Leica M6 Classic, Changing the lever/film advance

Ronan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm not one to creating a thread but google and search feature didn't help me much (i find 'some' answers but nothing recent/concrete). A lot of dead links too. Especially on the RFF forum (which i was ban from... never even posted, just registered a week ago and then banned a day or two after... :confused:).

I own a M6 Classic (black chrome) that just came back from a complete CLA by Kinderman. WOW! :)

After a couple days of shooting and comparing to my M3... I hate the lever/film advance on the M6 Classic.

Can i change it to a black chrome M3 style (or similar)?

Where does one find it? Heck what is it called anyway?

What kind of tools?

Is it hard? (I'm a hobbiest, i build model kits and lightsabers with full electronics so i'm pretty handy with my hands/brain).

How much would it cost?

Thanks for the help :)

Ronan,

I am curious why you hate the film advance lever and if you felt that way before the CLA?

I ask as I too sent my M6 to Kindermann for a CLA this spring, they (Gerry) did a great job! But (why is there always a but) the film advance lever sticks out of place by a fraction of an inch and gets caught in my shirt as I walk now, it drives me insane!

Is it the same issue?

Frankly, I think the M6 is an amazing camera, I beat the hell out of it and it just keeps performing and never do I have rangefinder issues that we read about.

It is a true work horse!

Ronan, I fully understand you ;-)

When I added a MP, I instantly hated the plastic tippy advance levers of the M6 and M7.

I proceeded, to buy a MP chrome advance lever from Don Goldberg (send him a mail and ask for availability and price) and changed the lever myself.

You need a flexiclamp (I had a supplier wirecut me a custom made set, but you can buy them on eBay), that fits around the beauty ring of the shutter release button. The thread screw anti clockwise, to open.

This is after operation:

6014288914_9eb0ff86e1_z.jpg

on flickr

The MP/M3 style advance lever is a lot better than the plastic tippy thing. One can leave the advance lever folded to the camera and with one smooth move of the thumb along the top edge of the camera, the advance lever catches the thumb and is smoothly wound.

The plastic tippy lever actually reduces slightly the needed power of thumb, to wind (it feels lighter to wind, than with the MP lever), but I prefer the MP lever, since I used it.

• Like 1

@Allen, my issue is the plastic tip and overall feel and look.

@Menos, thanks! I'll shoot him an email Monday. I love your chrome M6! Saddly I couldn't find a chrome so I got the black one.

I also want to change the red logo to the Leica One. eBay asks for $70... Lol

Edited by Ronan

@Menos, thanks! I'll shoot him an email Monday. I love your chrome M6! Saddly I couldn't find a chrome so I got the black one.

I also want to change the red logo to the Leica One. eBay asks for $70... Lol

Haha - for that too, Don Goldberg of DAG Camera is your man ;-)

I have bought small spare parts and accessories from him on several occasions. He is a very, very good seller, to deal with, who even is very responsive and always friendly and helpful, when acquiring on something as ordinary as spare prongs for old type Leica shoulder straps - incredible customer service!

All my Leica M bodies do have black logos from Don ;)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I got a red and a black one here. They look very good although I've not replaced mine yet. Any tips anyone?

I'd like to replace my advance lever too. So it's just a case of unscrewing the ring around the shutter release?

Pete

- Unscrew ring around shutter release button (it is actually a hollow bolt, holding the shutter release button mechanics and the advance lever in place).

- Careful - between the top of the beauty ring and the advance lever sits a round spring washer.

- Change new for old advance lever, put sprint washer back in place, screw back in.

Finished.

• Like 2

I remember when the M4 first came out the reaction to the plastic & hinged advance lever was quite mixed. Most M2-3 owners thought it was hideous, while others thought it just looked more modern. I was still saving up for a Leica, and when the shop got an M4 I spent a lot of time with it, and realized I liked the feel of the new lever better. Eventually I bought the more expensive M4 instead of an M3.

Within a year we had some M3 owners asking if they could "upgrade" their advance levers to the M4 type. Tastes change back and forth...

It is a matter of personal taste. After 13 years of using an M6 I find it intuitive and reassuring to hold when the wind-on lever is extended. I have tried the M3/M2/MP cameras with the curved single jointed lever and they felt strangely unfamiliar in comparison. I am sure with sufficient use both types become second nature.

Nick

It is a matter of personal taste. After 13 years of using an M6 I find it intuitive and reassuring to hold when the wind-on lever is extended. I have tried the M3/M2/MP cameras with the curved single jointed lever and they felt strangely unfamiliar in comparison. I am sure with sufficient use both types become second nature.

Nick

...fully agree, Nick - I own both an M6 and MPs. Interestingly, prior to the launch of the current MP, very few considered or discussed any amendment to the M6's film advance lever.

What an interesting thread, I've had my M6 Classic for about 18 months, it went back to Solms last year for light trap problems and came back after repair and a full service plus 12 months guarantee and in all the time I've used it never once have I had any adverse thoughts about the film advance lever, its always seemed perfectly natural.

You learn a little every day

Best wishes :)

My biggest 'gimp' with the advance lever is that it simply feels weird. Compared to my FM2n advance lever that feels amazing, the M6 one feels its ALWAYS in the way, even when being used...

@Stealth3kpl WOW! Just ordered mine! $25 USD shipped to me. Saves me $50.

Edited by Ronan

For anyone interested, Don answered my email.

Don sells MP advance levers for ~$170. He can install them for $15 + return shipping.

He occasionally also has used MP advance levers for sale, ~$70.

• Like 1

Careful folks, who use M7 bodies and rush out, to buy MP advance levers now!

The M7 advance lever is a different item from the MP advance lever, as of the different measurements involved with the on/off switch.

Leica makes a "MP style" advance lever specifically for the M7 bodies, which should sell for a similar price, it is just a different item.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
  • 11 months later...

Careful folks, who use M7 bodies and rush out, to buy MP advance levers now!

The M7 advance lever is a different item from the MP advance lever, as of the different measurements involved with the on/off switch.

Leica makes a "MP style" advance lever specifically for the M7 bodies, which should sell for a similar price, it is just a different item.

May I ask where can you get / order the specific advance lever for the M7 body?

• Like 2