Luigi's M-Mate 2 baseplate opinions?

doubice

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am contemplating to purchase one of these and would like to hear opinions of M8 / M9 users who have one. Fit, finish, material used, strength, pro's, con's etc?

Many thanks,

Jan

Edited by doubice
Luigi, M-Mate 2, M8, M9

Fear of dust getting into the body seems a little excessive. Every other camera brand uses such doors for battery and card sockets without significant dust problems. Leica's removable bottom plate seems more like nostalgia for the film past than anything else. I've read that it provides greater body rigidity than would a fixed plate with small doors, but that sounds like pseudo-factual rationalizing.

I disliked the removable bottom even more when I was shooting film because I often seemed to need three hands to load a fresh roll. On the M8, it's just quaint.

......I disliked the removable bottom even more when I was shooting film because I often seemed to need three hands to load a fresh roll. On the M8, it's just quaint.

I used my teeth........ Tough during the winter months.....

Best,

Jan

I am contemplating to purchase one of these and would like to hear opinions of M8 / M9 users who have one............

Don't own one myself, but ........

8 GB cards give us a less frequent need to open the lid :D

Thanks for the opinions guys but, I would like to hear from somebody who actually owns one of these. As to opening the lid less often - when travelling, I open the lid at least once a day, to download the photos to an external storage. Batteries sometimes get changed twice day.

Come to think of it, the baseplate of my M8 gets removed much more often than it did with film M's. At least that is my experience...... YMMV...

Best,

Jan

• Like 2

With the original bottom plate there is nothing that can get broken off

in action, unlike the flimsy little hinged doors on my DSLRs or on the

the M-Mates

It's not difficult to hold both camera and bottom plate

in one hand while removing the card or battery with the other.

Give it a try.

Regards

S.F.

I use one since a year on my M8. Of course some fears could exist regarding the apparent breakability of the two doors, but till now I can't complain: it works well. Must say that, being an amateur this device is a little an overkiller...:rolleyes:

................It's not difficult to hold both camera and bottom plate in one hand while removing the card or battery with the other. Give it a try.

Regards

S.F.

I am aware that it is not difficult - have been doing something similar with film Leicas for close to 40 years........ But - we could not buy a hinged back for a rangefinder Leica, nor was there any such option available; now there is and I am entertaining the idea.

I use one since a year on my M8. Of course some fears could exist regarding the apparent breakability of the two doors, but till now I can't complain: it works well. Must say that, being an amateur this device is a little an overkiller...:rolleyes:

Marcel,

Thank you very much - finally an opinion from somebody who actually owns and uses one these contraptions.

Best,

Jan

• 6 years later...