Sign in to follow this  
boilerdoc

Nikon Coolscan and Windows 7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Silverfast or Vuescan? Nikon no longer supports their Coolscans with a Windows 7 driver. Grrrrr!

For those of us who scan our film, does anyone have a preference between these two products (or any other one)? Thanks!

Steve

doc, why fight history? I have posted this a few times, and there will be more then a few that agree-

Buy a beater XP box for a few hundred bucks, build a little scanning station and forget it. Go bare bones, no internet connection, no SW updates, no AV needed (as long as your other PC is kept clean). About the only thing you'll need is a transport from the scanner to a PC with whatever PP solution you use.

And forget it forever.

An interesting idea to try running Nikon Scan via a virtual machine and could well work, although I've not got any personal experience of doing this.

I didn't really think of this route when I realised that Nikon had dumped the program when the Mac OS moved on and had left me high and dry with my Coolscan 5000 ED. I opted for VueScan and have been happy with it so far.

I haven't had the need to run my SF210 slide feeder so far since the switch, so I don't know how the combo works with VueScan, although the literature indicates that VueScan supports batch scanning; as always though, you need to see it working in practice before you believe it.

By the way, there's a new book out on VueScan called the VueScan Bible by Sascha Steinhoff (20 USD at amazon). Could be useful if you want to supplement the program's own help material. I've got his Scanning Negatives and Slides and it's not bad, although not great.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Some great ideas here. The Old XP system would be virus free for sure and wouldn't be affected by future Windows upgrades. I hear that Vuescan is the way to go over Silverfast. Lot of people seem to really hate SF!!!

Thanks, Steve

In my experience, Vuescan is the best scanning software around, properly supported and updated and extremely versatile. Both Nikon Scan and SF are inferior, in my experience with both a Coolscan V and an Epson v700

At the end of 2007 I purchased a Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 ED. I think it's a very good scanner and I've been pleased with the purchase.

However, there were many threads similar to this one at the time I purchased my scanner. For that reason, I continued using Windows XP on my computer to avoid the incompatibility issues between (at that time) Windows Vista and Nikon Scan. Based on the reading I've done, I'm inclined to believe the same incompatibility issues remain with versions of Windows subsequent to Vista.

Nevertheless, with the inevitable passage of time, I'll probably need to upgrade my computer fairly soon and - most probably - will be running Windows 8 going forward.

Since my Coolscan remains in excellent condition but is no longer supported by Nikon, I've resurrected this thread to see if anybody has any different advice today about the available options for operating this scanner in a current Windows environment.

I use several programs that won't run on Windows 7. The answer for me was to add the "XP Mode" option to Windows 7 Professional. This installs a complete version of XP that runs as a virtual PC so doesn't see Win7 on the system at all. It has worked great with all I've tried on it.

I'm using Nikon Scan 4 (4.03) for Vista on my Windows 7 Computer. Nikon does not support it, but it works fine. I have used the V, 4000 & 5000 with it. It works for me w/o using the compatibility mode, but it is suggested you do that if it doesn't work.

Give it a try

TomB, Andy, Randy:

Thank you all for taking the time to post a comment in connection with my inquiry. Your views are representative of those I found elsewhere.

Randy -- thank you in particular for letting me know about Nikon Scan 4.03 -- I previously was unaware that Nikon had updated v. 4.02 (which is the version I have) to 4.03 so it would work with Vista in 32 bit mode, and now has tested 4.03 to confirm that it works with Windows 7. That's good information to know.

While I suppose I could find a way to make Nikon Scan work with Windows 8 using either of the suggestions made by TomB or Randy, I've reached a stage in life where working through software compatibility issues holds little appeal for me. When younger I reveled in challenges like that -- now, such challenges are just a burden. I'd much rather spend that time standing in a cold stream with a fly rod in my hand.

I expect when all the dust settles, I'll pursue the Vuescan approach advocated by Andy. $80 seems a small price to pay for ease of use and increased functionality.

Thanks guys.

Robert,

Your Welcome.

I use Vuescan as well.

I find I prefer the output I get with Slides using the Nikon Software and Negative film with Vuescan.

You can use both and find what you like as they do give different results.

The nice thing with Vuescan is that it works with all scanners, so you don't have a learning curve if you switch.

Also Ed Hamrick keeps on top of bugs & fixes when they show up

I find I prefer the output I get with Slides using the Nikon Software and Negative film with Vuescan.

Randy,

A very good point, and worthy of some serious consideration. Most of what I scan is old family slides.

Thanks for the follow-up.

You can always set up a computer to do dual boot up in order to keep an older operating system going.

I didn't care for Silverfast. It is very awkward. And Intel Macs should be able to boot to Windows XP if you have no other Mac choice.

The question is not necessarily Vuescan vs Nikon Scan, but to get the Coolscan working under Windows7. There is a problem with the Firewire implementation, so you will have to work around that. Google for Win7 and Firewire and you will find a fix. I think I used following Getting your Nikon Coolscan to work on W7 x64 - Windows 7 Forums and it works like a charm.

Good luck,

Jean

For W7-x32 I've had no issues at all, including firewire for the 4000 using v4.03, but for x64 this looks like a good workaround

Edited by lewis44

For scanning software, VueScan is very hard to surpass. I operate a Nikon 5000 and 8000 plus an Epson 700, all concurrently under Win 7 and VueScan.

As for Win 7 and Firewire, should not be a problem. My aging Coolscan 8000 (firewire) is working faultlessly under Win 7 using VueScan.