The NEX 7 Leica lens thread

eleskin

Guest malland

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Naw, I think the nex 5 leaves the GXR in a pretty shaky state thanks to hands down superior MF, not needing annoying profiles for wide angles, a much superior EVF and better value. Ricohs menus are something only a fanboy would brag about and the Sony matches it there thanks to excellent customization too, despite that always being used as a cheap shot but the anti sony brigade. Honestly even when reviewers try to say this or that about the IQ being better on the GXR m-mount, it comes off as just a bone being thrown and not anything based outside of opinion because they never post samples that actually show it. But we all have one and mine is just that too, kinda why I would only settle for the real deal.
You do mean the NEX-5 and not the NEX-5N, don't you? That's would be strange because the NEX-5 has major corner problems in term of color casts and softness with wide-angle M-lenses. As far as I've been able to find, the jury is still out on the NEX-5N, but Steve Huff's is categoric and convincing that the NEX-7 having corner problems with wide-angle M-lenses, which he shows that the GXR-M does not. Although it's a matter of taste, from what I can see in Huff's examples, I like the color rendition of the GXR-M better than that of the NEX-7. Actually, the color accuracy of the GXR-M is better than that of either the M8 or the M9. Frankly, the GXR-M together with the RPP raw processor is currently, in my view, unbeatable:

You Can Stop Missing Kodachrome Now

I was very interested in the NEX-7 because it looks like, and may be, a great camera — but not for wide-angle M-lenses, which is what I am interested in.

—Mitch/Chiang Mai

Ricoh GXR M-Module

Edited by malland

Naw, I think the nex 5 leaves the GXR in a pretty shaky state thanks to hands down superior MF, not needing annoying profiles for wide angles, a much superior EVF and better value. Ricohs menus are something only a fanboy would brag about and the Sony matches it there thanks to excellent customization too, despite that always being used as a cheap shot but the anti sony brigade. Honestly even when reviewers try to say this or that about the IQ being better on the GXR m-mount, it comes off as just a bone being thrown and not anything based outside of opinion because they never post samples that actually show it. But we all have one and mine is just that too, kinda why I would only settle for the real deal.

I have the GXR M and the old NEX5 with adapter. So as far as handling is concerned, I do have an opinion based on personal experience. True, the peaking is implemented better with the Sony. But knowing Ricoh, it's only a question of time until they issue a FW update catching up on the peaking solution. Obviously the old NEX5 has no EVF. Besides that, the user interface, ergonomics and haptices of the GXR is in a different league. Now as far as IQ goes, there is no contest, the NEX5 does not deliver. How the NEX7 stacks up we start to see in comparisons. It's obviously not the expected compact large sensor solution for m-lens shooters. The NEX5N seems to do better, but there are direct comparisons on the web with the GXR indicating that the GXR files are sharper, with better micro contrast and superior edge and corner sharpness and thanks to lack of AA filter showing the character of lenses better. And lastly WB accuracy and JPEGS with the GXR are very goodI I'm very satisfied with the file quality produced by the GXR and my other m-mount cameras are M9 and MP.

I hope to see a comparison between NEX5N, NEX7 and GXR on Sean Reid's web page soon, although I won't be in the market for any of the NEX(T).

Now what are your bold conclusions based on? Which of the the two cameras and m-lenses do you actually own or have spent quality time with, again?

... But knowing Ricoh, it's only a question of time until they issue a FW update catching up on the peaking solution....I hope to see a comparison between NEX5N, NEX7 and GXR on Sean Reid's web page soon...

Also with the removable EVF design, Ricoh can easily upgrade to a higher quality EVF once they pay for the VF-2 model through sales volume. (mine is #108214-did they start at zero or 100,000 or 108,000?) Many will buy the VF-2 model since it is the best they currently offer.

I also await Sean Reid's comparison, but all too often his articles take way too long to appear, even though they are very complete (sometimes they are much too complete for me at first read). Often I wish he would release shortened articles first, like he did with his shortened GXRM article for Luminous Landscape, and then later release an expanded article to follow.

Edited by algrove
add-on