NY street portraits

M-street

Advertisement (gone after registration)

First series of street portraits, shot in June 2011. I shot a similar series of portraits in Derby earlier this year, for the Magnum Workshop with Bruce Gilden.

I've tried to continue this series, this time in NY. I feel that I need to add bit more characters, so I plan on coming back to wrap up this series, hopefully with a bit more varied set as a result. But, for now, here's a selection of the portraits I shot this year:

(M9 / Noctilux f/1.0)

5884315296_d08f56c634_z.jpg

5893835112_5f9fe18d21_z.jpg

5912295773_a29c7562ef_z.jpg

5912299953_828ac6a344_z.jpg

• Like 9

5938384058_741e177e0e_z.jpg

I got a couple more that I haven't uploaded yet (haven't decided if I plan on showing them or not) and there's a couple more on flickr, but I think these are the best ones so far. There's some clipped highlights that I hope you can bear, made a bit worse by my rough processing :) I'll do a second round of more thourough work on these when I feel I got a complete series.

• Like 12

Guys, thanks for the nice words. I agree that n#1 seems kind of soft, to be honest they're all made with the same setting, so I think there's just a bit too much shadow in that shot that gives it a bit less 'pop' than some of the others. I definitely have my favorites, so depending on what I shoot next time I'm there, I will change some of them :)

Great, great work, some of the portraits are totally gorgeous.

Are you asking them before shooting? Just ask for a portrait or something more?

Thanks! Yeah, no secret to it really. Just stop them and politely ask them. Doesn't take more than a minute :)

...these images are simply stunning, Renze - the composition, tones and tonality are "just right". Question - re: depth of field, is it strictly down to the lens (and your pre-processing skills) or is there a degree of PP involved?

...these images are simply stunning, Renze - the composition, tones and tonality are "just right". Question - re: depth of field, is it strictly down to the lens (and your pre-processing skills) or is there a degree of PP involved?

That is the power of the noctilux! /drool