Sign in to follow this  
philipus

CLA query

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good afternoon everybody

I realise I am about to ask a question which may be impossible to answer, so apologies in advance.

I have been offered to buy an M3 with a 35mm f/3.5 Summaron (with goggles).

The M3 has a slight water damage to the viewfinder. Also the 1, 2 and 5 shutter times don't work. Needless to say the price is pretty good.

I guess that instead of a CLA, this one needs CLAR(epair). Does anyone have experience in how much this might cost?

I am in Holland and I understand Will van Manen is reliable. But I'm also interested generally what such an operation might cost in the various countries you are in.

Cheers

Philip

$300 in USA if viewfinder only needs cleaning internally, it will be part of clean up.

If prisms need resilvering or recementing, or total replacement, it depends.

Here in Italy an M3 in good conditions (no dents, no scratch, rangefinder with no defects, no vulcanite pieces missing, no rust, etc.) with box can be had at around € 1,100/1,300 depending from the seller.

Also bear in mind that being an extremely robust camera, outer damages such as scratch or missing vulcanite will significantly lower the price without affecting her real behaviour. Beware of dents on the top plate, because the rangefinder is very delicate.

I got mine at € 700, CLAed by the wizards at SAMCA here in Genoa, her only defect being a series of scratches on the top plate, probably due to a goofy owner who didn't know how to properly mount/dismount the Leicameter.

AFAIK Leica do not recondition the original .91 viewfinder. They rather replace it with the MP viewfinder. Reconditioning/resilvering is a service offered by third parties.

If the difference between the above quotation and the price you were offered is way greater than the cost of the CLAR then you'll make a bargain, but if they're comparable you'd better to search for something else. There's a lot of M3s in good conditions out there!

Cheers,

Bruno

Thank you very much, this is really helpful. I realise the price could vary quite a bit so I will think some more about it.

cheers

Philip

One of the best Leica techs in the world is Peter Grisalfi at CRR Luton in the UK. He looks after our Queen’s Leicas. He can rebuild and resilver the VF on a M3 as well as doing CLAs, repaint and replacing the vulcanite with new vulcanite (not leather).

Best wishes,

Charlie

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here in the US there is wide variance in the fees charged by independent Leica technicians from $120 to $450 for this kind of work. The higher-end charges don't necessarily correlate with superior work either so you have to know who you're dealing with. I'm sure it's the same in Europe and I've certainly heard about Will van Manen's good work over on this side of the pond.

How 'cheap' is the M3 you've been offered? Unless it's so low that even allowing for the cost of repair it is still less than the going rate for a good user, I really wouldn't bother. You risk that the repair costs will be more than just for a CLA - if it needs new parts due to the water damage for example.

There is probably a good reason why the seller has chosen to sell the camera as-is, rather than repairing it first!

M3's with warranty can be had for less than £500.

One of the best Leica techs in the world is Peter Grisalfi at CRR Luton in the UK. He looks after our Queen’s Leicas. He can rebuild and resilver the VF on a M3 as well as doing CLAs, repaint and replacing the vulcanite with new vulcanite (not leather).

Best wishes,

Charlie

Thank you very much Charlie. I will keop Peter Grisalfi in mind. I would hope it wouldn't be necessary to rebuild the camera completely.

cheers

philip

Here in the US there is wide variance in the fees charged by independent Leica technicians from $120 to $450 for this kind of work. The higher-end charges don't necessarily correlate with superior work either so you have to know who you're dealing with. I'm sure it's the same in Europe and I've certainly heard about Will van Manen's good work over on this side of the pond.

Thank you Peter. This answers a question that has been lurking in my mind since I recently became seriously interested in Leica (spawned in part by this interesting comment): whether there is much variation in quality of the CLA services offered. I would have guessed that to be the case to a certain extent; after all, a variation world-wide of any similar service is natural. However, my impression has been that those seriously interested in selling, collecting/using and servicing Leica are a conscientious and honest lot and that the variation might be a bit less pronounced.

cheers

philip

How 'cheap' is the M3 you've been offered? Unless it's so low that even allowing for the cost of repair it is still less than the going rate for a good user, I really wouldn't bother. You risk that the repair costs will be more than just for a CLA - if it needs new parts due to the water damage for example.

There is probably a good reason why the seller has chosen to sell the camera as-is, rather than repairing it first!

M3's with warranty can be had for less than £500.

Yes, you're pinpointing the worry I have. It is being sold for the equivalent 570£ with a 35mm f3.5 Summaron (incl hood). The lens does appear to be in good shape, however. I guess the margin for a "good deal" is pretty fine if the camera has to undergo serious reconstructive repair.

cheers

philip

Philipus,

if so may I respectfully suggest to treat yourself with something better? I got myself a Summaron f2.8 in collectors condition at less than €400 (roughly £ 350). Assuming the f3.5 can be had for cheaper, say € 250/300 (£ 220/260), they'd make you pay the M3 roughly € 400 which in its current condition is not worth.

Here's a link to an M3 in good conditions sold by one of the most reliable italian sellers, just to give you the idea: Newoldcamera - Scheda prodotto

and they ask € 550 and offer 2 years of guarantee...

Hope this helps

Bruno

I picked up a late model M3 a couple of years ago for £400. The vulcanite was intact and the viewfinder bright and clear, only the top plate had very slight marks from the light meter. It was also fitted with the Leica rapid load system but only came with a 30 day return guarantee.

I've not had it CLA'd and it has given flawless service since its purchase. Is it worth buying an example that you know needs work doing to it? If the 'good' price takes this into account then yes it may be as at least you will will have a camera that has been checked out but if the price doesn't adequately reflect its condition I would give it a miss.

Agree with Bruno and Howard.

The price is high considering the problems, the f3.5 goggled Summaron isn't an expensive lens and until a repairer takes the M3 apart you won't know the extent and cost of any repairs - water damage rings alarm bells!

Look for a better one.

Looking into a Leica M myself, one member here told me Will charges 220 euros for a CLA. Considering just those added costs (excluding the repair), I think it would be pretty expensive. Plus, having a f/3.5 lens as your only lens might be quite limiting.

Dear Bruno, Howard, James and Dutch,

This is very helpful information and puts the offer I received in perspective. I just received an email from Will van Manen. They say they expect to be able to fix the camera for 220, though they can't be sure of course. All things considered, including the fact that the f3.5 Summaron is a fairly inexpensive lens and even though this one is in very good condition, I realise that the offer is not as good as it first seemed.

Kind regards

Philip

Hi Philip,

If you are in The Hague, maybe you can visit Schouten Select in Capelle aan den IJssel. (It's not too far.) I have no personal experience with them, but heard from people on this forum that they are good, although a bit more expensive.

There is also Foto Henny Hoogeveen in Noordwijk aan Zee (not far either), which is supposed to be a good store. I think a colleague of mine goes there, but since he just left on a holiday I can't ask him about his experiences.

Just a few suggestions to consider for your search. Good luck with finding something nice!

Thank you very much for the tip of Foto Henny Hoogeveen. I didn't know of that shop and will have a look. I had looked at Schouten and also noticed that they, while extremely well-stocked according to their website, seem to have prices on the higher side (as compared for instance with Collectcamera or Newoldcamer; though, saying this I recognise that it is tricky to compare prices of used equipment).

Kind regards

Philip