M8 repair - cracked LCD Screen cover

Enoksen

I'm suprised. It usually takes quite a hard knock to cause them to crack. Are you sure it's not a protective cover (glass or plastic) that the previous owner had installed over the original camera screen that's cracked? Have a look along an edge and see if you can see a sandwich construction, the original screen with another stuck on top.

If it is a protective screen on top that's cracked it should be possible to remove it. Usually the best method is to pull a strong thread backwards and forwards between the screens, cutting the adhesive between them. Once removed you can remove any residual adhesive from the camera screen with a rag dampened with isopropyl alcohol. You have to be careful not to pull away from the camera back while doing this else you risk pulling the original screen off the camera.

There are many manufacturers of self adhesive protective screens. I use ACMAXX. There have been several posts on the forum about alternatives. Do a forum search for 'screen protector'.

If it's the original camera screen that's cracked there's no real alternative other than sending the camera to Leica for repair. I believe the camera back has to be replaced (unlike other manufacturers cameras) which makes the repair expensive.

Oh, and welcome to the forum :)

Bob.

I'm suprised. It usually takes quite a hard knock to cause them to crack. Are you sure it's not a protective cover (glass or plastic) that the previous owner had installed over the original camera screen that's cracked? Have a look along an edge and see if you can see a sandwich construction, the original screen with another stuck on top.

If it is a protective screen on top that's cracked it should be possible to remove it. Usually the best method is to pull a strong thread backwards and forwards between the screens, cutting the adhesive between them. Once removed you can remove any residual adhesive from the camera screen with a rag dampened with isopropyl alcohol. You have to be careful not to pull away from the camera back while doing this else you risk pulling the original screen off the camera.

There are many manufacturers of self adhesive protective screens. I use ACMAXX. There have been several posts on the forum about alternatives. Do a forum search for 'screen protector'.

If it's the original camera screen that's cracked there's no real alternative other than sending the camera to Leica for repair. I believe the camera back has to be replaced (unlike other manufacturers cameras) which makes the repair expensive.

Oh, and welcome to the forum :)

Bob.

Thanks. The screen is sticking a bit out from the body itself but i dont see any sandwich like you said.

So I dont think it has any protector. But ive heard that the M8 glass cover can pop out... Or fall out if you heat it gently with a hairdryer. So I thought maybe I can change it myself since I dont want send my "new" camera away for 6-8 weeks..

Funny story actually..the camera bumped with a M9 causing the crack

Edited by Enoksen

If it sticks out it is sure to be a screen protector. The LCD itself is flush. You better pray it is the protector. Replacing the LCD cover is an extremely expensive repair, in the order of 500 to 750 Euro at a guess.

It is indeed possible to unstck the LCD with a hairdryer. Glueing it back is another matter. To replace it the whole camera must be disassembled.

Edited by jaapv

If it sticks out it is sure to be a screen protector. The LCD itself is flush. You better pray it is the protector. Replacing the LCD cover is an extremely expensive repair, in the order of 500 to 750 Euro at a guess.

It is indeed possible to unstck the LCD with a hairdryer. Glueing it back is another matter. To replace it the whole camera must be disassembled.

I tried to see if its was a protector, and its not. The Leica original protectorglass poped out :(

Cant you buy this part loose?

A shappire upgrade is 750 Euros so it can be more expensive than that?

No you cannot buy it as a spare part. The repair is not a DIY job. The camera has to be disassembled completely to get at the unit. If it was sticking out in the first place it was loose before you bumped it, which may explain the crack.

Just send it to Leica and decide, after you get the estimate, whether you want a repair or an upgrade. The upside is that you get a one-year guaranty on the whole camera afterwards.

Edited by jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If it would be my personal user M8, and I would intended, to keep and using it for a while, I definitely would unstick the LCD cover glass by a qualified method, glue the cracked pieces together with appropriate glue, shave/ polish any excess glue,

Apply a strong and sticky screen protector on top, to give the weakened construction some strength and glue it back to the camera.

Should the time come, that I wanted to sell the camera, I would offer the potential buyer a deal with appropriate discount on the camera, taking into account the cost of the repair or having Leica repair the thing and sell it at a premium over current M8 as of new leather, glass, RF adjustment and Leica warranty.

They all fit pretty well, albeit not 100%, but are not exactly the same shape as the original screen (different radius on the corners for instance) The glue is a narrow strip of foam on the edges that takes up the discrepancies.

Please do report on your success or otherwise.

My M8 has a lot of dust under the original plastic LCD cover (I have never added more than a plastic film to the outer surface).

I live with it as I use only the histogram to check images - and I won't be reimbursing Leica for the dust problem.

But if there's a do-it-yourself option, I'd be interested.

Just got my ACMAXX today and im very happy with the DIY repair.

I had to shave off 1 mm at the bottom with a knife.

Much, much better than a cracked screen.

It will be like this until I find the time to send it to Leica...

Thanks for all your replies

6153473815_edc78c9cab.jpg

Edited by Enoksen
Image size
  • Like 1

That temporary repair looks great. Hey, if you want it to be stronger, get a second screen and pit it on. It will be rigid and strong. When it scratches too much, peel them off na dget a new one. People who own Canon and Nikon DSLR's do this all the time. Why should the Leica owner be any different? The M8 was designed to be used, not to look at!

• 8 years later...