Still Loving the M8

wilfredo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you for your words David!

Lightroom might be a good step for me, I've used RAW + PS for 5 years now (when I started with digital photo).

About the off focus image its my own fault, I'm still abit new to the manual focusing, and due to the low light conditions I needed to shoot at f/2 (I have a summilux 40/2.0), so its an operator-problem I would say :)

I don't really hate it, I love it in every way, I'm just figuring out how to use it...

I was about to take some simple shots of a flyreel to be used at an online ad, didnt have a tripod at that moment, it was late and I just had one desktop light to use.

In that moment I was abit irritated that it was hard to get a decent shot with a camera of this class (used to my 5DMKII which would have managed that moment in a better way).

But that irritation went away pretty quick :D

Again, thanks for tips and criticism!

Maybe I should just point and shoot with the leica, and just use the images that the camera produces? :)

Dont be afraid to try post processing! Most of the time it's gonna give you huge help to improve "quality" of you final picture, according to your personal taste: colors, sharpness, composition (crop), exposition etc. Usually it takes some time even to get a proper understanding of such "simple" important things like "right wight balance", "right exposition" (your example), but that's the way how we learning. Mr. Google always ready to give you a hand of help in your education + fortunately we have lot's of recourses kind of this forum, where you can post you pictures and ask an opinion of other users about what can be improved here and there. Leica - it's such a fantastic piece of equipment to capture the most interesting moments around you (inside your family), so don't give yourself a permission to use it like a simple "point and shoot" camera! Use all available recourses to bring your shots to that level, what gonna make happy yourself and people around you! Here is some advice from my side: if you like B&W pictures (as I am), try to use a sweet plugin for PS, Lightroom and Aperture "NIK Silver Efex Pro 2" - this is a pice of cake for the B&W fans. I'm personally will wait for you next pictures on this forum, cause (as it was mentioned before) you pictures is really charming!

p.s: sorry for my english

Thank you for your words David!

I don't really hate it, I love it in every way, I'm just figuring out how to use it...

I was about to take some simple shots of a flyreel to be used at an online ad, didnt have a tripod at that moment, it was late and I just had one desktop light to use.

In that moment I was abit irritated that it was hard to get a decent shot with a camera of this class (used to my 5DMKII which would have managed that moment in a better way).

Hand-held close-focus has always been challenging on the M cameras. They really aren't very convenient for that. I'm disappointed that the DR Summicron won't work on the M8 and M9 as that was always the lead lens in my bag with film M cameras. There ARE work arounds, but they're time consuming. You're likely NOT to get that quick snap you did with your DSLR. It's the nature of the beast. Jeep ads used to admit that a Jeep wouldn't handle like a sports car, but that you couldn't take your sports car to the places you can go in a Jeep. They're different tools for different jobs.

BTW, your OOC .jpgs are, frankly, much nicer than your blown-highlight processed images. I like a silky transition from white to black, and that's what the .jpgs have. They can be improved... no doubt... but they're always a good reference as you work your way through a RAW processing cycle.

The bright-line rangefinder camera can be challenging, but when you get it right, it positively SINGS. Good luck!

Thanks all!

I've been taking photos for about 12 years now, gone through Hasselblad cameras, 10D, 1Ds, 5D, 5DMKII, the M8 is without a doubt the best one yet!

I've taken some better shots with the Hasselblad 500C, but I did use that one for 3-4 years, I'm sure the Leica will give me some similar shots.

I will look into the plugin packs available for LR and PS!

And I will ofc post more pictures here! The best way of learning!

Throwing in a few more from the last week!

Happy New Year!

F/4, 12s, iso160, Voightlander 15mm/4

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

No bathing at the moment...

F/2.4, 1/500, iso160, Summicron 40/2.0

Old meets young, my grandfather, 93 years old, cheers with my son, 1,5 years old.

F/4.0, 1/20, iso 2500, Voightlander 15mm/4

Slow morning walk, foggy, in Gothenburg.

F/3.4, 1/2000, iso 160, Summicron 40/2.0

Let the cat in, its Christmas!

F/2.8, 1/750, iso 640, Summicron 40/2.0 (cropped)

Slicing up the salmon, I'm sitting on the other side of the table, should have got a 35mm here, missing part of the action, and it's a bit of focus, but I think its a good shot anyway.

F/2.4, 1/15, iso 320, Summicron 40/2.0

Will this ever run? It haven't been started in probably 15-20 years, maybe next year? Time will tell...

f/2.4, 1/250, iso 160, Summicron 40/2.0

Edited by pwrdesign
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You need a B&W 486 filter.

Please note that images in the technical forums are for illustrating the (technical) points made in those forums. If you want to show your photographs you need to publish them in the relevant photo forums.

Edited by jaapv

• 2 weeks later...

Still loving the M8, true story.

Nice meeting you guys here.

I feel great walking with M8!

Leica M8 with M-rokkor 40mm f2 (with modified focus tab from Heavystar)

28mm 2.8 ASPH + Noctilux 50mm are coming later on.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

The 12526 hood does not fit on the Summicron 40/2 normally. How do you manage to attach it if i may ask?

you can grind/sand down the outside diameter of a step ring (series 5.5 to 39mm)

The outside diameter must be 42mm to make 'all' 35mm and 50mm hods fit like also 12585.

^Yup, exactly how it was done. Followed the how to/DIY guide posted here:

A Hood Solution for the 40mm Summicron

• 5 weeks later...

Hello, Leica has release many new lenses. However no code for M8. I know I wo`nt be buying any of lenses in my current economic situation but I felt they don't care about M8 users. So I sent email to Leica and I have got response saying" they are working on it and it will be available soon."

But I hope they will put some other extra features as "GIFT" to M8 users.

But anyway I am still happy with my M8

• Like 1

Hello' date=' Leica has release many new lenses. However no code for M8. I know I wo`nt be buying any of lenses in my current economic situation but I felt they don't care about M8 users. So I sent email to Leica and I have got response saying" they are working on it and it will be available soon."

But I hope they will put some other extra features as "GIFT" to M8 users.

But anyway I am still happy with my M8[/quote']

Working to release what?

Firmware?

Edited by ErikP

I know it's silly to take pictures of your photo gear, but who really cares? The soft light coming through the window begged for a picture. People continue to be astounded by the fact that I'm still using an old film camera. he he he...

On another note, I'm glad there is a steady trend toward used M8 purchases. This camera has as much to offer today as it did when it was first introduced. If you are a fan of the M8, tell us why? If you feel like being silly, post a picture.

New M8 custodian, really like your case, could I ask where you purchased this.

Also any other tips on accessories to improve handling would be welcome...

Thanks

Andy:D