How many Leica owners also have a Hasselblad ?

too old to care

I bought a 500C in April 2010, mostly because I always dreamt of owning a Hassie, and I needed a small MF for travel, and my Mamiya RB67 was HUGE. Got it for 700$, and I just had to fix a screw in the lens that cost me 140$ locally. Now it's working fine.

I used it the first time to shoot alleyways at night in Istanbul. Wide open, on a tripod, and I was blown away. I have to admit, old German Zeiss can compete with Leica glass. I compared it to my RB67. At 100% zoom, the Zeiss wins, with better colour rendition, tonal range, and sharpness. The difference is, you don't need to enlarge the 67 as much as the 500, as it's not a 6x6 neg.

I haven't used the 67 since, because it's just HUGE and heavy to carry around.

Just came back from Switzerland a week ago, where I shot about 12 MF rolls over 5 days. Didn't regret a single shot. The pictures are out of this world. That 80mm Planar has a way of rendering images that is heavenly. No other word to describe it.

The advantage of the Hassie is that it is small. Compared to other MF cameras, the size is small and you CAN shoot street with it, but it's not as discrete as an M.

I don't regret buying it. The lens really makes the entire difference compared to other MF kits. I've used the Mamiya 330, and as practical as it is, the quality does not compare to the Zeiss.

I would definitely recommend one.

FYI, these were shot on Portra NC 160. All night shots were taken wide open, on a tripod. Only processing was just increasing the blacks and decreasing the contrast because of the colour profile that my lab uses.

Moderated: Sorry FiZZ, I had to delete your images as they are Hasselblad and only Leica content images are permitted under forum rules.

Edited by erl

I have an appended question, without hijacking the thread. Do any members here recommend a good Hasselblad forum that measures up to what we experience here at the LUF?

There are several dedicated Hasselblad sites, but they are low key in comparison to LUF. There's an interesting Japanese site, but whilst the photography is excellent, I can't make out the text.

For answers, Hasselblad Info is OK, but GetDip is better. I'm sure there are experienced users here, but as images are not allowed it can't develop.

By far, the best place to communicate with other Hass users and for viewing serious work is Flickr. There's a dozen or so dedicated and active Hass groups showing great work, incl street. There are world class shooters posting amazing work there.

If you want some groups, or names to look for, just ask. :)

I use Xpan since 2008 along with Leica.

Lens are 45mm and 90mm that have f/4 as "wide open" but they are MFvery good lens.

With this "pano" I use same 135 film for 24mm X 65mm with choice of 24 X 36 if need be.

There is a very small web site in french "Passion Xpan". (308 members).

Arnaud

Good luck with your Hasselblad - always had a hankering for one myself. In the '60s and '70s I had a succession of 6x6cm cameras - Yashica 124, Mamiya C3 (a beast), Pentacon 6 etc. Getting the film bug again this year, I opted for a Rolleicord Vb due mainly to weight considerations but also because I wanted to use it at times for 'street' and a 'blad is neither light nor discrete. With the Rollei dangling at waist level and me looking down, most people do not realise what I am up to.

Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs and Large Sensor Photography

These people are civilised.

Medium Format Systems and Digital Backs - The GetDPI Photography Forums

These people have more money than even Leica owners.

Shooting 501CM with P20 back. If the OP had not bought already I would have recommended the 100mm lens as "standard" the 80mm is good but the 100mm is "better", but good luck and enjoy, I always have.

I've recently sold a complete, virtually unused Hasselblad 503CW outfit including 40mm, 50mm, 80mm, 120mm and 150mm lenses, hoods and metering prism. I bought it a few years ago with an idea of adding a digital back. I binned that idea some time ago and the Hasselblad stuff mainly sat quietly in various boxes doing nothing and not paying for it's keep. Every time I got the thing out to use it, it irritated me with it's slow, noisy, clunky and long-winded operation. With a Hasselblad you will work at the camera's pace and if you don't treat it well by planned maintenance, it will bite you.

If you are into Morris Minors, Citroen 2CV's, VW aircooled, coal, tweeds, Wright's Coal Tar Soap, Fred Dibnah, wrought iron, ginger beer, steam rollers and push lawn-mowers then you would probably make a very satisfied Hasselblad owner.

At least you can point and snigger at any poor sucker with a Rolleiflex tlr.

I've recently sold a complete, virtually unused Hasselblad 503CW outfit including 40mm, 50mm, 80mm, 120mm and 150mm lenses, hoods and metering prism. I bought it a few years ago with an idea of adding a digital back. I binned that idea some time ago and the Hasselblad stuff mainly sat quietly in various boxes doing nothing and not paying for it's keep. Every time I got the thing out to use it, it irritated me with it's slow, noisy, clunky and long-winded operation. With a Hasselblad you will work at the camera's pace and if you don't treat it well by planned maintenance, it will bite you.
Long-winded operation is NOT accurate. One thing the Blad is, is prompt, in MF terms. I have worked with them for 30+ years and competed comfortably with 35mm journalists for 'the shot'. I don't have a problem working with any camera's pace, Hassy included. I accept you may prefer 'machine gunning' with Nikons and Canons for example. Clearly, one must choose what works for the assignment.

If you are into Morris Minors, Citroen 2CV's, VW aircooled, coal, tweeds, Wright's Coal Tar Soap, Fred Dibnah, wrought iron, ginger beer, steam rollers and push lawn-mowers then you would probably make a very satisfied Hasselblad owner.
What a lot of unrelated twaddle. Sounds like something from a woman's magazine.

At least you can point and snigger at any poor sucker with a Rolleiflex tlr.
Frankly, this is simply uninformed and unintelligent comment. Rollei's are a superb instrument (I regret selling the one I had). Currently, they would be excellent for street photography and their lens is easily the equal of Hassleblad. Because they have different form factors, clearly their separate virtues are best applied in differing areas.
  • Like 3

Hasselblads rule for street work if you can tolerate 12 exposures per roll (I have not seen 220 for a long time.) If you are a sneaky kind of person you can use the waist level finder at 90 degrees. I'm not. But it might work for you.

If your subject is still enough you can use the pre-fire option for an absolutely silent exposure, and the quality of a 2 1/4" negative is so beyond 35mm digital...

If your maximum enlargement is 16x16 (or 16x24) an M9 will suffice, but not exceed the quality of a 2 1/4" negative. Nowadays nobody notices anyway.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

I've recently sold a complete, virtually unused Hasselblad 503CW outfit including 40mm, 50mm, 80mm, 120mm and 150mm lenses, hoods and metering prism. I bought it a few years ago with an idea of adding a digital back. I binned that idea some time ago and the Hasselblad stuff mainly sat quietly in various boxes doing nothing and not paying for it's keep[...]

In short - you never used the system you are criticizing. You don't know what you are talking about.

On the other hand, if you want to jump onto the track of latest-greatest digital you may as well just sell everything you have to keep up with the moving target already reached by the Hasselblad. Homeless in Digital Land. Good luck with that.

-

Pico - whose bored, stroked, dual carb, split cam, big headed 1958 VW still blasts those snotty BMWs off the road.

• Like 1

What a lot of unrelated twaddle. Sounds like something from a woman's magazine.

Frankly, this is simply uninformed and unintelligent comment. .

I'm sure Hasselblads are nice to own and use for enthusiasts such as yourself. I come from an era and an industry sector where Hasselblad reigned supreme and was once the cornerstone of what I do. The world has moved on and it would be difficult, if not impossible, for anyone who works professionally within my field to operate with old, slow, outmoded equipment such as this. There is obviously a place for cameras such as Hasselblads and Rollies within the enthusiast sector that you inhabit.

Nothing wrong with being an enthusiast, but your comments are as outdated as the equipment.

Calm down and have a cup of tea.

Honcho, let's just set the record straight on a few points.

I have had a cup of tea, but don't need to calm down.

Never thought of myself as an enthusiast, but I suppose i certainly am. No problem with that.

I am a working professional. Many thousands of weddings under my belt, using exclusively Hasselblad. Moved on to commercial and theatrical, and advertising, all using Hasselblad. Leica is currently my weapon of choice for the work I currently accept, but the Hasselblad put me where I am today, still in front of the competition in my region.

Oh, I forgot to mention, Hasselblad is anything but slow and outmoded. Like all good gear, it still depends primarily on the hands that hold it. It is just an alternative for those that can think outside Canon and Nikon, when appropriate.

Edited by erl