Focusing error of Summicron 75mm on Leica M9??

knopfler1976

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Mine has been back as well..... OOF at infinity

Now it's ok at infinity and for close.... but inexplicably out at 2-3m.

Only noticeable wide open when taking pics of flat objects perpendicular to the camera.....

Not sure I can be bothered to send it back for another go....

The DOF characteristics wide open are almost identical to the Noctilux 0.95 so its not surprising its a challenge to get images spot on.....

I also have this problem. I amsending the lens now to solms to get6bit code and te get checked up. I hope they will fix it.

Jerry

I am in a similar situation with a 75 Summicron and M9. I'm having the same issue, other lens focus fine, but the 75 just has a problem. When focussing on something near it's fine but once you try to focus at a distance there are issues.

I set the M9 on a sturdy tripod, focussed the lens to infinity and f16 and took a shot into the distance, nothing was in focus. I then removed the 75 and put another lens on with the same settings and it is fine.

I had the lens serviced, they said they adjusted back focus, it came back slightly better but still nothing would focus at infinity or at a distance.

People who are mentioning the viewfinder or depth of field or even user error as the problem, I can't understand how when set at infinity (thus removing the rangefinder or viewfinder and couplings from the equation) and using a tripod and a small aperture (for maximum depth of field -- which should in theory in my examples from about 10 metres to infinity), how these could cause such an issue.

Thank you all for the detailed replies!! I really appreciate it.

My experience is closer adan where from 1-5m it seems okay, but outside of that range, the focus seems to be off all the time. And I also have the

I currently do not intend to add a magnifier since I intend to do 35+75 combo on the street like elgenper. It'd be too cumbersome to have to take on and off the magnifier all the time. I just hope that 75 focuses reasonably enough.

In any case, I'll keep shooting for another couple of days. I suppose if the lens does need calibration, it'd take too many weeks before it's done that it'd miss my Paris trip in October. I think I'll just stick with it as is for my Paris trip and send it to Leica NJ as suggested by matlep.

Thank you all for the infos!! :D

Jerry

I got a Walter eye piece and my hit rate with all lenses 50 (especially Nocti at f 1.0) and up is now phenomenal. I do not own a 75, but my 90 and 135 hit rates are much better after installing that eye piece. If you have any astigmatism it works wonders.