Still Loving the M8

wilfredo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Which Camera Profile do you use In Lightroom 4?

I use my own calibration. Adobe standard with these camera calibration modifications:

Red hue +10, red saturation +10, green hue 0, green saturation 0, blue hue -25, blue saturation -50.

I also use the same calibration for M9 (more for simplicity). These are manual calibrations not measured, but to my eyes at least, get rid of the neonish-greenish-blue tint of the adobe profiles for leica.

Go ahead and try it. It might not be perfect for your camera but it is a good starting point.

That said, the difference in noise, detail and color between LR2 of the M8 era and todays LR4 is dramatic. Shots I would have binned back then are now perfectly publishable.

Good thing I didnt bin the DNG files!

ALL M8 owners should have lightroom 4, just for what it can do to rescue ISO 1250 shots.

I too find M8 black-and-whites gorgeous, and I suspect the IR sensitivity has something to do with it.

It is funny how sometimes products perceived as a dog in their time become iconic with time.

• Like 4

I use my own calibration. Adobe standard with these camera calibration modifications:

Red hue +10, red saturation +10, green hue 0, green saturation 0, blue hue -25, blue saturation -50.

I also use the same calibration for M9 (more for simplicity). These are manual calibrations not measured, but to my eyes at least, get rid of the neonish-greenish-blue tint of the adobe profiles for leica.

Go ahead and try it. It might not be perfect for your camera but it is a good starting point.

That said, the difference in noise, detail and color between LR2 of the M8 era and todays LR4 is dramatic. Shots I would have binned back then are now perfectly publishable.

Good thing I didnt bin the DNG files!

ALL M8 owners should have lightroom 4, just for what it can do to rescue ISO 1250 shots.

I too find M8 black-and-whites gorgeous, and I suspect the IR sensitivity has something to do with it.

It is funny how sometimes products perceived as a dog in their time become iconic with time.

Cool, i wil try that to see if gets better than my own profile :)

The more I shoot with my M8, the more I love it!

And the set of lenses I now have for it is perfect for me.

Voigtländer Super-Wide Heliar 4.5/15

Voigtländer Ultron 2/28

Leitz Summitar 2/5cm

Leitz Elmar 4/90

They all work charmingly on the M8.

I also like the results given by LR 3.6 (I have not upgraded to 4 and I won't.)

Bought an M9P last month and I love it. I never was happy with the M8 colors, but I did some tests and put them into ACR and adjusted the M8 colors to look like the M9 colors. Saved it as a preset.

Now for most applications, I can not see the difference. So I keep it as a back up. It is a good camera with 6000 clicks, most by previous owner(s).

It needs filtered and coded lenses to be decent, so that is all done. I just leave the filters on when the lenses go on the M9.

I need to buy a pair of cards as I borrowed one of the 16GB Lexar from the M8. I can not buy the 133x anymore so I hope the faster cards work ok.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Still working flawlessly after five years.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

I still love the M8, but.

Something has changed. I've been shooting more at ISO 320, especially since it's the dark time of the year, and I need the fast shutterspeed in street photography, and the files just don't have that "pop" any more. They still look as gorgeous as ever in b&w, no question about that, but the straight out of camera color images somehow seem... flat.

Another part to this is that the DNGs at ISO 320 just have nowhere near the room to adjust as my other camera has, and it has finally caught up. And ISO 320 isn't even enough for all occasions, but the 640 is awful and has banding and yuck.

The way I feel is that the M8 is still as capable as ever, it's just that it's 2006 design in nearly 2013. Time doesn't treat digital kindly.