wilfredo

Still Loving the M8

old M8 + 35 Lux by teknopunk.com, on Flickr

I will find out over the next months, if this will be my holy grail.

Here is a picture of the two 35 Luxes together - my old 35 Lux ASPH (most used 35mm) and the new girl - a 35 pre ASPH (wish, I had not waited so long).

I will find out over the next months, if this will be my holy grail.

Here is a picture of the two 35 Luxes together - my old 35 Lux ASPH (most used 35mm) and the new girl - a 35 pre ASPH (wish, I had not waited so long).

I think it will be.

The M8 provides much sharper images than the M9, and the focal length turns to around 50mm. It's a winner.

I would like a 35 pre-asph lux, if I could find one.

I think it will be.

The M8 provides much sharper images than the M9, and the focal length turns to around 50mm. It's a winner.

I would like a 35 pre-asph lux, if I could find one.

I will see, how it turns out. Reason for doubts is, that in fact I have started to like the ASPH over the course of time, finding a nice pre ASPH sample.

You cannot imagine, how many of those pre ASPH are really beaten up, sold off @ insane prices! It's not easy, to find a good one (most, I have tried where rattling, as the focus mount is a delicate construction with the pre ASPH Lux, that doesn't withstand ham fists well).

Has anyone here knows how much is the cost of replacing the top and bottom plate of the Leica M8? and would they change the hotshoe with it? anyone here experienced changing these before? thanks

Great thread. Of course the Leica is a picture-taking machine, but I don't mind if it looks handsome also..

Here's a photo of my M8 with a Summaron 28mm, SOOGZ filter adapter, B+W chrome uv/ir filter and generic ebay metal hood slightly down-sanded on the edges.

Taken with my Olympus digital Pen.

Can't argue with that. There's really not a lot of bad things you can say about the M9, especially if you enjoy the rangefinder philosophy. BUT, with that said... given the performance of my M8, I'm really finding it difficult to justify purchasing an M9.

Definitely still loving the M8!!

How could somebody not love their M8?

"M8.2 | 1932 Hektor 7.3cm ƒ1.9" on flickr

seen a few of these black M8`s with all the edges worn back to brass, do you use this cleaner that you have used on the dots, also on the edges, then polish it up?

Ps. i want!

seen a few of these black M8`s with all the edges worn back to brass, do you use this cleaner that you have used on the dots, also on the edges, then polish it up?

Ps. i want!

Haha - no, no cleaner can do that.

This is a Leica M8.2 - a later version of the M8, which is finished by Leica in a black lacquer, that wears with regular use.

I do have the camera in daily use now for about 1 1/2 years.

When I bought it, it had already very slight brassing on the on/off switch, the tip of the RF window and some brassing on the base plate.

This behavior of the M8.2 makes it actually a more desirable camera to me, than my M9, which I know, will be sold in an eye blink, should a better sensor come around one day.

My M8.2 will stay!

The black M9 has a different paint process (powder coating), which doesn't wear the same.

I have seen cameras, that have been treated with car polish, to get a similar "shine" and sandpaper, to wear edges.

As interesting this might be, one can instantly spot a "user aged" from any "sanded" body by how the edges are worn.

I dislike the idea of filing and sanding an expensive tool, to make it look more used.

Haha - no, no cleaner can do that.

This is a Leica M8.2 - a later version of the M8, which is finished by Leica in a black lacquer, that wears with regular use.

I do have the camera in daily use now for about 1 1/2 years.

When I bought it, it had already very slight brassing on the on/off switch, the tip of the RF window and some brassing on the base plate.

This behavior of the M8.2 makes it actually a more desirable camera to me, than my M9, which I know, will be sold in an eye blink, should a better sensor come around one day.

My M8.2 will stay!

The black M9 has a different paint process (powder coating), which doesn't wear the same.

I have seen cameras, that have been treated with car polish, to get a similar "shine" and sandpaper, to wear edges.

As interesting this might be, one can instantly spot a "user aged" from any "sanded" body by how the edges are worn.

I dislike the idea of filing and sanding an expensive tool, to make it look more used.

thanks for the info)

yeah the M8 is (price wise) moving closer to the hands of myself now. so i am guessing the M8.2 is the one to look out for.

I love the M8, but I must admit Santa Claus will bring an M9 under the Christmas tree...

Hope he has a Noctilux; pretty dark down there!