"Do you know this building?" Game Thread

kokoshawnuff

Alrighty

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 4 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Try this one - as usual, extra credit for date and architect(s):

Edited by adan

Not in or near Pennsylvania.

Mich - there was a "near miss" in the careers of this architect and Niemeyer, interrupted by US politics in the early 1950s. Close, but no cigar.

This building does coincidentally contain a small museum, although that is about 5% of the space and function.

Are we talking about the McCarthy era? The only architect, that I can connect to this time, is Gregory Ain. It just doesn't seem to be his style. Looks more like Louis Kahn or Philip Johnson.

I believe your pic shows just a small detail of a much bigger building, so it is a bit tricky. 😉

23 hours ago, adan said:

Mich - there was a "near miss" in the careers of this architect and Niemeyer, interrupted by US politics in the early 1950s.

Edited by mich

Oh - I read his answer as general comment, not a guess. (It does look like Kahn - and Le Corbusier, and Rudolph, and KMc&K, and dozens of other mid-century architects who used betón brut (rough-cast concrete) ).

However, not Ain, Johnson, or Kahn. And not Florida

1. Yes

2. Maybe - but probably not to the extent of, say, the Sydney Opera House or 3 St. Mary's Axe.

Quite a few pictures on this thread have shown "parts" of buildings, often a much smaller area than my entry. It is (sometimes) part of the game.

I will give the hint that it would be almost impossible to photograph all of this building at once, without stitching, or from the air, or perhaps a 6mm fisheye. A combination of size and location.

Another angle, however....

Edited by adan

Your clues could point at Le Corbusier, that you mention but do not exclude. His creation of Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts could by style match your pictures as well. It was designed in collaboration with Guillermo Jullian de la Fuente from Chile and completed 1962.