Battery sill only charge 1/2 way...

steve_l

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I know there were many threads about this with the M8....but I didn't have the problem then, and this may be a different beast?

I have two batteries....one works perfectly and charges fully, the other was fine also, but now didn't charge at all (once, yesterday) and then charged only halfway, at least according to the INFO meter....

It is a somewhat older one (left over from M8 days)...is this a sign that the battery is dying (it isn't really that old and hasn't been used that much) or that the INFO might not be correct? Or that the camera might be reading it incorrectly somehow?

I haven't yet used it up to see how many shots it will take....

Thanks!

JAAP-

Yeah, I know about lifespan....but quoted typical lives are the equivalent of 300 full charges for many rechargeable, and I wasn't near that point. But I guess some don't last that long...

JAAP-

Yeah, I know about lifespan....but quoted typical lives are the equivalent of 300 full charges for many rechargeable, and I wasn't near that point. But I guess some don't last that long...

Li-Ion batteries live by years raather than cycles:(

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery:

"According to one manufacturer, lithium-ion cells (and, accordingly, "dumb" lithium-ion batteries) do not have any self-discharge in the usual meaning of this word.[35] What looks like a self-discharge in these batteries is a permanent loss of capacity (see Disadvantages). On the other hand, "smart" lithium-ion batteries do self-discharge, due to the drain of the built-in voltage monitoring circuit."

"Over time, the cell's capacity diminishes. The increase in internal resistance reduces the cell's ability to deliver current. This problem is more pronounced in high-current applications. The decrease means that older batteries do not charge as much as new ones (charging time required decreases proportionally)."

"A Standard (Cobalt) Li-ion cell that is full most of the time at 25 °C (77 °F) irreversibly loses approximately 20% capacity per year. Poor ventilation may increase temperatures, further shortening battery life. Loss rates vary by temperature: 6% loss at 0 °C (32 °F), 20% at 25 °C (77 °F), and 35% at 40 °C (104 °F). When stored at 40%–60% charge level, the capacity loss is reduced to 2%, 4%, and 15%, respectively.[51][citation needed] In contrast, the calendar life of LiFePO4 cells is not affected by being kept at a high state of charge."

Regards

Per