Still Loving the M8

wilfredo

Upgraded my M8 with some nice vulcanite covering... And yes, still love this baby. Maybe I'll upgrade to an M9 when the M10 comes out... maybe.

Eddie, "nice vulcanite covering" is the greatest ;-)

Genuinely thinking about having my M6 and M7 clothed into new Vulcanite covering as well, as I love it on the M8.2!

It might not look as slick, as the sandpaper, but it surely handles worlds better!

Nothing at all wrong with the M8! I still love and use mine as well (despite having an M9 as well). Still takes the same d*amn good pix it did when I first got it (back in 2008). It has been around the world with me and never let me down.

_1D_7847.jpg

I wrote an article not long ago actually, "Is the M8 Still a Good Choice?" IMO, YES!

• Like 1

Nothing at all wrong with the M8! I still love and use mine as well (despite having an M9 as well). Still takes the same d*amn good pix it did when I first got it (back in 2008). It has been around the world with me and never let me down.

_1D_7847.jpg

I wrote an article not long ago actually, "Is the M8 Still a Good Choice?" IMO, YES!

Which Zeiss lens is that and lens shade are you using?

Thanks!

Jeff

Which Zeiss lens is that and lens shade are you using?

Jeff, that's the Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/25 ZM lens with the 21/25 hood. Probably one of the best lenses I've ever used, on any camera... Especially on the M8 as it's the right focal length for me (~33mm). Though with the M8, in hindsight - I'd go with the 25/28 hood (I liked the rectangular, though the round is more effective. Still, never caused any issue).

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Summaron 3,5 cm.

Still saving for a grey B+H filter

Grey goat leather

Engraving by Leica

Some other handy attachments.

I used a little acetone, don't like ads.

It's one of the early M8's. A cheap screen protector destroyed the coating on the LCD. Don't use the LCD much anyway.

Picture was taken with a small Panasonic in low light.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Guest Ming Rider
Put your dot in a glass with acetone. Wait a night, clean it and you will have a silver Leica dot.

Almost a M8P ;)

6109913705_979a6c32d2_b.jpg

I'm not claiming that I came up with the Silver M8 with Silver dot but since I posted a picture of my M8 with Silver dot earlier in the year, I've seen a few appearing.

It certainly adds a certain style to the camera.

So yes I quite agree. Maybe we should call it an M8-P and in the same breath make a mockery of Leica charging another 500 quid for an M9-P.

Summaron 3,5 cm.

Still saving for a grey B+H filter

Grey goat leather

Engraving by Leica

Some other handy attachments.

I used a little acetone, don't like ads.

It's one of the early M8's. A cheap screen protector destroyed the coating on the LCD. Don't use the LCD much anyway.

Picture was taken with a small Panasonic in low light.

Now if you get rid of all the accessories, you get away with one hell of a compact picture taking machine!

Always loved the small, old LTM Summaron for this very fact.

• Like 1

I was reluctant to switch from film to digital but eventually had to make the change in 1999 in order to survive professionally. Since then, I've used numerous Nikon and Canon pro bodies, along with several Leica digital models. Of all the digital cameras I've used, my favorite by far is the M8. It's not great at high ISOs, but for 95% of my shooting, it produces the most beautiful, film-like images of any of them. I'd probably feel the same about the M9 if I had one, but for now the M8 suits me just fine.

PS to Leica: If you need an address to send the check, let me know.

• Like 2

I was reluctant to switch from film to digital but eventually had to make the change in 1999 in order to survive professionally. Since then, I've used numerous Nikon and Canon pro bodies, along with several Leica digital models. Of all the digital cameras I've used, my favorite by far is the M8. It's not great at high ISOs, but for 95% of my shooting, it produces the most beautiful, film-like images of any of them. I'd probably feel the same about the M9 if I had one, but for now the M8 suits me just fine.

Is that the black/chrome M8? As in the classic black M8? Did u put acetone all over the top plate or something? coz it looks like raw metal/magnesium like color...awesome!! :D

• Like 1

Is that the black/chrome M8? As in the classic black M8? Did u put acetone all over the top plate or something? coz it looks like raw metal/magnesium like color...awesome!! :D

Huh? That's just the way the black chrome finish looks... Flat black.

Though he did remove the white paint from the "M8" and swap the red dot for a black one.

Huh? That's just the way the black chrome finish looks... Flat black.

Though he did remove the white paint from the "M8" and swap the red dot for a black one.

i gues coz of the M8 whte paint is gone and the red dot is now black makes the whole black chrome finish looks more flat hehehe..but it looks sexy!!

The half case is nice ... a luigi?

BTW: Should I take the 50 lux ASPH in black or chrome? It goes with this M8 but also with a black M7?

BTW: Should I take the 50 lux ASPH in black or chrome? It goes with this M8 but also with a black M7?

That's up to personal preference.

I got a black m8, but I LOVE the look of the chrome/silver lenses.

Whatever you feel for.

... I guess the silver/chrome ones hold their value slightly better, but it's marginal.

With over four years of almost daily work, complete upgrade with Vulcanite my M8 remains my tool of choice.

• Like 3

I find this to be true of my experience, especially in B&W photography. I think the M8 comes closer to a film like quality than the M9. You have to love it, it has a unique signature. http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/people/202948-princesita.html

Edited by wilfredo