"Do you know this building?" Game Thread

kokoshawnuff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is your next one. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 1

Luckily not USVI or else it might have been badly damaged.

My wife and I have booked a holiday on Puerto Rico in February next year. We suspect, as Mauabo, where our chosen hotel is (was), is on the south coast, about where the eye came ashore, and the hotel was on the beach, there will be nothing left of it. You cannot communicate at all to PR at the moment. I was trying to get hold of Seabourne A/L with whom we were booked to fly to PR from Antigua yesterday and cannot get through on phone or email. 

I used to co-own a hurricane insurance underwriting business on the US Virgin Islands but I am very relieved that we closed it down, because of political interference. The local politicians said we were charging too much, as the islands never got that badly hit by a hurricane - oh yes!

Wilson

Hello Wilson,

You may well be right about Puerto Rico not being fixed by the time of your trip. For the most part, to date, there has been very little done in the way of repairing damage & very little of the aid that has been sent has left the docks or/& the airports. 90% of telephone service throughout the Island is still inoperable. Travel is still very difficult in & to many parts of the Island.

This on top of an ailing infrastructure that was already often inoperable. The replacement & repairs of which had been cut back significantly before the Hurricanes had even arrived. With even more cuts planned.

By the way, are we talking about somewhere down around Grenada?

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

Hello Wilson,

You may well be right about Puerto Rico not being fixed by the time of your trip. For the most part, to date, there has been very little done in the way of repairing damage & very little of the aid that has been sent has left the docks or/& the airports. 90% of telephone service throughout the Island is still inoperable. Travel is still very difficult in & to many parts of the Island.

This on top of an ailing infrastructure that was already often inoperable. The replacement & repairs of which had been cut back significantly before the Hurricanes had even arrived. With even more cuts planned.

By the way, are we talking about somewhere down around Grenada?

Best Regards,

Michael

Not far from Grenada. This is house is of major historical importance, not just in its locale. 

Wilson

Bump - hint religious connotations in the name but not in usage (ever really). You could certainly end up rather merry after a visit here. I will be visiting this house, when I am staying with my sister in law in January, as she is a friend of the current owners. 

Wilson

• 2 weeks later...

Saint Nicholas Abbey, the Great House, Barbados.

Correct - your turn.

It is one of only three Jacobean mansions from this period in the western hemisphere and dates from 1658. Larry Warren who now owns it and restored it from poor condition runs a good restaurant in the main house. They make an excellent 15 year old rum on the premises. Larry has restored a lot of the original machinery including the steam engine which powers cane rolls, to crush the cane syrup out of their home grown sugar cane, which then is fermented to make the wash to distill into rum. I will be having lunch there in January. 

Wilson

• Like 2

Next up.....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!