"Do you know this building?" Game Thread

kokoshawnuff

Hello Michael,

I would guess a 35mm, F2.8 with a serial # of, about, 1812345.

F stop used for this nice photo: 2.8

Enjoy your trip.

Best Regards,

Michael

Hi Michael,

Quite close lens guess - in fact a 35mm Summaron 3.5, #1179287 (stolen last Oct and much missed). Probably about f8 to get reasonable overall sharpness.

Yeah, but Michael, in Italian/Italy, everything ends in a vowel. ;) Not much help there....

La penna di mia zia è verde/rossa/gialla/nera.

Bloody 'ell. I never thought of that. :)

Michael -

I'm nearly certain I've seen it but I cannot place it.  I suspect Rome or Florence.

Rome it is. Now a museum, associated with a great family.

Hello, could not verify the staircase from my own photos but your clues could lead to Palazzo Doria-Pamphili ( although sometimes spelled -Pamphilj ), a great museum but still also a residence, several architects, the first was called Carlo Maderno.   

Best regards,    Arto

Hello Michael,

Could this building have been built within the last 300 years, more or less?

Best Regards,

Michael

Hello, could not verify the staircase from my own photos but your clues could lead to Palazzo Doria-Pamphili ( although sometimes spelled -Pamphilj ), a great museum but still also a residence, several architects, the first was called Carlo Maderno.   

Best regards,    Arto

Hi Michael and Arto,

This building was built around 1630 or so – it seems to have taken some years – this is not a pre-fab unit from IKEA.

The Palazzo Doria-Pamphilj is a great guess – it is one of my favourite places in Rome. Still the residence of the original family, and the fabulous art collection is still their private property. The audio guides available for a small fee are both very informative – and the narrator is the current Prince Jonathan Doria-Pamphilj. However, this is not the building in question. Close but no cigar.

The family, whose name is associated, no longer resides in their palazzo – but they still exist, much the way the Medici descendants still are around. No longer movers and shakers. 

“My” building contains an important public art collection.

Hello Michael,

the next guess would then be Villa Borghese original from 1630's housing the family art collections that are now publicly owned. More gallery buildings have been added later for the collections.

Best regards, Arto

Great stuff - Palazzo Barberini it is. Congratulations. This picture is of the square Bernini staircase that is on the left side of the building. An interesting aspect of the building is that there is also a magnificent helical staircase on the right side of the building designed by Boromini. 

Therefore Arto - you're up.