50mm summilux lens protection

salim

Advertisement (gone after registration)

anyone can suggest the best way to protect the lens. I dont like the lens cap that came with, also I hate to put it on and off. If you know any very good filter that I can put on my lens all the time would appreciate. A link would be nice. thanks

Any good UV or clear glass filter – Leica, Hoya, B+W, whatever. I use a Leica UVa.

AND the lens cap. What's wrong with it? It's the best-designed cap there is. Yes, you can of course forget to remove it. That is a matter of learning a good habit, like zipping the trousers fly before leaving the toilet. That can of course be a problem.

The old man from the Button Age

• Like 1

I dont hate the lens cape but removing and putting it on everytime I want to take a picture!.

Having the filter on, I dont need to worry about anything, getting scratch, dust etc.

What size of the filter again for the 50mm leica summilux?

I use B+W 010 UV 46mm. Solid metal and has advantage of easy to clean glass.

some filter brands smudge easily and are a devil to clean.

I would have bought a B+W clear filter (as the UV is not needed) but can't seem to find in UK

UV doesn't seem to effect anything though:

6019130143_aef0dd56f0_o.jpg

rgds

Hello salim,

I would suggest a rigid metal lens hood to protect your lenses. A rigid metal lens hood can protect a lens from many types of inadvertant or unintentional impact by being between the lens & what it hits thereby absorbing a portion of the impact.

Better to replace a lens hood than a lens element or something mechanical.

Perhaps a 12585 or 12504 for the 35 & a 12586 for the 50 if they are compatable w/ the versions of lenses you have. If not their equivalents.

If you use no filter there is no image loss.

Also: A proper lens hood is useful for suppressing glare & other exteraneous light in many situations.

BTW: I look @ a narrow shoulder strap w/o shoulder pad, lens hoods, a small sturdy table tripod w/ large ball head & a cable release sort of like buying better shock absorbers & better tires when you buy a car. A small investment that adds way beyond the proportional cost to the end quality of what you get.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

I am loathe to put any glass on the front of my lens, seems to defeat purpose of why I bought the lens.

Mine has built in retractable lens hood - this is all I use and I am really careful. If my M9 is not around my neck, it's in the bag.

The more I pay for something the cheaper it is - eg. sunglasses, watches and fountain pens - I simply never lose them, saving myself a packet over the longer term.

• Like 2

I am loathe to put any glass on the front of my lens, seems to defeat purpose of why I bought the lens.

Mine has built in retractable lens hood - this is all I use and I am really careful. If my M9 is not around my neck, it's in the bag.

The more I pay for something the cheaper it is - eg. sunglasses, watches and fountain pens - I simply never lose them, saving myself a packet over the longer term.

Funny, that you say that Karina - I have a set of old F600 Rotring pens - my daily used F600 black paint on brass ball pen is for years with me, looks surprisingly close to my Leica M8.2 in fit and finish, costs me about 1 − 3 EUR/ year for a new filling.

I gave it a full CLA just a few days ago and it will hold for the next years to come.

I know people, who go to the store every months, to buy those cheap, crappy plastic pens, that get misplaced, broken or worse, people, who have to suffer through their lifes with freebe plastic pens …

To Salim

If you don't shoot in the rain, in dusty, dirty, grimey or dangerous environment, just use the lens as designed.

If you are afraid or too lazy, to have to clean the front element of the naked lens form time to time, buy an B&W clear MRC filter, screw it on the lens and wipe it with a cloth, should it get wet or dirty.

These filters are the best options, when one MUST use a filter.

I use filters only on lenses, that are very difficult to replace (vintage, rare to find in good condition lenses) or that are in fact more prone to scratches from heavy cleaning or accidents (older Leitz or any uncoated glass).

When I shoot, I always shoot from a bag, have the cameras without caps, but extended lens hoods in the bag, switched on, pre set.

I use lens caps only for transportation and storage.

I have had shots ruined by flare and ghosts from filters. I pay a huuge sum of money for these Leitz lenses, why put another glass in front, if I do not must?

I was under the impression that if you use a Leica UV filter, there would be no image degradation?

Well there's always going to be some "degradation" if you put another piece of glass, no matter how nice, in front of a lens. The question is if it can be seen in the final image. Personally I doubt that it can.

I've used UV/Skylight filters for years and they've saved me more than once, not only from bumps or scratches but also from the effects of water, humidity and dirt. That said, this concerns my Canon equipment which has been with me in pretty extreme places and I am wondering if I'd use my Leica equipment the same way. Then again I might - equipement is made to be used imho, particularly such finely tuned and well built stuff as Leicas.

A lens hood is definitely the best way though, if you don't want a filter. For instance, having one of those on my Canon lenses, I am pretty carefree when I walk around with the camera on my shoulder. I don't mind at all that the lens on occasion touches something.

Query: I have a Summilux with retractable hood and an Elmarit-M 90mm also with retractable hood. Can I use the hoods if I fit ordinary, say B+W, filters on the lenses?

Cheers

Philip

Each time I go out on a shoot, I get home with lots of dust on my lenses, and camera body. Somehow, photographic equipment = dust magnet.

To me, and as pointed out by Philip, the "degradation" is indiscernible that I'd trade "image degradation" anytime for "lense protection" if I had to risk scratching the front element of those precious glass whenever I have to clean them. Cleaning the MRC B+Ws is so much easier.

Each time I go out on a shoot, I get home with lots of dust on my lenses, and camera body. Somehow, photographic equipment = dust magnet.

To me, and as pointed out by Philip, the "degradation" is indiscernible that I'd trade "image degradation" anytime for "lense protection" if I had to risk scratching the front element of those precious glass whenever I have to clean them. Cleaning the MRC B+Ws is so much easier.

Airblower,

lens brush,

breath on lens + lens tissue / lens cleaning fluid + lens tissue for gunk

Above for all modern lenses with hard coating after normal daily usage under normal conditions.

For very hard to replace lenses or lenses with exposed soft glass elements or any lens under severe condition, I use B&W clear MRC filters for protection.

I try to prevent these filters, especially @ night. I hate ghosts and reflections.

For my 50mm Summilux, I leave a filter and lens hood on, then, I put on something called a "OP/TECH USA Hood Hat".

As their website describes it:

The neoprene HOOD HAT™ slides over the sunshade to protect the lens from dust, moisture and impact. Its tapered cylindrical design makes it easy to apply and easy to remove, yet won't fall off. When combined with the LENS SLEEVE™ (sold separately) it creates an ideal solution for storing lenses with hoods. When shooting with longer lenses the HOOD HAT™ can be joined with our exclusive LENS SUPPORT ADAPTOR to combine lens protection with stabilization. HOOD HAT™ is sure to be an essential part of your gear.

I also keep it attached to the body with a short piece of black elastic cord that I found in my wife's sewing kit.

Its always there, easy off and on, and protects the lens from bumps.

I also cut a round disk of stiff 1/2" foam and put it inside the the Hood Hat to give the front of the lens extra protection.

I use these on all my lenses. (No interest in the Co.)

website at:

OP/TECH USA Hood Hat

I get them at Adorama

While you may not see any degradation from a UVa filter, the potential for internal reflections increases greatly. I've used them on my lenses since the '60s, but recently was comparing the effects. These shots with and without a UVa when there is a strong light source in the frame shows the difference. (Sorry, these are not on a Leica, but at the same time I got very similar results from my Leica lenses - just don't have those files on my laptop on this trip.)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

While you may not see any degradation from a UVa filter, the potential for internal reflections increases greatly. I've used them on my lenses since the '60s, but recently was comparing the effects. These shots with and without a UVa when there is a strong light source in the frame shows the difference. (Sorry, these are not on a Leica, but at the same time I got very similar results from my Leica lenses - just don't have those files on my laptop on this trip.)

[ATTACH]277102[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]277103[/ATTACH]

Yes, I agree that filters can be problematic when harsh lighting/light source is included in the picture. And filters may also not do justice to the lense's full capabilities. But I suppose the quality of the filter may also be a factor.

I usually avoid situations where I may get flare or ghosting and I shoot with that in mind. But in humid, and sometimes windy, Singapore, dust and grit can be a real bother. So I still put my bet on my trusty B+Ws. :)

Yes, I agree that filters can be problematic when harsh lighting/light source is included in the picture. And filters may also not do justice to the lense's full capabilities. But I suppose the quality of the filter may also be a factor.

I usually avoid situations where I may get flare or ghosting and I shoot with that in mind. But in humid, and sometimes windy, Singapore, dust and grit can be a real bother. So I still put my bet on my trusty B+Ws. :)

Does anyone think that even the Leica UV filter for the 50 lux would degrade the image? I was just able to locate a chrome one for my new chrome 50 lux and its not cheap so if it degrades image quality, Im not sure its worth the extra cost.