M8 - "Drive Blocked" "Shutter Fault" Fix?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Got the estimate today. Under replacement parts it said M8 shutter and Leather covering. I'm surprised, if anything I was going to be happy if it was vulcanite and not the original sandpaper covering that was worn down smooth. Anyone have an idea what specific leather they use?

Also getting a pixel/column restoration. I'm curious what that entails technically?

Edited by johnloumiles

Ask! You can get a-la-carte leather as well.

First thing Monday morning. Was just wondering if someone on here also recently got a M8 rebuild with same item on their estimate. Hmmm I wouldn't mind lizard skin, wonder if they have that on hand or if its a special order.

Also curious about the pixel/column rebuild.

• 2 years later...

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I was just about to send my M8 back to Solm after about 6 months sitting on a shelf with the Drive Blocked / Shutter Fault issue.

I'd previously tried giving the bottom plate a good rap, but it hadn't worked.

Anyway, before committing myself to sending the M8 back, I tried again, using a bit more force than previously at the same time as turning the camera on (I could hear the camera trying to do something with the shutter every time I switched it on).

Voila! Fixed!

I need to give the camera a good bit of use to see if the problem manifests itself again. Just fired off 20 or so shots in quick succession in the house and its behaved so far.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you for the suggestions to give the camera a good rap to fix!

• Like 1

My M8 had the same problem since several months ago but i found myself a solution which is to turn the switch on and off while pulling out the battery. If I don't use the camera for more than a day the problem comes back, but I can always quickly fix it with the same method. Not sure if I should send the camera back to Leica to get a permanent fix though

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, the fault re-occurred last week, and I can't seem to do anything to bring it back to life.

So, I sent the M8 off today; I'll be waiting to see how Leica respond.

Solms have had this camera back before with a completely self-destructed shutter. I'm hoping that given the history the camera has had, and low activations, that they're going to be nice to me.

I would love to upgrade to a Type 240 (no chance, the wife would kill me for spending that much on what she perceives as an unreliable piece of ****, which she brands all Leica digitals). Hell, I'd be happy to upgrade to an M-E. But there's no chance of that happening anytime soon if I get stung with a massive repair bill.

Just to be clear, the shutter cocking action performs two tasks. First, it primes the shutter itself by moving the cocking lever across; the shutter will latch in the cocked position once the lever has moved far enough - see my Anatomy thread from 2007.

The second action is to nudge the black release lever into the primed position where is held against a spring action by a permanent magnet; releasing the shutter involves passing current through an electromagnet to cancel the permanent magnet effect, the lever springs back and moves the release lever on the shutter itself. From this point, the shutter timing is controlled by two electromagnets on the shutter.

The are two optical sensors which monitor the cocking action. The first monitors the movement of the cocking lever and if that is restricted, you get the "shutter blocked" fault. The firmware does not see the expected sequence from the sensor because the shutter is jammed and the lever cannot move through its entire travel. The motor is then switched off to protect it. Tapping the camera on your other hand is unlikely to clear this fault.

A better translation for "shutter blocked" would be "shutter jammed".

The second sensor monitors the movement of the black release lever and it is only when this lever is in the primed position that the shutter is deemed ready. If this is not achieved, you hear repeated attempts to cock the shutter and it happens due to stickiness in the movement, debris on the release magnet or something else preventing the lever from moving into its primed position. That depends on the difference in force between two springs and it would not surprise me if cameras requiring this repair have modified springs fitted. I cannot be sure but I think these faults occur most often with early M8's, not M8.2's, M8u's, M9's and MM's which suggests there have been some changes over time.

It's this stickiness in the release lever which can sometimes be fixed by tapping the camera but it's unlikely to be a permanent fix.

Edited by marknorton
  • Like 1

Just to be clear, the shutter cocking action performs two tasks.

Ah! That was a very insightful post Mark, thanks!

So, (prior to sending my M8 off) I could hear the mechanism trying multiple times to reset the shutter. Does this mean that the second task is failing rather than the first?

It will be interesting to see if Solms can tell me what they actually have to do to fix the fault.

My M8 may be a fairly early... depends how long it sat in stock! It was purchased from a less frequented Leica dealership in late 2007.

Yes, sounds like the release lever is not being set correctly. If you look inside the camera throat, is the shutter cocked (white line visible)? If so, the shutter is probably OK and it's the release lever which is the problem. Try holding the camera in one hand and banging it vertically into your other open palm (be sensible). In any case, it should probably go back to Solms.

Just received a bill from Leica via email for the repair of my M8.... €0.00!

Now, I wouldn't read too much into it, as each case is considered on a case by case basis, but I am one very happy Leica customer today! That is customer care!

Pity they didn't offer me a cheap upgrade to an M-E though! :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...
Its only taken 5805 photos and the shutter has failed. That' date=' surely, in anyones view is poor. My brother has a Canon 1Ds that is currently at 544,000 actuations and still going strong. Good job I didn't use the M8 for paying jobs.[/quote']

They always replace it for free, so why care? Bodies are getting cheap so you could buy 2 and if one fails use the other while it gets repaired for free.

I've heard they never say it will be free, but when they see at arrival it's not because of dropping the camera or such... it will be free. (I send it to Germany so that might be different from Leica UK, but it was WAY out of warranty. )