wilfredo

Still Loving the M8

Hi guys, this is my first post in this forum. Just got my first ever Leica 3 days ago.

Been saving my money for Leica.

A month ago :

- was deciding to move to rangefinder. With a saving for new gear

- decided to go for digital rangefinder. Its not easy to buy and print and film in Jakarta.

- At this moment I decided to go for Fuji X100s (some of source on the internet says its a rangefinder, please clarify)

Three weeks ago :

- bought a second hand Leica D'lux 6 from a friend.

- decided to get a leica after this

Two weeks ago :

- browsing for a Leica rangefinder on any second hand markets, no result.

- Decided to sell all of my DSLR stuff (2 cameras, 7 lenses)

- on the end of the week, finally found SOMEONE that post his leica on the market.

A week ago :

- Negotiate with the seller

- finally he include his lens also

Got the Leica M8, also voigtlander 28mm for 1500USD. I hope its a bargain. Although the screen first layer is cracked, but anything else is really okay.

read on some web, that M8 has some IR issues where it recognize Black as Purple. Havent got my hands on the IR filter yet, but havent found the IR problem so far.

I'm kinda worru if something happening on my Leica. It needs to be sent to Singapore, since Jakarta store doesnt has any Service Centre.

Edited by sodark1828

Hi guys, this is my first post in this forum. Just got my first ever Leica 3 days ago.

Been saving my money for Leica.

A month ago :

- was deciding to move to rangefinder. With a saving for new gear

- decided to go for digital rangefinder. Its not easy to buy and print and film in Jakarta.

- At this moment I decided to go for Fuji X100s (some of source on the internet says its a rangefinder, please clarify)

Three weeks ago :

- bought a second hand Leica D'lux 6 from a friend.

- decided to get a leica after this

Two weeks ago :

- browsing for a Leica rangefinder on any second hand markets, no result.

- Decided to sell all of my DSLR stuff (2 cameras, 7 lenses)

- on the end of the week, finally found SOMEONE that post his leica on the market.

A week ago :

- Negotiate with the seller

- finally he include his lens also

Got the Leica M8, also voigtlander 28mm for 1500USD. I hope its a bargain. Although the screen first layer is cracked, but anything else is really okay.

IMG_0036.JPG

read on some web, that M8 has some IR issues where it recognize Black as Purple. Havent got my hands on the IR filter yet, but havent found the IR problem so far.

I'm kinda worru if something happening on my Leica. It needs to be sent to Singapore, since Jakarta store doesnt has any Service Centre.

Good pick, the Voigtlander 28mm goes nicely on the M8, I use one myself. Enjoy the M8 is unique!

I bought my M8.2 several weeks before the M9 came out.  One of my favorite camera shops, "Roberts Imaging", found me a demonstrator camera that I could afford.  Since then it's been a love and hate affair, as I struggled with the camera.  I expected to continue on where I left off a lifetime ago with my M2 and M3 cameras, but there was SO much to learn.  This forum was a big help.  I used it for a while, then went back to my Nikon world.  Then I tried again, and while I got a lot further, I never got proficient at using it.  Three weeks ago I decided to give it another try, using it exclusively, while studying the manual, and dozens of web sites.  At some point I found the mode where I could set it for f/11, turn on auto-iso, and set the shutter speed dial to A, and the camera started taking care of many of the details, leaving me to concentrate on the image.

Images varied from sharp to blurry, probably because the 35mm 'lux' was coming apart.  I sat with the lens in my hand for an hour or so, finally noticing three microscopic screws that were obviously loose.  With the tiniest screwdriver I own, I tightened them, and was back in business.  From my previous attempt at getting to use the camera, I had two new Voigtlander lenses, one 25mm and one 15mm.  This added to my 35, and an old 50mm Summicron.  I decided yesterday to take only the 35mm, and see if I was still good at street photography.  I had a great time, and the camera was so easy to use!

This morning, on a spur of the moment, I decided to take an infrared photo.  The meter popped up with the right exposure, and lining up "infinity" at the f/4 mark on the lens, focus was good.  Here's the result:

I have very old Nikons, and newer Nikons.  Three years ago I quit playing the game of having the newest.  I'm sure they're all capable of wonderful photography, but they're just not.....   fun!  The M8.2 is a challenge, while being thoroughly enjoyable to use.  It's quiet (at least to me), handles well, and gets spectacular images.  The smaller sensor doesn't bother me in the slightest - my other cameras, Fuji X100s, and Canon G7x Mk II have small sensors,, and I think the M8 sensor is larger than either.  There's nothing magic about 24x36 - other sensors are smaller - and larger!

It's hard to explain, but I just plain enjoy using the M8, and when the images show up in Lightroom they are wonderful!  

I see I'm not the only one who has noticed this.

I need to do a lot of reading here - I remember someone 'Jaap'? who was an expert at it.  I learned a lot from him, and need to find all that information again so I can re-learn!

I also need to buy a Thumbs-Up!  Holding the camera with one hand doesn't feel anything as nice as holding my Fuji using its equivalent of a Thumbs-Up.

Edited by MikeMyers