"Do you know this building?" Game Thread

kokoshawnuff

1 hour ago, mdemeyer said:

I believe it’s the Citadel at Entrevaux.

Correct. Built in the 17th century by Maréchal Vauban to protect France from an invasion from the Grand Duchy of Savoy. When my legs worked better a few years ago, I walked up to this, from where there are views over the walled town of Entrevaux and the Nice to Digne narrow gauge railway. There were still graffiti visible from WW1 and WW2 soldiers who had been stationed there, including some poetry, sadly being obscured by mindless vandals spraying their inane tags over the walls and ceilings. This is the view from Citadel. The splendid ziz-zag road on the other side of the town is the mountain route back towards my house some 100km away to the south west. This was great fun in my Porsche 997 Turbo 😀

Your turn

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

A small sampling of a colorful neighborhood...  where?

Thank you.

Let's try this one.  The building's name, please.

Michael D is correct, and JDL & Michael G are also correct and added more info.  This building is on 42nd Street east of 6th Avenue.  It's twin is on 58th Street west of 6th Avenue.  I suspect they reused the design to save on design and permitting costs.

Your turn again, Michael D.

The travertine clad Grace building facade was actually the rejected proposal for it's "twin" the flush-glazed Solow building (actually on 57th technically - that's where the famous big red 9 by Chermayeff stands to mark the entrance). 

Both are by Gordon Bunshaft of S.O.M.  (My wife's New York office is in the Grace - Chandler Bing's was in the Solow.....)

8 hours ago, stuny said:

Michael D is correct, and JDL & Michael G are also correct and added more info.  This building is on 42nd Street east of 6th Avenue.  It's twin is on 58th Street west of 6th Avenue.  I suspect they reused the design to save on design and permitting costs.

Your turn again, Michael D.

Hello Stuart,

They probably also built it again because it is nice.

Best Regards,

Michael

Let's travel about 6,800 miles for this one.  Don't be confused by the Tiffany sign... it has nothing to do with the building, which is very unique...

(Sorry for the poor image quality.  On the road and didn’t have any decent software to reduce the size of the image.)

Edited by mdemeyer