The NEX 7 Leica lens thread

eleskin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Steve huff (stevehuffphotos.com) received a NEX 7 directly from Sony for review if anyone is interested. There is a nice video of him holding the camera and taking the lenses off. It looks like a nice camera, more solid than the cheaper NEX cameras, and most importantly, better hand holding ability to mount lenses such as the Noctilux! I really hope this camera is good. Steve Huff tested the camera at high ISO and it seems fine. This is great news, especially for those of us who own a digital M and want cheaper back up cameras. I would hesitate to call the Sony NEX 7 a backup though. It has some unique capabilities that the M8 and M9 cannot offer (much better high ISO, Video, etc) and could serve as a primary camera in many situations. My take on it is if I want the rangefinder experience, I will use my digital M. However, If I want something else, like better high ISO in low light, the ability to focus the Noctilux and other lenses in a different way, not wanting to put up with focus shift issues on some lenses, the ability to use video, and wanting a 100% accurate view vs. the rangefinder frame lines, the NEX 7 is very hard to beat for the price ($1,199 USD) and is in fact cheaper than a used M8.

The premium Zeiss primes for this camera look very promising, and Steve Huff is likely to test his M mount lenses soon so we can get really excited!

There is a real good reason I use a NEX on this rig instead of my M-9.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks K-H. I am a bit more lucky than other Thai because my business is container yard. So I can put my stuff in containers and stack them high, including my classic cars.

Sorry to hear about that.

I hope you are fine and recover soon.

Good luck, K-H.

Thanks K-H. I am a bit more lucky than other Thai because my business is container yard. So I can put my stuff in containers and stack them high, including my classic cars.

That sounds great.

Do you have a (Leica) picture what that looks like?

Best, K-H.

I quite worry and had not taken any picture. Was busy building the sand bags wall and searching for the self engine power pumps to prepare, just in case, for black out. But you can view the flood from internet or news channel.

That sounds great.

Do you have a (Leica) picture what that looks like?

Best, K-H.

Guest malland
He did not test wide Ms with the camera.
Not just for this reason, bur the review is breathless and worthless. I would liked to have seen a meaningful comparison to the Ricog GXR-M. On the other hand, Reixhmann's review on Luminous Landscape of the NEX-5n doesn't have a real comparison to the GXR-M either.

—Mitch/Bangkok

Ricoh GXR M-Module

Not just for this reason, bur the review is breathless and worthless. I would liked to have seen a meaningful comparison to the Ricog GXR-M. On the other hand, Reixhmann's review on Luminous Landscape of the NEX-5n doesn't have a real comparison to the GXR-M either.

—Mitch/Bangkok

Ricoh GXR M-Module

Waiting for Sean Reid's comparison of the two. I for myseff got a GXR-M, also thanks to your many helpful posts and contributions and must say I'm extremely pleased with it. 12 MP is plenty for my use and high iso (i.e. above 1600) definitely "good enough". Otherwise, I can't really see how the NEX could better the file quality produced by the GXR M-mount. As far as user interface, build quality, ergonomics and haptics are concerned, I'm a Ricoh fan anyway.

Guest Holy Moly

I don't understand why people become so thrilled by a camera-system which has nothing in mind to meet the Leica standard except the small distance between backlens and sensor.......

Holy Moly,

I cry foul! :)

If indeed there is a “standard” here it’s the universally praised Leitz glass.

As far as the body goes: what is the “standard” and what are these endless

complaints doing here?

I like my M-9 as much as anyone but there are different tools for different jobs

and other companies can make real good stuff.

• Like 2

Holy Moly,

I cry foul! :)

If indeed there is a “standard” here it’s the universally praised Leitz glass.

As far as the body goes: what is the “standard” and what are these endless

complaints doing here?

I like my M-9 as much as anyone but there are different tools for different jobs

and other companies can make real good stuff.

Well said!

I don't understand why people become so thrilled by a camera-system which has nothing in mind to meet the Leica standard except the small distance between backlens and sensor.......

Leica has said that they will come with a new camera with electronic viewfinder and an image sensor of APS-C size or larger. That's all we have been told so far.

We also know that it is Sony that has produced the sensor, which the Leica X 1 camera uses.

It is also more than hinted that Leica is not going to introduce a third type of lens mount beyond what they have today.

If we consider all this, it is natural to imagine a Leica camera body not very far from what we have in Sony's NEX series with the M-mount.

I think therefore "Rip" Washington's experimentation with Sony NEX and various lenses with M-mount, is quite relevant.

But one way for Leica to stem the enormous interest it has gradually become for Sony's new camera models could at least be to present a sketch of the new Leica model.

If they at all are to have any chance to come out with this model about a year from now, they must at this point at least have decided how the camera shall look like.

For me the purchase of a Leica M-9 was an old man’s trip down memory lane and

do it digitally. The Leica has always been a camera one had to get used it as they

sure had their own ideas how to do things. The big plus has always been the great glass.

But to believe the M-9 is the ultimate and only Leitz glass picture taking machine is

just sorta cultist…. and the future offers nothing but better and better picture quality.

Many companies will be offering very interesting options one can afford!!!!