M8 - "Drive Blocked" "Shutter Fault" Fix?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Solms may well repair it for free though I think it is only sensor problems that are routinely serviced free of charge outside the warranty period. If you bought the M8 new within the last six years you have recourse to consumer laws which theoretically entitle you to have any latent defect repaired free of charge. Apple UK have a useful summary of this here. If it proves necessary to have to go down this route you may have the get the original retailer involved as, strictly speaking, the obligation falls on the retailer not the manufacturer (which, incidentally, is a reason to consider buying products like the bodies from the Mayfair store).

Edited by wattsy

• 1 month later...

My M8 came back today.

Shutter fault fixed,Shutter re-calibrated, Rangefinder re-calibrated, Firmware re-installed.

The whole camera looks to have been cleaned as it looks like a brand new unit, although obviously this is not the case.

Four weeks to the day it arrived in Solms.

All FoC so well done Leica!

My M8 came back today.

Shutter fault fixed,Shutter re-calibrated, Rangefinder re-calibrated, Firmware re-installed.

The whole camera looks to have been cleaned as it looks like a brand new unit, although obviously this is not the case.

Four weeks to the day it arrived in Solms.

All FoC so well done Leica!

How much did it cost?

• 3 months later...

Same error happened on my 5 years old M8 and sent it to Leica NJ and came back today.

It took about 4 weeks.

Leica replaced shutter but good thing was they found problem on CCD sensor and replaced it.

In my case, I asked to repair other things as well for next 5 years such as replacing rangefinder window, and switches so I paid $570.00 plus return shipping $23.50.

Images from camera are obviously better than before.

I was not sure whether I want to revive M8 or not at $600 but I did right decision.

Very satisfied now.

or Leica are embarrassed, so feel it is the least they can do;)

Yes point taken. I don't look through life with red dot spectacles so understand where you are coming from, but baring in mind the age of the camera mentioned the FoC service is quite good.

I had a 'coffee stained' LCD M8 and lets face it that was not the end of the world - the M8 LCD is pretty useless for previews anyway. But Leica did exchange my M8 for an ME with a price for my M8 above it's second hand value. Could be embarrassment on their part or just good customer service - whatever their motive it made me happy.