The NEX 7 Leica lens thread

eleskin

I'm beginning to have second thoughts about the NEX.

With the pictures posted for the Nex7 with the Zeiss 1.8; I'm not that impressed. The 16mp Nex C3/5n output such clean clean crisp images, and even accounting for jpeg and the lenses, the Nex7 is not looking so good with the full res examples.

The smudging and artifacts are the signs that 24mp is asking to much out the sensor. At best it looks just like the A77 images which suffer the same problems; so not much use blaming pre-production.

I'm just hoping the photographers were idiots, or ISO100 is just rotten and somehow the sensor prefers ISO200. Would be a big blow to the NEX line to have it caught up in the muddy sensor megapixel backlash that often hits the point and click market.

I own an nex3 and use it, a lot, so I know its not just me being spoiled by using a full frame camera. Also I still stand by my belief base off of raw examples that the NEX c3/5n kick Ricohs module into the dirt, and the NEX peaking function does so similarly to Ricoh's pseudo peaking, If you think Ricohs is as good you've not used Sony's peaking. Ah, my dad loves his GXR and its still a good camera, just the NEX fill the niche so much better for less money.

I fully agree that the sample images floating around are not exactly 'mastershots' :) More point 'n shoot-like.

At the moment I don't believe anyone can draw definitive conclusions from these in-camera jpgs. Sony doesn't have a very good track record wrt jpg compression...

I'll refrain from drawing conclusions until ACR and C1 support the ARW's and come up with a decent camera profile. Personally, I'm optimistic about the outcome.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Allthough I know its difficult to say anything about comparing Jpegs and pictures of different sizes, the Ricoh GXR M-mount with a summicron and a minolta lens looks sharper and more clean than the NEX's

Allthough I know its difficult to say anything about comparing Jpegs and pictures of different sizes, the Ricoh GXR M-mount with a summicron and a minolta lens looks sharper and more clean than the NEX's

The real fly in Ricohs ointment are the NEX C3/5N. Corner to corner sharp with very little color cast with ultrawides, and for around $600 easily. Still not happy with the NEX 7, I know Sony is among the worse with JPEG, but I doubt ARW results will be a revelation.

I don't really know how one can be unhappy with the NEX-7, considering that it won't even be available until November. And how well the NEX C5 and 5N deal with wide-angle M-lens is still hard to determine in the light of what has been available of the web. All this is much to breathless for my taste...

—Mitch/Manila

Paris au rythme de Basquiat

Your post somehow gave me the impression you had seen a side by side comparison somewhere.

No, sorry

Here is some more about the NEX-7 and Leica, and a promise to try the Ricoh with the Leica's

Sony NEX-7 First Impressions

Do forget about wide Leica-lenses on the NEX-7 it seems. Look awfull. Go the Ricoh GXR-M-module-way...

Thorkil

Edited by ThorkilB
  • Like 1

Ugh !!! The test with Summilux 24 on Nex7 is really a sort of dead end for the usability of WA on the Nex cameras.... :o Not a question of preproduction - 1st firmware release or so... the microlenses array clearly isn't made to manage lightrays over a certain angle : probably, 35mm is the limit (see the NexC3 examples posted by Gunnar-echorec in another section) ... ; my idea of Nex as a fine "digital back" for long Leitz focals is maybe still valid... but with a 1,5x crop factor I fear one must simply say goodbye to WA with M lenses...

Edited by luigi bertolotti

I'm beginning to have second thoughts about the NEX.

With the pictures posted for the Nex7 with the Zeiss 1.8; I'm not that impressed. The 16mp Nex C3/5n output such clean clean crisp images, and even accounting for jpeg and the lenses, the Nex7 is not looking so good with the full res examples.

The smudging and artifacts are the signs that 24mp is asking to much out the sensor. At best it looks just like the A77 images which suffer the same problems; so not much use blaming pre-production.

I'm just hoping the photographers were idiots, or ISO100 is just rotten and somehow the sensor prefers ISO200. Would be a big blow to the NEX line to have it caught up in the muddy sensor megapixel backlash that often hits the point and click market.

I own an nex3 and use it, a lot, so I know its not just me being spoiled by using a full frame camera. Also I still stand by my belief base off of raw examples that the NEX c3/5n kick Ricohs module into the dirt, and the NEX peaking function does so similarly to Ricoh's pseudo peaking, If you think Ricohs is as good you've not used Sony's peaking. Ah, my dad loves his GXR and its still a good camera, just the NEX fill the niche so much better for less money.

What pictures posted with NEX-7??. is it out already?

... the microlenses array clearly isn't made to manage lightrays over a certain angle : probably, 35mm is the limit (see the NexC3 examples posted by Gunnar-echorec in another section) ... ; my idea of Nex as a fine "digital back" for long Leitz focals is maybe still valid... but with a 1,5x crop factor I fear one must simply say goodbye to WA with M lenses...

Yes that's what i suspected as well. Now the R-D1 works fine with good 28mm lenses so perhaps it is the same with the Sony.

Guest Holy Moly
Yes that's what i suspected as well. Now the R-D1 works fine with good 28mm lenses so perhaps it is the same with the Sony.

when I remember well the RD-1 has the old Nikon D70 CCD with 6.1 MP. The densitiy of photosites is much smaller compare to the new CMOS with 16 or 24 MP. More is here less...

it's the same with m4/3 and wide lenses - corners are march mellows.....:rolleyes:

No, sorry

Here is some more about the NEX-7 and Leica, and a promise to try the Ricoh with the Leica's

Sony NEX-7 First Impressions

Do forget about wide Leica-lenses on the NEX-7 it seems. Look awfull. Go the Ricoh GXR-M-module-way...

Thorkil

I think the test was made with wrong focus of the Leica Lens. Why should the lens perfom so bad in the center? In the center there is no microlens shift. So the NEX7 should be with the Leica lens as sharp as the lens with the Leica M9/8.

Let's wait for a better made test.

Kind regards,

Bernd.