Still Loving the M8

wilfredo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ah, the M8. Mine

- has banding at ISO 640 and above

- has all the usual "can't stand bright lights at frame edges" problems

- has a dirty sensor all the time

- has two batteries which always keep dying at the worst times, especially with long exposures and cold

- does the color cast thing with my 21mm Elmarit and the IR filter

- has a power switch that is failing along with the shutter button. No discreet advance, Bulb, or T-mode if it's raining, cold, or Tuesday.

and yet somehow shooting with the bloody thing calms my nerves and most of all: 90% of the images I'm proud of come from the M8 and not my D700.

I'm trying to figure out the way to get it to Solms for CLA & power switch repair soon. The only thing I worry is how can I be without the M8 for those weeks.

"From my cold dead hands."

• Like 6

When I bought my M8 during the summer of 2007 I couldn't find new lenses. I had my M8 for two months before I was able to get my first new lens.

I was already comfortable with rangefinders as I had inherited my father's III-f and lenses. I know the M8 is only 10 Megapixels but it seems much sharper than any other digital camera I've had my hands on. I've drooled over the M9 but I didn't see that much of a difference to justify spending that kind of money on a body that will probably be replaced by another new model in a few years. To me, it's the lenses that are most important.

I try to take the M8 on every trip and I really admire its precision and feel. Sometime in the future I'll buy another body - who knows how many pixels that one will have but one thing I do know is that it's the person behind the lens that makes the photo, not the camera. Black Chrome forever!

Jim in Manhattan

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

This behavior of the M8.2 makes it actually a more desirable camera to me, than my M9, which I know, will be sold in an eye blink, should a better sensor come around one day.

My M8.2 will stay!

If you're letting go off your M9 do lemme know =) hehehe

Ah, the M8. Mine

- has two batteries which always keep dying at the worst times, especially with long exposures and cold

- has a power switch that is failing along with the shutter button. No discreet advance, Bulb, or T-mode if it's raining, cold, or Tuesday.

and yet somehow shooting with the bloody thing calms my nerves and most of all: 90% of the images I'm proud of come from the M8 and not my D700.

I'm trying to figure out the way to get it to Solms for CLA & power switch repair soon. The only thing I worry is how can I be without the M8 for those weeks.

I have had a number of M8 and none have banding even at ISO 2500

• Like 1

Ah, the M8. Mine

The best definition I've read in recent times about a M8! Great!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Still loving my M8, for B&W

• Like 2

hurray on those brassed fucked up m8s!!

recently my base plate attachment just broke away ^^ but the m8 still works!!! just duck-taped it..

Edited by mthoelen
  • Like 2

This looks like the "rat bike" equivalent in Leica world - nice.

I saw a Leica body & lens owned by a famous Dutch photographer (now deceased) who apparently after imbibing some EtOH was prone to throwing his Leica stuff around the room. Anyway the equipment looked interestingly used and was still in 100% operating order. Think it was a M3 or M2 with 50 summicron.

That's the beauty of it though - they each have their own charm. ;)

I rather lean your way Dbl Neg.

Lots of M's of Different Vintages, different coverings, different base metals, and different paint/chroming processes, wear quite differently.

I personally believe that, as M's, they are all equally beautiful..

but some are much more 'equal' than others! :-D

Richard in Michigan

Am I the only one who thinks that a worn, for example, M3 looks classy. A worn M8 just looks like a worn M8.

P.S. I own an M8

I think, my worn black paint M8.2 looks classy, but surely not as classy, as a worn black paint M3.

Then again, it is MY worn M8.2 and that makes it special over any other worn M3, which is, why I love black paint Leicas in the first place :D

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

This tool is amazing!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...