the rendering of your Elmarit ("a bit flat") that dissatisfies. The Elmarit is generally regarded as a contrasty lens. If you want to try a 35 on your M8, you might consider the Summarit. It's a wonderful little lens, a bit faster than your Elmarit, and won't break the bank. Many on the forum rave about it, and E. Puts rates it above the Summicron in many respects. Unless you really need the speed of a Summilux, I wouldn't fret.

Lens choices are quite personal. For me, the 28 Summicron asph and the 50 Summilux asph are an ideal pairing on the M8.2. I personally opted to keep the M8.2 (and buy a second one), rather than move to the M9, in part because I like these two lenses better than my 35/75 Summicron asphs that I would use for similar FOVs on an M9.

For me, though, it's all about the print. And I don't see any significant difference in prints up to 16x20 between the 2 cameras (a friend has an M9 for my comparison). There are many more important factors in the whole digital workflow than these camera differences IMO.

So, it comes down to other preferences. Beyond the lens considerations, I prefer the 2m frame lines on the M8.2, and the sapphire screen and top display are nice to have. Unlike others, the UV/IR filters and crop factors don't bother me in the least. In fact, there are some benefits to less in-camera filtration and not having to deal with edge issues. I also don't need to shoot wider, or print bigger, than I do now.

YMMV.

Jeff

• Like 1

If you're looking for a "35mm" on the M8 - check out the Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/25 ZM. It's roughly 33mm on the M8 with the crop. Pretty much my favorite lens on the M8 - perfect FoV (for me) and the quality of the images are literally breathtaking.

As for "real" 35mm lenses, I love the Zeiss Biogon T* 2/35mm ZM. When the light drops, I grab the Voigtländer 35mm f/1.2 Nokton and when I need the ultimate portability, the 35mm f/2.5 Color Skopar Classic. All great lenses and all work great on the M8.

No reason to go with an M9 unless you want real wide angles...

• Like 1

Thank you guys for the advice! Sounds as though you are all leaning towards a 35MM rather than moving into the M9 (from the M8) and using my already owned 50mm Summilux.

I have read tons on 'which 35MM' and my problem is I am spoiled by the bokeh of the 50MM lux. Just simply beautiful and in my 28MM 2.8 (Emarit ASPH) I find the lack of DOF and buttery bokeh that I am so happy with in my 50MM. The 28 for me feels neither here nor there for me. A bit too wide for intimate images, and when landscape or wide shots, just feels a bit flat and hard.

Having said all that.. (I have yet tried a 35MM on my M8, will do next week) I THINK the 35MM is my ideal walk around lens. I am leaning towards the Summicron ASPH (35MM) as I believe in paying more for what you want than always feeling that I've undercut myself and will never be truly happy with my purchase, will always wonder and assume I 'cheaped' out. Hard to say that when 'cheaping' out can still mean a few thousand dollars! BUT, I would love the 35mm Summilux but fear the form is too large and also again at that price, I'd rather move up the camera to M9 and then just use my 50 Lux.

So this puts be back to the Cron 35MM ASPH, which is on the top end of my budget. So sounds like INVEST into lenses and don't worry about bodies. Over time this will happen when the time is right. Can only assume the M9 will reduce at some point or with luck catch a second hand one etc.... and at that point, I would be happy I have 2 lenses to choose from!

Sounds about right to you guys?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, I still think you ought to consider the 35 Summarit, as reviewed here. I have the 35 Summicron asph, and it's a fine lens, but if I were in the market for a 35, I would seriously consider this lens, which Puts and others on the forum prefer to the Summicron. Don't be fooled into thinking this is an inferior lens in any way.

The only way to know for sure is to experiment. If you don't have a dealer near you, then you can rent both lenses here.

I hope you do your own printing; otherwise don't bother comparing.

Jeff

In both cases you will miss a small tele for portrait but your 50 will help you more on M8 (equiv 67) than M9 for this purpose. I would go for a 35 and save for the M10 but it's just me. Which 35? If you "see" in 50mm you won't use your 35 much with a FF camera so i would hesitate between Summarit and Summicron asph 35. I own both, like both but use the Summicron most of the times because i miss f/2 with the Summarit. Matter of tastes of course.

Thank you guys for the advice! Sounds as though you are all leaning towards a 35MM rather than moving into the M9 (from the M8) and using my already owned 50mm Summilux.

I have read tons on 'which 35MM' and my problem is I am spoiled by the bokeh of the 50MM lux. Just simply beautiful and in my 28MM 2.8 (Emarit ASPH) I find the lack of DOF and buttery bokeh that I am so happy with in my 50MM. The 28 for me feels neither here nor there for me. A bit too wide for intimate images, and when landscape or wide shots, just feels a bit flat and hard.

Having said all that.. (I have yet tried a 35MM on my M8, will do next week) I THINK the 35MM is my ideal walk around lens. I am leaning towards the Summicron ASPH (35MM) as I believe in paying more for what you want than always feeling that I've undercut myself and will never be truly happy with my purchase, will always wonder and assume I 'cheaped' out. Hard to say that when 'cheaping' out can still mean a few thousand dollars! BUT, I would love the 35mm Summilux but fear the form is too large and also again at that price, I'd rather move up the camera to M9 and then just use my 50 Lux.

So this puts be back to the Cron 35MM ASPH, which is on the top end of my budget. So sounds like INVEST into lenses and don't worry about bodies. Over time this will happen when the time is right. Can only assume the M9 will reduce at some point or with luck catch a second hand one etc.... and at that point, I would be happy I have 2 lenses to choose from!

My most favorite lens on M8 was Summilux 35mm ASPH non FLE. I used Summicron 35mm several month and I did not like it. It is difficult to explain but I did not like Elmarit 28mm with same feelings. I felt too contemporary lens with high contrast. I did not like rendering, too.

I like Summicron 50mm and I used it with Summilux 35mm. I really like Summilux 50mm ASPH which my friend has. 50mm on M8 is too tight but good for closed shot like portraits.

I bought M9 and I still like Summilux 35mm but it become a little too wide. My favorite lens is now 50mm Summicron on M9 and want to replace it to Summilux 50 mm ASPH.

So if you like 35mm on M8 and like image by Summilux, I think you will be happy with M9 and Summilux 50mm more than M8 with Summicron 35mm.

SATOKI

Our situation is fairly similar. Like you, I have an M8, Elmarit 28 asph (which I agree is pretty flat, as well as clinical), and a Lux 50 asph (which, while a fine lens, gets little use because, like you, I don't like its focal length on the 1.33 crop). I also, though, have a Rollei Planar 80mm, which I like quite a bit.

What drives me crazy is that my most expensive lens by far (the Lux 50) gets so little use. And, while I really like the focal view of a 28mm lens on the M8, I don't like the Elmarit's rendering or lack of speed. (On FF, I think a 35 will definitely be my most used lens, much like my 28 on 1.33x.)

I have been pondering the move to FF and what lenses I'd like when I get there. In a perfect world, it'd be a Lux 35 asph v1, my Lux 50, and an Elmarit 90. But I think I can more than survive (ha) with a Lux 35 asph v1 and my current 80mm. I was initially thinking of making the upgrade to M9 in January/February, but I now plan to wait until the fall for the release of the M10.

With that plan, I'll likely sell my Lux 50, which some consider a mortal sin, then pick up a Lux 35 asph v1 (which has focus shift, but IMO a better rendering than the new v2). Finally, next fall, I'll get the M10 and sell my M8 and Elmarit 28.

I'm not sure if this helps, but it seems that we have some similar experiences, similar perceptions, similar concerns, and similar decisions to make in months to come.

• 1 month later...

Well Thomv, Since you are so critical, maybe you can correctly capitalize UNIX. Duh!

Why is it so difficult to use the proper product name? Lux sounds to me like a sunglasses brand and cron is a Unix thing I believe.

It's 35mm and not 35MM. (MegaMiles??) Capitalization rules aren't easy, I know.

Sell your M8, buy an M9, keep all your Leica lenses.

Who knows when an M10 will be available? Even if announced at the next Photokina it could easily be 2013 before you could find one. Also the features/cost of an M10 might not be what you are looking for.

From your initial post I believe the M9 will do everything you want, especially with your excellent lenses.

Stephen